Mobo Change

Reaction score
Reluctantly, I have abandoned the AMD camp as I can't upgrade my 939-pin CPU any further, so I've gone for an Intel Q6600 Pro coupled to an Asus P5K mobo.

I plan to simply switch over my ROMs and SATA discs and reboot.

What will happen if I reboot the machine with the Intel processor, when XP has all the AMD drivers loaded? Will it boot okay and just ask for new ones, or should I remove everything back to the generic x86 drivers before opening the case?

Thanks,
Jock

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
You will need to do a complete new install of XP and then add the new drivers.

Just install the new set-up, boot from the XP disc and do a fresh install - but you may need to phone to get your XP re-activated.

Reaction score
Cheers Ady, but please tell me: I have several accounts, one admin and three others for wife and kids - last time I did an XP re-install, I lost the password permissions on basically all user directories and it took me a week to get the file permissions sorted.

If I do I straight XP reinstall as you've suggested, will it retain the users and all their directories and permissions?

Thanks,
Jock

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
everything will be wiped if you do a clean install, thats they way it is

you'll have to backup all of their files and settings before you do anything

Reaction score
By all means give it a go when you first get it all setup, turn on your computer and see what happens there could be a chance it works, but if it does not there might be a way around this which will be long and need research. But a fresh install would be the best and easiest option.

You will lose all data so like me said make sure you back up all the data that you will need in the future.

Ask a Question