Windows Vista Problem devices (I think)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
This morning I needed to restart my PC and noticed that after the log-on screen, the desktop appeared, then blacked-out, appeared again, blacked again, then was okay. It has done this on a couple of other occasions recently, but I assumed it to be caused by one or two extra apps loading at startup.

This morning, the "Problems and solutions" window popped up and when I investigated a little more, I found these reports:

Device cannot start.

The device, Microsoft ISATAP Adapter, cannot start properly. It may not have the correct driver installed or may be experiencing a hardware failure. The Plug and Play ID for this device is 11.

The device, Microsoft 6to4 Adapter cannot start, etc. ... Plug and Play ID is 12.

Microsoft 6to4 Adapter cannot start etc ... Plug and Play ID is ROOT\*6TO4MP\0000

Device has a configuration problem that prevents its from starting properly.

(ditto)... Plug and Play ID for this device is ROOT\*ISATAP\0002

I then checked in Device Manager, but all I found there was one yellow exclamation mark, which indicated:

Microsoft ISATAP Adapter #3

After Googling (before bothering you guys) I found some advice which seemed to indicate that "ignore it, doesn't matter" but is that right...?

As you've guessed, I'm needing a bit of guidance, if you would be so kind please :blush: Thank you for reading.
:)

Reaction score
It can be safely ignored atm.
It's a IP converter (IPv6 to IPv4) but as extremely few sites use IP6 yet it has no real use.
Mine does it as well at times.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply JaLing, so no need to panic just yet then:thumb: :D

Reaction score
Hi Taffy,
My laptop was doing that everytime i booted it up. It was almost like it was reconfiguring itself 3 or 4 times before it was finally ready for desktop duties. Anyway, like you, i suspected it was extra app's i had downloaded so i didnt really pay it much heed. Then i decided i'd dump the app's i didnt really use. They were a virtual disk,universal viewer and a disc burner and a sound distortion program to name but a few.
The problem seemed to go away then. This was roughly about the same time as some updates from MS so i cant really say for sure whether it was the updates or a dodgy program. I hope though that this has perhaps narrowed it down a bit for you. You might perhaps check for updates and maybe dump and/or disable some app's too and see what happens.
Let me know how you get on , please.
happywave.gif

Last edited:

Ask a Question