Intel Q6600 G0 - an overclock monster!!

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
At the weekend thought I'd put together a new Quad system using the new Intel Q6600 G0 (the new G0 stepping version of the Q6600 runs at 95W instead of the 105W of the old Q6600 B3) to see if the reports were true that they run cooler and hence OC far better - and so far I have not to be disappointed.

The System I built is as follows:

Intel Q6600 G0 CPU
Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme + YS-Tech 120mm 125CFM fan
Asus P5K Deluxe Wifi
Corsair HX520 PSU
2GB Patriot DDR2 800 (4-4-4-12)
Samsung 80GB SATAII
Cheap ATi Radeon X1050 GPU
DVD-ROM
Floppy
Antec Solo Case

Build Pic:

1188241113.jpg

Ran first time like a dream.

Then I started the OC'ing - and after going up in steps from 2.4GHz to 3GHz and 3.2GHz without any problems stability or temperature wise, I have now just taken it to 3.42GHz - a 42% overclock - and it still remains nice and steady.

Below is a screeny of it running WCG at full load on all 4 cores - and look at the temps, I am very impressed when you consider these quads naturally run hotter than C2D's due to their architecture :thumb:

As is often the case with these quads, one or two cores are out of step due to either the CPU or HS base being slightly uneven, so I may have to lap one or the other - but to be honest I can live with it at these temps - although to get them all at 52C would be nice.

1188408599.jpg

If anyone is thinking of upgrading, the I can thoroughly recommend this new Q6600 version (£175) along with the Asus P5K board :thumb:

user.gif

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm glad you posted this Ady, as I've been looking at this CPU in the last few hours! How loud do you find the machine?

I've spec'ed up a decent gaming system (using an 8600 rather than the 8800), but I chose an E6600 at first. Can you notice much of a difference in day-to-day running of the machine, as IIRC you had an E6600 too?

That's a phenomenal overclock you have there :D

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
The noise is fine Ian - the Antec Solo case has great insulation and the YS-Tech fans, although not the quietest, are just a purr.

I don't do gaming Ian, so I really don't know if having a quad would benefit in that way - but I've actually got a better, cooler, and more stable OC with this new Q6600 than my old E6600 - and if you look at the prices these quads are now I think you are getting more bang for your buck.

I have been reading of folks easily getting up to 4GHz on air with these new G6600's - but I don't think I'm going to go there.

Oh, and I still have my old E6600 available if you really want to go down that route ;)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks :) This has given me some more to chew over tonight!

I'll post a new thread about my upgrade to keep this one clean - as it has gone from a £60 graphics card upgrade to a full machine :lol:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I know what you mean Ian - I seem to remember I started crunching a couple of years ago with just an XP2000+ :D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Nice one Ady, Good to read as i have been pondering upgrading to a Q6600 for a while now......:D

Out of interest, For a comparison what were the temps when its as stock?

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
At stock, under full WCG load 38-39C - idle 27-28C :cool:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Good temps mate, That Thermalright is a good un. :thumb:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
It sure is, especially when coupled with that YS-Tech fan.

I see there is now a smaller version of the Thermalright HS, the Ultima-90, and its been getting great reviews too - would suit smaller cases :thumb:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Is that the YS FD1238 Fan thats 40 dBA? Think that would be too loud for me as i am in the same room as the pc most of the time. :)

EDIT: Forums just crashed! :eek::mad:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
When you have a room with a dual-quad running Vantec Tornados you don't notice it mate
laughingsmiley.gif

Actually in that Antec case the YS-Tech is just a purr - they are well insulated :thumb:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I thought you'd say that, very fair point and your not in there all the time so i guess it make little difference. :)

Am quite temped to get me one of these, and maybe this to cool it, if i didn't go for the Ultra 120.

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
What settings did you use for your overclock Ady? I took your recommendation, and I'm typing this on a Q6600, P5K and that bargain 800 Mhz Ram :thumb:

I've got the "AI" options in the BIOS set to auto at the moment, but I don't know if that will actually overclock the system (and the manual doesn't seem to explain). I'd like to try something like 3.0Ghz, without changing any voltages. Would that be quite a simple thing to do? The last time I did a proper overclock was on my Celeron 450:lol:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
If the bios is anything like mine you need to disable or set as much to manual as possible.

Start by disabling spread spectrum, Intel Speedstep, C1E.

Set the RAM timings and volts. Set the PCI E Frequency to 33.33.

Then its a case of upping the FSB etc. I'm sure Ady will tell you what to aim for, voltage wise etc. :)

Found this if its any good to ya?

http://forums.hexus.net/showthread.php?t=110267

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Sorry Ian, just back in from work :thumb:

That guide from V_R is pretty good - follow it and you will be fine - for a 3GHz OC you will not need to adjust voltages manuallly - set the RAM voltage/timings to what the RAM spec says, and leave the CPU voltage at auto.

Adjust the other settings as per the guide.

Leave the PCI-E Frequency at auto or 100 - then just adjust the FSB to 333 and bobs yer uncle :D

Captain Jack Sparrow said:
Wow!:eek: Very impressive! Like the Asus MB

Nice cooler! How much did the CPU cost you?
£176 :thumb:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
V_R said:
Set the PCI E Frequency to 33.33.
Just re read that, i mean the PCI Clock not the frequency, as Ady said that needs to be set to 100-110. Some say it helps graphics performance. Dont go above 120 though, it could kill the Graphics card and hard disk apparently. :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks to both of you for the advice, I'm now running along smoothly at 3Ghz :)

Idle temps are:

I thought I'd applied the AS5 evenly, but perhaps not. :eek: Still, as long as they aren't too high I don't see a problem.

Ask a Question