Any point to upgrading at the moment????

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi all,

After reading lots of articles it seems that most people view the Nvidia 9 series as a bit of a rip off.

9600GT was first, good card when it came out, now with it being quite cheap its still quite good.

9800GTX, a rehashed version of the 8800GTS 512Mb, higher clocks speeds, better cooling, that was it. 8800GTX wins at higher resolution.

9800GTX+, basically they added Physx to a graphics card so it can help out the CPU on shiny parts of graphics, brilliant if the game supports it.

But with the release of the Physx drivers, we can all do this now on a 8800GT/GTX so why do i need a new one???

9800GT, rehashed G92 version of 8800GT, wins about half the time in benches.

9500GT, rehashed 8600GT 512Mb, gets smacked about by 8600GTS.

THen Nvidia were like, oh there a bit crap lets let the big boys out to play, along came the GTX260/280.

However, the 280 was over £400 at launch and is still a little under £300 now.

2 x 8800GT in Sli can beat a GTX 280.

Then AMD/ATI launch the 4 series, GDDR5 memory for HD 4870.

4870 retails around £180 and will smash a GTX 280.

HD 4850 prices around £115 and it will beat a 9800GTX+.

If only AMD/ATI could sort out some of there driver and heats issues then i think they will have Nvidia beat, well this year anyway.

Lots of peeps favour Nvidia and always will, but i think if AMD/ATI can resolve some of the issues they have then more people will start considering their cards.

Nvidia plans to rehash the same set of cards next year on a 40nm process, so what out for those and then launch a new series with GDDR5 memory, probably the ones to get.

So is it actually worth an upgrade????

IF you brought a 9800GTX then you are screwed if you want to add another in SLi as they stopped making em.

If you already have an 8 Series, no point.

If you have a 6 or 7 series card, then get an 8800GT ot 8800GTX shop around they are very cheap at the moment.

If you game, then a GTX 260 is probably the best bang for buck at the moment.

If you want a new card now, then its your money. And as some say if you wait until the next big thing then you're always gonna be waiting.

In summary the 9 Series was just an efficient series, low power and lowerer heat, thats it really. No big bang of power for the gamers.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
You hit quite a few nails on their heads ... and nVidia hit their thumbs. ;)

AMD bought, bought-in-to, ATI, but never stepped in to sort the drivers issues out ... if ATI ever sort their drivers out, nVidia may well say goodnight.

Will never happen. :lol:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
A good summary WF, time on your hands with no cigs? :lol:

Six years ago, ATI were trouncing Nvidia, they ruled the roost. Proving that sometimes Nvidia need a good kick to the rear to make them pull their socks up as they soon regained their lead position.

In my media machine I have a 256Mb Nvidia 7600GT, pefectly good enough for its' needs, I have no intention of changing it.

The other two, well, one's in my sig and I do feel like I've been ripped off a little with the 512Mb 9800GTX as I paid over £200.00 for it and shortly after I purchased it the price came down to it's current asking price of £165.00. No complaints about the card though, it handles everything I throw at it with no hiccups. Have just installed latest Nvidia drivers, V178.13.

The other system is, briefly, Asus M2N-sli Deluxe; AMD Black Edition 6400+ 3.2Ghz dual core; 2Gb DDR2 6400 (OCZ, I think); and a BFG Nvidia 8800GTS 640Mb I purchased way back in Nov '06. That card handles all my games as well, most at full res, though frame rates are slightly lower than what the 9800GTX can achieve. It also won't run Crysis smoothly at a high res, but the 9800GTX will.

If I were in the market now I'd seriously consider an ATI 4870, it's a bargain. Only thing that puts me off is having to rely on Microsft's NET Framework add-on software to enable the Catalyst Centre and yes, compared to Nvidia's current drivers, I do read they are a bit flakey but I don't know as I have no experience of them.

I wouldn't consider an ATI card for a Linux system either, I get the impression, from reading around, that ATI only supply a very basic set of drivers - and only then after public pressure - and those drivers aren't very good at all, particularly for games within Linux.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Have decided to expand on this abit.

Was looking around for prices on the new Intel Core i7 range. Cheapest i can find the 920 is £240, but then you need an X58 Chipset Motherboard, cheapest again is £220, then new DDR3 "Low voltage" Memory in triple channel, cheapest for 3GB £110.

So if i want a new Core i7 system its gonna cost me £570 for the Core of the System.

Plus these new Processors show a negligable increase in Gaming FPS so unless you download films and burn them to DVD to sell at your local carboot, not much point in getting one.

Also Intel plan to revise the Die Shrink used on these next year to make faster more efficent ones, as they have done with the Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Quad range.

But wait you say, the newest and best always costs loads, well maybe it won't in a few weeks.

If you look on the quick news segments you will see reviews for the new Core i7 range, the smallest and cheapest 920 will beat the biggest and most exspensive QuadCore i.e a QX9775 or QX9650, but this has not been reflected in the prices as these processors still cost more.

Perhaps AMD to the Rescue????

Phenom II is supposed to launch either December 2008 or January 2009.

At launch there is SUPPOSED to be 2 Phenom II Processors that will be on the AM2+ Socket, then in February 2009 AMD is SUPPOSED to launch the AM3 Socket with another 6 Phenom II Processors that support DDR3 memory.

AMD board partners have agreed to release a BIOS for a significant amount of Motherboards that are socket AM2+ to support AM3, so no need to get a new Motherboard, which will also keep costs down. A good idea considering there is not much performance to be gained from DDR3 Memory at the moment for the price it costs.

So if you want a new rig consider waiting for AMD to launch to its new range and see where they sit on the market, one thing is for sure, whatever the performance of the new Phenom II range you can bet your hat that AMD is gonna under cut Intel in prices. So Intel will have to cut thier prices to remain competitive, which is in my humble opinion the best time to upgrade your rig.

Of course feel free to ignore me and buy one now.

Reaction score
I looked at the new i7 range yesterday on the OcUK site - VERY EXPENSIVE! lol The Extreme edition was about 900 quid
wallbash.gif
Shocking... hehe

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
New generation processors always are expensive.....give it 6 months and they will be cheaper - give it a year and they will be in freefall
nod.gif

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Of course there is ! Spending money will help the economy regrow. An this will help your country. An in six months time when the latest crop of new bits have ironed out all their teething problems and newer versions of them are for sale you can upgrade again. Once again helping your country. Do the right thing. UPGRADE NOW.

happywave.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'm still happy with my two year old system.

There was a time when I never thiought I'd say an Intel based machine has been the best system I'ver ever owned but it's true.

I was reading the moon last night and the signs told me that AMD are to surprise everybody soon ;)

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
I'm still happy with my two year old system.

There was a time when I never thiought I'd say an Intel based machine has been the best system I'ver ever owned but it's true.

I was reading the moon last night and the signs told me that AMD are to surprise everybody soon ;)

Yeh They are buying Intel out:lol: No on a more serious note AMD have to do something pretty darn quick:nod:

Reaction score
Me to I am happy atm with my current system but I am quite tempted to build a new system with a i7 in it, think I might look at bullding this sometime next year.

Regards,

Wiz

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
wizkid said:
Me to I am happy atm with my current system but I am quite tempted to build a new system with a i7 in it, think I might look at bullding this sometime next year.

Regards,

Wiz

With your setup i wouldn't bother for at least a year mate, is a good rig!

You could extend its life by overclocking the processor to 3.0Ghz with an aftermarket cooler and swapping the 8800GT for a 9800GTX+ when the 1GB version comes out.

Would only cost you £120 after you sold the 8800GT and you would get another year or two easy.

Reaction score
Hi WF,

Yeah I am happy with it atm moment. Might look at getting the 1GB version of the 9800GTX do you know when it comes out?

Thanks,

Wiz

Ask a Question