AMD Says Bulldozer Is 50% Faster than Core i7 CPUs

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
AMD's long anticipated Bulldozer architecture that has been in development since 2005 is finally getting ready for prime time, and early reports suggest it to be 50% faster than current Core i7 and Phenom II processors, a worthy feat however you may look at it.

According to the DonanimHaber website, AMD reportedly gave out these performance figures in a presentation to its partners.

The document cited compared an 8-core processor based on the "Bulldozer" high-performance CPU architecture with a 4-core, 8-thread, Intel Core i7 950 and with a six-core Phenom II X6 1100T CPU, in three different usage scenarios (media, rendering and games).

The results varied depending on the tasks run, but, finally, the Bulldozer processor proved itself to be approximately 50 faster than the Core i7 950.

Read more at the link below...

Source - Softpedia

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
That'll be a turn up for the books if AMD take the performance lead again.

Wonder what the cost will be in comparison?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Will be interesting, and good for the consumer, providing the figures are truthful...

Price war on CPU's will be good for us consumers. :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm glad that AMD could regain some ground from Intel, I know of very fery people with AMD systems now - it seems to be Intel all the way. A price war could be just what we need, especially if they are good overclockers :D

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Would like to see it happen but I don't think AMD has ever been faster than Intel. AMD has always provided a cheaper solution but even today an i5 is better bang for buck than anything AMD has to offer. The latest instalment of the phenom was abit of a let down too.

Lets see if its true!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Back in the day AMD did hold the lead for a while and they were actually cheaper than Intel, hence so much anti-Intel feeling at one time.

Would agree that AMD have dragged their heels compared to Intel's offerings for the last four or five years though.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
FX-57 was the last time i think...? ;)

But i've just read it again and they're comparing an 8-core Bulldozer to an i7 950 quad core (8 with HT), so does that would mean an 8 core Bulldozer performs roughly the same as an i7 970 Gulftown?

It really depends on what the prices end up at.

Reaction score
FX-57 was the last time i think...? ;)

But i've just read it again and they're comparing an 8-core Bulldozer to an i7 950 quad core (8 with HT), so does that would mean an 8 core Bulldozer performs roughly the same as an i7 970 Gulftown?

It really depends on what the prices end up at.
I second that one!
The new Intel i7-2600K is nearly as fast as the 970 gulftown, and instead of costing U.S $1000, it's only about $325 here today!
Where AMD prices its Bulldozer will be interesting.

Ask a Question