Graphics cards

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I have to a certain degree lost touch with the latest graphics cards so I browsed around, read some reviews and then wondered how my own cards compared to the current crop.

So I listed all their specs and then took a typical sample from each Nvidia card family to see if at this time it was worth upgrading.

I would point out that I don't actually have any plans to upgrade atm, I was just curious.

Prior to compiling my table I did browse around, visiting hardware sites and other forums and gradually gained a feel for the latest cards and how ATI and Nvidia squared up to each other. The impression gained was that ATI have made giant leaps to catch up and have introduced new technology but, although Nvidia seem to be stuck in a mire with their chipsets, they still lead the field by a hair's breadth.

I've been happy with Nvidia for the last 8 years so for now I'll stick with them, but I will admit it's getting to be a close run thing.

Below is my Excel table showing at the top my 4 current graphics cards setups.

Motherboard memory, from 1 to 4, is: 4Gb; 2Gb; 2Gb; 1Gb.

The third spec listed is Nvidia 8200 onboard graphics and uses 128Mb max from system memory.

Below my specs are a typical card in each price range, prices taken from OCUK.

The table:

attachment.php

Several things struck me.

1) My onboard graphics has more or less the same spec as my three year old 8800GTS 640Mb in all but shaders and onboard memory.

2) In all the considered upgrades, all the price difference makes to the card is number of shaders and/or onboard memory.

3) Very little difference in clock and memory speeds, indeed, some higher priced cards run at slower speeds than their lower priced peers.

4) My current card - now considered a budget model - does have some respectable specifications, although it only has just over half the amount of shaders of all possible upgrades.

And therein lies the difference - shaders and memory.

Everything else is more or less constant through the whole Nvidia range, seems to me.

I wonder, then, does the extra money spent display itself pro-rata in terms of performance and eye candy?

All in all I was quite pleased I gathered the specs of my own cards as I was beginning to think I'd bought a turkey but all things considered it seems quite good. It's about two years old, I'd guess, at this time.

Most of the games I play on the GTX9800 I run at 1600 x 1200 and I get decent frame rates so for now I'll stick with it.

Attachments

• Grafix.PNG
    Grafix.PNG
    37.7 KB · Views: 357
Reaction score
I remember wating a 9800GTX for ages it was the DB's but well out of my price range at time

It just gets silly really

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
TriplexDread said:
I remember wating a 9800GTX for ages it was the DB's but well out of my price range at time

It just gets silly really
Only to find out it was a rebadged 8800gtx ... yeah, nVidia have pulled a few strokes in the past year or so ... still can't bring myself to buy ATI though.

:user:

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
If its a new card you be wanting, ATIs recent offerings have given Nvidia a run for its money.

Reaction score
I'm going to hijack this thread a little bit...!

I need to replace my EVGA 8800GTX 768mb

Even that couldn't hack Flight Sim X maxed out on my 24" screen...

Which modern cards are in the same kind of performance bracket (or a little better) to the 8800GTX?

Would £100 all in get me something comparable? I paid near enough £400 for the 8800GTX when it was new - best card out so know it's quite powerful. I've lost touch now!

Flops table is quite interesting - the 9800GTX is similar (comparable to 8800GTS?) - coming in at £65?

Cheers

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
In that price bracket you're looking at a choice between an ATI 4870 and an Nvidia 250 series.

Or there's the Nvidia 9800GT £96.00 for 1Gb of memory or £65.00 with 512Mb of memory

I suggest you compose a spreadsheet similar to the one I posted above then enter the details of your deceased card and the details of the suggestions I've made in this post.

Then make an informed choice.

Reaction score
OK so,

I threw this together just quick:

attachment.php

I'm tempted by the last one, I can probably stretch my budget that far - if you guys think its the best bet.

It has DX11 support - how valuable that is I dont know, but it sounds good... Seems reasonably priced too.

Attachments

• Graphics.jpg
    Graphics.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 237
Reaction score
Or do I choose the wildcard and get the Radeon HD 5850 thats on offer for £210 inc VAT and Delivery and worry about the cost later.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
Or do I choose the wildcard and get the Radeon HD 5850 thats on offer for £210 inc VAT and Delivery and worry about the cost later.

Now your talking. Click on the buy button.
laughingsmiley.gif

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
You wont be disappointed. ;)

Reaction score
What have I just done!

£100 I told myself.

I'm renowned for being able to sell anything thats not nailed down, but i think I just sold the 5850 to myself :S

Its ordered now.

Argh!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I thought you were on a budget, lol

The GTS250 for 100 + p & p is the sensible choice here, it's a significant improvement on your old card.

My second choice would be the 260 you've listed at 138 + p & p

DX11 support on a card is pretty much worthless right now, most games still only support DX9 and only a handful (probably around 25-30) support DX10. By the time DX11 games come on the market any card released now supporting DX11 will be old hat.

Mind you, you can see the difference with DX10, albeit only slight.

If I were you I'd spend a hundred quid on the 250, see Uni out, join the Force, get a regular salary then upgrade the whole kit and caboodle to an i7 with a meatier grafix card (or whatever is the latest when that time comes).

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Oh fek, too late, the boy gone done spent oodles of wonga :lol:

Oh well, enjoy your new card, it's a goodie ;)

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
If I were you I'd spend a hundred quid on the 250, see Uni out, join the Force, get a regular salary then upgrade the whole kit and caboodle to an i7 with a meatier grafix card (or whatever is the latest when that time comes).

Wherz you been Flops :D

I finished Uni in May, Joined the force in July and go independant on the 15th Feb and have my advanced driving course on the 22nd Feb!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
Wherz you been Flops :D

I finished Uni in May, Joined the force in July and go independant on the 15th Feb and have my advanced driving course on the 22nd Feb!

Oops :blush: I dunno, you ain't here as often as you used to be ;)

If you working then how come you skint? Some expensive floozy?

Rookie woodentops get paid peanuts?

Anyhoo, sorry bout that officer, enjoy your card ;)

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Oops :blush: I dunno, you ain't here as often as you used to be ;)

If you working then how come you skint? Some expensive floozy?

Rookie woodentops get paid peanuts?

Anyhoo, sorry bout that officer, enjoy your card ;)

Ha! I ask myself that all the time...

Truth be told, Cambridge is pricey place to live.

My bills total over a grand a month - which is a hair under what brand new rookie woodentop takes home monthly!

Being a student, I made the most of my overdraft - and then I bought myself a 180bhp Volvo which is a luverly car, but thirsty!

Gots a 8 and a half grand consolidation loan to sort it all out so i'm back on track, and the only way i could afford the new graphics card is because the loan is deferred 2 months. I gots £600 car insurance and £200 tax to pay this month too, and my car alarm keeps going off so it needs to go to Volvo dealership soon.

In a nutshell, thats why I broke.

Payrise in feb should help though :)

Ask a Question