My car + water. Uh oh

Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
Good news - it's not a write off - no water was sucked into the filter :)

£41.12 got the leads and plugs dried, and hooked up to the diagnostic computer.

but

Driving it home it still doesn't feel 100% right... acceleration is incredibly unsmooth with lots of flat spots where it has to think for a second... The computer picked up a MAP sensor error, which was making my car a little jerky under load before this, but that fault has always been there...

I'll have my dad look at it tomorrow... and if its still not right then back to Danny it goes!

edit: forgot to add... no wonder it was running rough - it was running on **TWO** cylinders!!

Chris!

Water state to be in!;)

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
it must have been a real dog to drive, did he check why its throing a MAP sensor error ?

Reaction score
Itsme: LOL

Me: Yeah it was terrible... foot to the floor in first gear nearly stalling on the slightest of gradients! Shaking violently too! note to self: never buy 2CV!

The computer threw an error showing the MAP sensor is going wrong... and its just an electronic sensor, that costs £50 to replace. i dont think its repairable...

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i kind know where your coming from, my car is 1L so its only got 3cyl the car hakes like mad and its absolutely gutless :blush:, but my sister is off to australia end of Nov for a year so i get her 1.9TDI golf
Dance.gif

you should get the sensor changed it will make things alot better, you should see better fuel economy and better performance

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
Me: Yeah it was terrible... foot to the floor in first gear nearly stalling on the slightest of gradients! Shaking violently too! note to self: never buy 2CV!

The computer threw an error showing the MAP sensor is going wrong... and its just an electronic sensor, that costs £50 to replace. i dont think its repairable...

Hey, quit knockin' 2CV's :mad:

Try one, you might like it.

No fancy onboard computers to go wrong, simplicity itself, 75mph on motorway in a 2CV is an experience everybody should have, if only to see the expressions on other driver's faces as you pass them ;)

Lest you forget

:D

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Hey, quit knockin' 2CV's :mad:

Try one, you might like it.

No fancy onboard computers to go wrong, simplicity itself, 75mph on motorway in a 2CV is an experience everybody should have, if only to see the expressions on other driver's faces as you pass them ;)

Lest you forget

:D

They are rather fantastic... my Mum had one called Dolly when my brother and I were young - I loved the fact that you could roll back the roof in the summer! I later found out that they are one of the most unsafe cars ever made... ah well, it was full of character ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Mine was called Flea, cos of the number plate and also after the Red Hot Chilli Peppers' bassist.

I really was fond of that car, but yes, they're not safe at all.

In a collision you may as well be wrapped in tin foil.

Reaction score
Me__2001 said:
i kind know where your coming from, my car is 1L so its only got 3cyl the car hakes like mad and its absolutely gutless :blush:, but my sister is off

lemme guess... it's the corsa i read about that does 0-60 in 21 seconds?

Wasn't knocking the 2CV, just comparing the noise it makes...

Bet they are fun though...just wouldn't feel safe...

1.9TDI Golf... nice! those things fly... what year?

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
lemme guess... it's the corsa i read about that does 0-60 in 21 seconds?
*edited*
1.9TDI Golf... nice! those things fly... what year?

yep its a corsa, and with my skinny but it will do 0-60 in about 16 seconds which is ok if theres more than me in it then its another story :blush:, i can beat most cars of the lights and hit 40 in second gear which is funny when you see the look on their face as you drive by, its not a bad car just kinda slow but it does get about 40mpg with my lead foot
evil4.gif
, the golf is a V reg which is 2000 i think and is so much fun to drive, i cant wait

Reaction score
you beat most cars off the lights? in a 3C 1.0l Corsa?! Thats impressive!

16 seconds though... ouch... is it a case of you get them at the lights, then 3 seconds later they go flying past?!

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
where i usually do it theres two lanes that filter into one and the limit is 40 which is perfect because second runs out just about then so i can beat most people as its suprisingly quick to 40 (and especially in the morinings as nobodies paying attention) but third is useless for accelerating which is why hitting 60 takes so long.

there was one time i was going to do my normal trick to jump some traffic because im running late and as i stop i looked over and what do i see ? a porsche carrera turbo S with a rather nice looking woman driving it, and im thinking its ok its a woman driving i'll beat her even though shes got about 300 odd Hp to play with, how wrong i was :blush:, as you've probably guessed she was gone before i had even started moving, i met her later that day near my school and asked where she learnt to drive like that, turns out shes an amateur racing driver :eek:

Reaction score
Haha sweet!!

Well i think i have found what part of this whole problem is...

Plug 1 - note the shorting marks at the end of the crack. Need i say more?

attachment.php

I THINK the red deposit on the ends are due to a fuel additive i put in to try and stop my car misfiring... correct me if i'm wrong!!!

I bought some Bosch Super 4 plugs from Halfords - am going to fit them shortly. Aparently they are very good plugs. These ones were NGK which dad tells me are good... but they are no good now.

Attachments

• DSC00722.JPG
    DSC00722.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 138

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Hmmm, that dont look good does it? My bro swears by Super 4's.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Haha, yep, that'll do it every time :D

I had a similar problem on my Merc. The end of the coil, where the lead enters, was cracked and it was arcing to the bulkhead. I didn't notice it until I opened the bonnet in the dark. Made it run a little sluggish.

Wrapped it up with tape at first but eventually bought a new coil. S 'ok now :)

Reaction score
Chris!

By what I see tells me that the garage that checked your problem is not IMHO supplying a very good standard of workmanship, as that should have been one of the first items to examine as with all electrical parts???? Misfiring?:rolleyes: I think they are on all four cylinders. :eek:

Reaction score
Hmm...

Well i fitted some of these babies

attachment.php

And so far (need to drive in the wet)... Everything seems OK.

Is there actually any proof that the super 4 plugs are any better than regular style ones? it says on the packet that the plug chooses the best quality spark from each of the four prong things and delivers that one, improving acceleration and efficiency. is this rubbish or true?

Attachments

• DSC00732.JPG
    DSC00732.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 145
Reaction score
:thumb: Yep they do exactly that!they put the power where it`s` needed RAM baby RAM;) Drive of your life:D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Chris - I've used those spark plugs before, on a Cavalier and a Volvo estate - they are worth the extra money :thumb:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
Hmm...

Well i fitted some of these babies

And so far (need to drive in the wet)... Everything seems OK.

Is there actually any proof that the super 4 plugs are any better than regular style ones? it says on the packet that the plug chooses the best quality spark from each of the four prong things and delivers that one, improving acceleration and efficiency. is this rubbish or true?
advertisement is truthful, isn't it ... by law. ;)

Don't we choose are RAM on the same idea? :D

Ask a Question