Modem Router Usage Query

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Another daft question I'm afraid... but please could anyone put me straight on this? I was just reading a piece (this was elsewhere on the web) which said that it wasn't adviseable to "keep re-booting the router." So, being totally green about this, does it mean that if I completely closed down the PC (overnight for example) then booted-up again next morning, is also going to mean that the router is re-booting also?

I'd like to try and understand so that I don't inadvertently 'cream-cracker' anything by just going through my usual routine.

The router I shall be using (come Tuesday hopefully) is a Netgear DG834 ADSL 2+ wired Modem Router.

Any advice most gratefully received :nod: Thanks Guys :D

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
turning your pc off wont affect the router, as long as the router is plugged in it will stay on and connected to the net

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Oh thank you Me__2001, that is helpful to know :thumb:

Um... so just assuming that we had a power-cut, or a cracking thunderstorm (both of which sometimes happens around here - thankfully not often) and it was necessary to disconnect the router from mains/telephone line - does it have any kind of a 'memory' for it's settings? Or would it mean going through a set-up process from scratch please?

Once again, I apologize for what is probably a really silly-sounding question. But it is something I have never had any dealings with before, so a tad fazed by even the simple stuff at present :)

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i've never had to enter mine again and we've had a couple, you can backup the settings to your pc when you log into the router though just to make life easier

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
It's ok to leave it unplugged from the mains for a while.

Very occasionally, in fact, my modem/router (Netgear, hard-wired) gets a little confused, poor soul, and won't let me connect to the Net.

The only way to remedy this is by pulling the power and then re-powering up.

It does only do that at most every six months though, quite a rare thing to happen.

Your router will have it's own address (see the manual) where you can 'look' at it and change settings, it's accessed from a Browser.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
When you get connected to your ADSL service you will go through a ten day 'training' period where the system wil sync you at higher and lower speeds to work out what your MSR is (maximum stable rate) So for the first ten days try not to turn off or resync your router as this will make BTs system think your lne is unstable and may result in lower speeds. :)

Have a read of this, its a good explanation of ADSL MAX.

http://www.dslzoneuk.net/adslmax_explained.php

Any more questions just ask. :thumb:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Me__2001 - I shall certainly look into backing things up... now that I know it is possible :thumb:

Flops - thank you for the tip, it is really handy to know this kind of thing (rather than flying into a panic ;) ) so will remember to try that if it too decides to become 'confused.' :nod:

V_R yes, I was expecting the initial speed variations whilst things are being stabilised, but I have also noted your advice about not turning off the router during that time :thumb: a jolly good point. A jolly good link also, I will bookmark it because it contains such a lot of useful info.

Thank you Guys, your answers are all much appreciated and have helped me a lot :thumb: :D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Backing up your settings in the netgears is dead easy, just export them via the web interface as a .cgi file iirc. :)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
V_R said:
Backing up your settings in the netgears is dead easy, just export them via the web interface as a .cgi file iirc. :)

Oh I am so glad that you've said that V_R, because prior to purchasing, I'd read some very good reviews regarding how easy they were to set-up and use, etc., but as always, it's even better to see it written by someone you trust :thumb: :D

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i have pretty much the same router and it really is as simple as clicking a couple of buttons and choosing where you want to save it

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Aww great ME__200, thank you for all your troubles guys, I am feeling better about it by the minute :thumb: :D

Ask a Question