Missing Temporary Internet Folders

Merv Harvey

XP Pro SP2

The usual structure is C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local
Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\Sys Generated
Folders\files.ext. There are 5 User accounts 4 of which are set up as above
and one (my admin account) that stops at C:\Documents and
Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files.

I have run a Files and Folders search for Content.IE5 and it is found in all
accounts except mine. If I run a virus scan on my Temporary Internet Files
folder the scanner shows that it is scanning the missing folders. Some
strange things have been happening when using IE in this account and I put
it down to the fact that the folders \Content.IE5\....... have somehow
become hidden.

This seems to have happened since installing XP SP2.

Some of the strange things that occurred were (these were repair with a MS
patch)

Some JavaScript functions didn't work, history.back() - now working

Sometimes the Title Bar on a site just displays the first letter of the Site
Title.
My Google Toolbar won't display Page Rank (does in all other accounts)

Trying to avoid a re-install. All help gratefully accepted.

Just one other thing - I did a Restore from and old backup file of my Temp
Internet folders. They restored but still not visible.

PA Bear

Some strange things have been happening when using IE in this account and
I put it down to the fact that the folders \Content.IE5\....... have
somehow become hidden.
Some of the strange things that occurred were (these were repair with a MS
patch)...

And this "MS patch" has resolved all "strange things"? What patch was it?
Are you having problems now?

Merv Harvey

I think that this was the patch I used - WindowsXP-KB890923-x86-ENU.

This seems to have fixed the problems to do with not being able to "View
Source" and the JavaScript history.back() function not working.

The folders however are still not available and I'm thinking that this is
the cause of my Google Page Rank bar not working. It works in all other user
accounts where the folder hierarchy is correct. I've been trying to figure
this for weeks now. Prob would have been quicker to re-install.

Any ideas on how to get the folders back?

Merv

Don Varnau

Hi,
The ContentIE5 folders belonging to the currently logged in user won't be
visible to that user. To see those folders for your admin account, login as
another user with admin privileges.

I don't see how his could affect Google's page rank, but... who knows?

The best way (IMO) to deal with corruption of the ContentIE5 or TIF folder
or index.dat file is to delete that TIF folder while logged in as another
user with admin privileges. You can't delete TIF folder of the currently
logged in user- it's "in use by Windows."

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

Merv Harvey

Thanks for that Don.

That I didn't know, however your info has brought up another issue (or
related). I changed one of my user accounts to and Admin type and try to see
my folders and files. Got and "Access Denied" warning, so changed to the
System Administrator account and got the same "Access Denied" message. The
only one that can gain access to the account in question is the owner.

Seems as though there is a gremlin in there somewhere. Any ideas?

Merv

Merv Harvey said:
[...]

Thank Don, I'd already done that (taken ownership). It didn't fix my problem
though. I uninstalled the Google Toolbar and reinstall and still the same -
PR works on all accounts except this one. Go figure, I guess next thing is
to fire off an email to Google and see if they can throw some light on the
problem.

The other thing that I can't figure is how did the permissions get changed
from the default Simple File Sharing as I have never changed anything from
the setup. Computer isn't on a domain.

Thanks again Don.

Merv

Don Varnau said:
Hi,
This article should help:
308421 - How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]