MSN-Messenger Virus Alert!

Reaction score
im lost wot does it do to ur computers? at the moment it just asks me to run it wen i log on

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I think AntiVirus companies will be coming out with a way to fix this in the next couple of days - unless you can undo all of the file changes in the link listed just before, I'd hold tight.

If you have a good firewall, you should be able to block access to the offending site.

Reaction score
i dont know if anybody else got this but when i got it there was also this thing called click me ... i think it was a kinda internet phone thing. maybe it opened a back door or something. but i would click no and it would still install on my pc along with elite bar... ther are some ppl that said they got rid of the virus without formatting it their pc. have you rebooted your pc yet? cuz it is possible that it could come back when u reboot.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Do virus creep into you computer with out knowing or can they acesss you computer only if you click on something?

Reaction score
im guessing that clicking on something might give a virus access to your pc. if ur antivirus doesnt find it i guess it does kinda 'creep' into ur pc ...

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
some worms and trojans viruses can sneek onto your comuter just by you being connected to the internet, but many viruses actually require you to click things in order for them to be activated.

ALWAYS make sure your virus software is up to date with updates.
If you still don't have any virus protection....Get some!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
what do is the best antivirus software? ... i mean almost everybody has norton but are there any better than norton or symantec?

Reaction score
personally, i don't like Norton, to much of a resource hog for me.

Mcafee is better (in my opinion, anyway), and also AVG is a good one - and it's free!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
thamenace said:
what do is the best antivirus software? ... i mean almost everybody has Norton but are there any better than Norton or Symantec?
Yes No, Maybe ... it really depends on how you perceive "what is the Best".

Let me just point out one thing ... we are NOT dealing with a virus here, its a Worm or Trojan that is infecting MSN ... Now, having said that, any decent AV program, such as Norton, will have it its power to at least detect these "Nasties" and if they have the means, will delete them for you.

In answer to your question, and as a avid Norton user, I find that there is one that springs to mind that is constantly proving to be a better alternative. That is http://www.kaspersky.com/trials?chapter=146481750http://www.kaspersky.com/trials?chapter=146481750Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal ... it's not free but it is fully functional for 30 days.

Worth a shot as KAV constantly provide updates every 3 hours, or whatever timescale you like, but it IS better at detecting Worms/Trojans and other nasties.

;)

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
I use Norton from Symantec, but so long as you choose your antivirus from one of the big names you should be fine.

Such as:
Symantec
AVG
McAffee
Kasperspy
....there are a few more I cant remember, and each have different plus points.

Reaction score
when i was tryin to get rid of this ... whatever ... i used norton ( didnt even detect it) ... someone told me to try avast .. it detected it and every couple seconds it told me a worm was found ... i ran the virus scar and found 7 trojans, 5 worms ... i deleted them and it still came back when i rebooted. plus it added like about 200 spyware stuff that i tried to get rid of with ad-aware and spy-bot ... i couldnt take it ... i did it like about 5 times and got pissed and formatted my pc

muckshifter

Reaction score
What is the difference between viruses, worms, and Trojans?

[size=-1]Situation:[/size]
You want to know more about computer viruses and how they differ from Trojans, worms, and hoaxes.

[font=ARIAL,MS SANS SERIF,UNIVERS,HELVETICA][size=-1]Solution:[/size][/font]
The term virus is often used as a generic reference to any malicious code that is not, in fact, a true computer virus. This document discusses viruses, Trojans, worms, and hoaxes and ways to prevent them.

... and for even more information follow the link below.;)
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/docid/1999041209131106

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
i use AVG it work well. by virus protection do you mean something like a Firewall? or just a antivirus program?

muckshifter

Reaction score
thamenace said:
when i was tryin to get rid of this ... whatever ... i used norton ( didnt even detect it) ... someone told me to try avast .. it detected it and every couple seconds it told me a worm was found ... i ran the virus scar and found 7 trojans, 5 worms ... i deleted them and it still came back when i rebooted. plus it added like about 200 spyware stuff that i tried to get rid of with ad-aware and spy-bot ... i couldnt take it ... i did it like about 5 times and got pissed and formatted my pc

I did warn people that this little "Nastie" was going to be a little bugger to remove ... and I'm sorry to say that a lot of people will be doing sam as you.

:(

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
yea on our older computer we have a few adware that i cant seem to get rid of, ill update and try later

Reaction score
virus contains more than one file

My sister got hit with NewImage-9.exe last night. Today I also found some other questionable exe's. Here is a list of them:
Definst.exe
jocker.exe
ysbinstall_1000489_3.exe
upsiral.exe

They were mostly in her documents and seem to all be gone.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
hmm, that was pretty fast, all the better for MSN users :)

Ask a Question