Phenom II

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Hey yall,

As some probably new the new AMD Phenom II Quad Core processors are due to launch in 3 weeks (ish) and after scouting about i've managed to find some half decent benchmarks for them.

The two models at release will be the Phenom II - 920 @ 2.8Ghz & the 940 @ 3.0Ghz, same naming scheme as Core I7.

There is said to be an upto 20% increase clock for clock over the previous Phenom Quad Cores.

I had a Phenom 9850 @ 2.5Ghz and it wasn't very good when compared to the Intel Q6600, it didn't overclock well, ran quite hot at stock and it just never seemed happy.

The new Phenoms are not meant to rival the Intel Core I7 range, but are more of a mid-range desktop.

Predicted prices will put the 920 around £190 and the 940 around £230 but again people are just guessing, fingers crossed if AMD ubdercut Intel on price/performance again then we shall see some interesting price drops. A week before the original Phenom line up was released the Q6600 was over £250, it dropped to £140.

http://my.ocworkbench.com/2008/asro...I-X4-940-overclocking/Phenom_II_X4-info-1.htm

New Athlon dual cores are to follow around March/April.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'm interested in Quad Core but mainly as it would make a good crunching PC.
Not much, if any Dual or Quad Core software out their apart from Boinc!!

Last edited:

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
They are Quad Core, revised versions of the previous ones, After having both Intel & AMD Quads i think its fair to say the Intel lineup is better, but these should bring the price down.

Best bet will be a Q6600 in March as in January Intel are releasing a cease notice for it so by April it will be binned, should be pretty cheap by then as E-tailors try to get rid of stock.

Overclock that at 3.2Ghz and crunch awayyyyyyyy.

Reaction score
Only 3.2Ghz.... they O/C'd one to 6.2Ghz and had it running stable :O
Various sites O/C stats were removed due to the NDA they signed.... naughty naughty.
However it's been said that it would gladly O/C to 4GHz on Air and 4.6-5Ghz on Liquid.

How'd u like them Apples ?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
JaLing said:
Only 3.2Ghz.... they O/C'd one to 6.2Ghz and had it running stable :O
Various sites O/C stats were removed due to the NDA they signed.... naughty naughty.
However it's been said that it would gladly O/C to 4GHz on Air and 4.6-5Ghz on Liquid.

How'd u like them Apples ?

Sounds reasonable. Was that at stock voltage and on air . Is there any proof ?

ASRock are proud to announce that a world record overclock has been achieved with their AOD790GX/128M motherboard in conjunction with one of AMD's Phenom II (Deneb / 45nm) processors, the 920 which runs at a stock speed of 2.8GHz.

The Overclocking World Record Database shows a WR result with the processor running at 280x14 which brings it to 3922.57MHz. What's even more impressive about this result is that it was achieved using just traditional air cooling whilst feeding 1.55v to the chip.

You can view a bit more detail about the overclock within this supplied PDF document from ASRock.

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/10841/world_record_phenom_ii_o_c_using_asrock_mobo/index.html

It is always nice to know if you can achieve the same results at home.

:D

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
cool was wondering when the new chips were going to come in

Ask a Question