Best graphics card

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
So, am planning a new build for a friend of my girlfriends, he wants to do some serious gaming, but with recent reviews showing ATI 4 series being rather good what is the best to use.

ATI 4850/70 in Xfire or wait for the 9800GTX+? and Sli or Possibly GTX-260?

Then i need a PSU with 2x 6pin and 2x 8 pin PCI-E.

Will definetly be an Intel CPU whether a big Core 2 Duo or a Quad i'm not sure yet. So Socket 775 Mobo please.

Budget for graphics and motherboard will be no more than £420.

Thoughts so far;

E8400 or Q6600 overclocked.
4GB XMS2 RAM
Vista HP 64bit
Coolermaster Cosmos case (The new one)
ASUS 20" Black widescreen LCD

Total budget is no more than £1200 if you want to post a possible build.

thanks guys.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Sounds like you'll have one heck of a powerful PC :D

I've not had much experience with this new generation of graphics cards so I didn't reply with anything yesterday, but I doubt you could do much better than 2 x 4870's!

Reaction score
Your specs look very good. I have the Q6600 in my PC, overclocked to 3.25 GHz, it hasnt caused me any problems and it runs brilliantly. For your Graphics Card, as Ian said you can't really get any better than two 4870's. Just bare in mind though, that your Mobo will have to support Crossfire in order to run the two cards in parallel. :p

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Yeah cheers Wiz,

Wish it was for me, just waiting on the power supply as they were sold out.

With all the recent price cuts i managed to come in wayyyyy under budget as well, which was good.

Aria are so cheap at the moment, managed to get a 1TB HDD for £73, bargain.

Have definetly switched from Scan to Aria for the time being.

Reaction score
I have always found Aria very good on there prices over the years, also that is a fab bargain you found. :thumb:

Regards,

Wiz

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Yeah, i never used them before but was looking to see who had the cheapest but decent HDD and there they were, had a look at the rest of the prices very competitive and cheaper than most, they still use citylink but not had a problem yet.

Oh and i don't work for them if anyone asks :lol:

Ask a Question