Motherboard Screws

Reaction score
Motherboard Screws / HDD Slave or Master :S

Heya guys. I have just recieved most of the parts for my friend's pc i am building - PSU, CPU, RAM, Motherboard and HDD

But he wants to use his old case, but with that motherboard there is only 6 screws, and 2 missing on the last 2 edge of it ... will this affect the new motherboard, because he still used his pc even though these were missing ?

Are these SPECIAL screws, as i have ALOT of screws in my basement so could i just use one of them if i NEED more screws or ... ?! lol

Really eager to start building tonight with me dad ! :)

Just waiting for my friend to give me the money for the graphics card, and maybe by the looks of it ... a new case !!! lol :)

Thanx

Also ... i get confused when you talk about setting the HDD to Slave or master or something ... what does this mean ... what's the difference ?!?! :p

Thanx again

Last edited:

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
The screws are only there to keep the mobo safe and secure, so the more screws the better. It'll only take you a few extra minutes to put some more screws in so why not do it?

As for setting up your hard drives, If you only have 1 HDD you will need to set that as Master, if you have 2 you will need to have the one you want to install the OS on as the Master and the other one will be the slave.

Reaction score
Well i actuallyhave 6 now ... lol :) That should do the trick ...

Oh i see ... well he has one SATA 300GB HDD so set that to master :) Thanx Reef :) lol

And are all PSU's ruffly the same size ?!?! Coz i had to get him a new one :S

Thanx

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
All ATX PSU's should be te same size, give or take a few mm.

Anyway, you said your fitting a S-ATA HDD, i dont think they even use jumpers :/.

Reaction score
Oh haha !!! That's good then !!! lol :)

Well i havn't really look at the HDD yet ... still in it's packaging :p

I think i may have lost the C.D cables :S Do they come with the new motherboard or not ... i might just buy him a new C.D player and DVD or something :S

lol Thanx

Can you just check if the HDD and Motherboard i ordered are compatable -

Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 10 NCQ 300GB 6B300SO SATA 16MB Cache - OEM (HD-040-MD)

Asus A8V Rev.2 Deluxe (Socket 939) Wireless Edition Motherboard (MB-063-AS)

Reaction score
On the CD-RW issue ... the motherboard provided me with the CD cable thing ... the ribbon cable ... do i need another cable to connect the sound or something ?! Thanx lol

Reaction score
So i do then ?!?! lol :S

Well, what else would i play the CD directly ?!?! :S bit confused lol

Where can i get his cable from ?!

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i thought you could play directly from the cd drive without it if you are using an 80 pin wire

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure, i just thought that cable was for playing music cds directly from the CD drive so ya can listen through your speakers.

I never play music cds directly from me comp, so dont quote me on it! Just from a past experience with an old comp ;).

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Belloni said:
So i do then ?!?! lol :S

Well, what else would i play the CD directly ?!?! :S bit confused lol

Where can i get his cable from ?!
You dont need an "audio cable" ... the 80wire ribbon cable will do it all for you.

Ask a Question