Nervous

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Tomorrow I'm doing the disco at my niece's wedding. It's a very posh wedding, they've spent a fortune on it.

Her father is my ex brother-in-law, he's a good fella. He's a painter and decorator but most of his customers are corporate or live in places like Knightsbridge, so he has a few bob.

I've just mixed the last CD for tomorrow evening, including the first dance. This whole thing feels very surreal, gotta say. I am now 58 years old and turning up at places to play music for twenty-somethings from a coffin. You couldn't make it up, I think sometimes.

If you told me back in 1971 when I first started disco-ing by myself after working for another fella I'd still be gigging in 2009, I would have been doubtful. I setup with 2 other guys after completing a tour roadie-ing for T-Rex when 'Get It On' was in the charts and strangely enough, that was the first single I ever bought for the disco.

I still have it.

I have done so many bookings I normally couldn't give a monkeys, I never worry, give me a scenario and I've been there.

But I must confess I'm just a tad nervous about tomorrow. That's usually a good sign, usually means I try harder. And if you think I'm old the guy helping me, Johnny, is 66, lol

Old fart boogie - Groovy :D

It surely is a strange world sometimes but there again, these guys who are hiring me know what I do and since 1971 I could count the bad gigs on one hand. I'm good. I'm still good, hehe ;)

Ok, I've rambled here but just thought let I'd let you know my state of mind atm, makes a change from discussing computer systems ;)

Goddamn, looks like Eminem has made a comeback, that's a surprise, good luck to him.

My ex-wife will be there tomorrow with her new lover. Her new girlfriend.

Like I said - it's a funny old world ;) Her staunch Catholic mother is still in a state of denial. Odd, odd, odd.

Anyhow, have a good evening folks, I have a few CD covers to print out :)

Reaction score
Ive just read that mate. I'm lost for words

But i'm sure you have a cool night though!

Goodluck :D

Reaction score
You'll be alright old man, don't worry about it...You might be 58, but you come across as a very young 58..You sure the nervousness isn't because your ex is going to be ther with her new partner..? Sometimes een though we think we are over somebody, the thought of seeing them again with new partners can be a bit nerve wrecking...

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Hope you have a good night, Flops - I'm sure you will. :nod:

The fact that you feel a bit nervous only goes to show that you're a normal person. Nothing strange about that.

Reaction score
Dont be worryin mate....music is music....just play the goddam stuff like you always do....i'll be there with you in spirit or, maybe i shouldnt tempt fate....only joking, you'll kick ass with your nu Cold play album....dont play any pet shop boys though. I hope you have relax LOL. If its young crowd you will probably need a good bit of dancy stuff- anthems, like.
Nervous you say....i only get worried when me heart stops racing....oh and dont forget to compliment your ex's nu bird.
Zzzzz

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
you gettin paid for the gig ?

it is, a strange strange world indeed ... Flops has nerves ... hide in the coffin if it seems to be going bad, or just blame someone.

:D

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
What you need is a theme song:

happywave.gif

(And what we need are "tube tags"!)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Have yourself a great time Flopps - my guess is they asked you to do the disco, 'cause they know you're the best! :D :wave:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm sure your nerves will disappear as soon as that first song has played :) You keep being asked to do gigs so you must know your stuff :thumb:

Enjoy it Flops and let us know how it goes :D

Reaction score
It's not un-normal to be nervous before a big gig Flopps,.
You will as ever i'm sure be a hit on the night .
OK so the ex-wife is going to be their but that's life so just move ahead with things.
Good luck & hope all goes OK.:thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everybody :)

It was a mixed bag.

The records I chose went down well, the first dance went off smoothly, the house was rocking, but...

Lots of my CD's jumped and really rather left me with egg on my face :mad:

It was a combination of some scratched CD's and the realisation that the decks I was using are crap.

I think these are the ones I have: Link

They are not going to be used anymore, I shall take them to Cash Converters/Sell them on E-Bay/Give them as a gift to my worst enemy ;) and buy a pair of These.

I have used the Vestax decks before - my mate Andy has a pair - and they're very good indeed, they handled all the CD's I used with them and they read mp3's as well.

Lots of money but I'm never going through the embarressment of CD's not playing again.

As for the ex-missus, nope, it doesn't bother me in the slightest to see her or her with a partner, the marriage started going wrong in '97 and we parted company in '02.

In fact, she's asked me to do the disco at her 50th birthday party in October :D

So I said yes :)

Her girlfriend works for the National Trust so the idea will be to hire a Mansion from them cheaply near Glastonbury where they live and have all the guests stay overnight. Sounds like a plan to me.

The only other booking I have on the horizon is my twin daughter's 21st in September.

It was good to see lots of faces I hadn't seen for years, lots of people said hello to me and asked how I was and I replied 'Fine, and how are you?' whilst actually thinking 'Who are you?'

The guy who was looking after the Jacobean pile where the reception was held was a complete jobsworth, I'm surprised nobody knocked him out :D

I also had one very persistent bloke who kept asking to have a go on the decks and the mic, told me in no uncertain terms he'd get everybody dancing and that he owned a string of nightclubs. I just kept saying, very firmly 'no'.

You always get one or two eh? :rolleyes:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Glad it went well flops (aside from the CD's jumping!), if you're ex asked you to do her party then you must be good ;) :D

Ask a Question