Windows XP Missing Devices in Device Manager

Reaction score
I have Windows XP SP3 and it was attacked by spyware some time ago. I was able to clean them out but there are some issues that it left behind. One of them is when I go to the device manager, there is nothing there in the list. I tried looking at the Universal plug and play service and when i double click it, it tells me configuration manager: the plug and play service or another required service is not available. The service however started and is automatic. Also doesn't matter which service I double click, it will tell me that message :(

Reaction score
To view missing devices, close Device Manager. On the Systems Properties page, click the Advanced Tab. Next, click Environment Variables. When the Environment Variables screen appears, click New in the System Variables box.

You'll then see the New System Variable screen. Enter devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices in the Variable Name field and 1 in the Variable Value field as shown in the attachment below.Click OK to save the new variable and OK again to close the Environment Variables screen. Go back to device manager and your deviices should be showing again, plus a few extra hidden ones

Attachments

• microsoft-support-r003040504joh01b.gif
    microsoft-support-r003040504joh01b.gif
    3.2 KB · Views: 197
Reaction score
I did what you told me but there still a blank list in the device manager. =( don't know what's going on.

Reaction score
karazyfoo said:
I did what you told me but there still a blank list in the device manager. =( don't know what's going on.

Mmmm ok i'll have to have another think on that one..

Reaction score
Yeah like when I go to control panel and add hardware, nothing pops up. Also if I go to mouse, sound, or keyboard just to check the hardware tab, there isn't any devices listed. My Computer starts up hella slow too. I tried that Apporros or whatever fix but it doesn't work. I have attached the empty device manager and the empty devices in the mouse and keyboard menu.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG.jpg
    untitled.JPG.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:

Ask a Question