Newsgroups from Outlook.

Michael Harding

It seems that Newsgroups can be available from Outlook (hoorah!). Trying to
follow the instructions (see below) I find that the Commands list mentioned
in 5, under "How?", doesn't include "News" and so I can't drag it to the
"Go" menu.

Can someone please explain how to get around this problem and so enable me
to access Newsgroups from Outlook instead of from Outlook Express?
_____________________________
The first time you use the newsreader, you must add the News command
to the Go menu.

1.. Add the News command to the Go menu.
How?

1.. On the Standard toolbar click the Toolbar Options arrow .
2.. Point to Add or Remove Buttons, and then click Customize.
3.. Click the Commands tab.
4.. In the Categories list, click Go.
5.. In the Commands list, click News, and drag it, without
releasing the mouse, until it rests over the Go menu. When the menu displays
a list of commands, point to where you want the command to appear, and then
release the mouse.
2.. Click the Go menu, and then click News.
_____________________________

Tom [Pepper] Willett

Outlook uses Outlook Express as the newsreader.

:
: _____________________________
[...]

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

You misunderstood. The News command only launches OE. Outlook is not and
never will be a news reader. If you still want to get the News command back,
you need to post your Outlook version. For Outlook 2003:
Internet Options and change the default newsreader to Outlook Express. If
OE prompts you to make it your default newsreader the next time you launch
it, clear the "Always perform this check..." box and then click the No
button.

Michael Harding

Very helpful, thanks a lot.
MH

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
Michael Harding said:
[...]

TvanderValk

You misunderstood. TheNewscommand only launches OE. Outlook is not and
never will be anewsreader.

Too bad. That gets in the way of a one stop information provider. They
recently added an RSS-reader, why no news?

Tom

Gordon

Too bad. That gets in the way of a one stop information provider. They
recently added an RSS-reader, why no news?

Because Outlook's primary installation base is in corporate environments
where NNTP access is usually prohibited....