Windows Vista Performance Monitor Results Query

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Today's Vista adventures have taken me into the Performance Monitor, (via Control Panel > Performance Information and Tools > Advanced Tools > Open Reliability and Performance Monitor) Wowee, the Diagnostic Results just seemed to go on and on... but, the bit that attracted my attention, were some entries which follow (the dots represent the repetition of the first statement):

1.The device, Microsoft ISATAP Adapter, cannot start properly. It may not have the correct driver installed or may be experiencing a hardware failure. The Plug and Play ID for this device is 11

2.The device, Micrososft 6to4 Adapter ..... Plug and Play ID 12

3.The device, Microsoft 6to4 Adapter ..... The Plug and Play ID is ROOT\*6TO4MP\0000

4.A device has a configuration problem that prevents it from starting properly.

5.The dedvice, Microsoft ISATAP Adapter, ..... Plug and Play ID for this device is ROOT\*ISATAP\0002

The advice choices are identical in each instance, namely: to verify the correct driver is installed, or to try updating the drivers using Windows Update or to check with the manufacturer for an updated driver, or attempt to uninstall and then reinstall the device using Device Manager.

I looked for updated drivers, but all Microsoft came up with were two, namely a modem update (which I have downloaded and installed) and one for networking (which I haven't done, because I've not got a network........ or doesn't that matter..?)

Are the items that refer to Plug and Play USB devices? I am really not sure what to look for exactly, so thought I'd better seek the advice of those who actually do know what's what. I am perfectly happy to go exploring, but now I need mountain-rescue please :p

Vista gives the user an impressive amount of info, doesn't it? ....now if I could only understand it.....
laughingsmiley.gif

Thank you for reading, TC

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
OK, simple solution ... ignore it ... as long as you do not see a yellow exclamation mark (!) next to it in Device Manager. ;)

You don't actually need ISATAP ... but don't turn it off or disable it either.

You did the right thing, go get any updates MS has to offer. :thumb:

The 'tech' bit ...

Inter Site Automatic Tunneling Address Protocol (ISATAP) is used to help enterprises transition to an IPv6 infrastructure. The ISATAP adapter encapsulates IPv6 packets by using an IPv4 header. This functionality enables the client to transport IPv6 traffic over an IPv4 infrastructure. This approach lets organizations slowly migrate to an IPv6 infrastructure without having to spend excessive time and financial resources to convert to the new infrastructure.
... you got that now? :D

Are the items that refer to Plug and Play USB devices?
No, the items are not necessarily 'USB devices' but can be anything, such as a PCI Modem, that is uP&P/Plug&Pray compatible device, these are given an ID

If it ain't broke ... don't fix it. :thumb:

One day, we may have the corrected drivers for our Vista OS. :nod:

:user:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Oh thanks Mucks :thumb: it's nice to have confirmation that I'm not doing anything a mischief by ignoring them. Didn't want to fuss, but at the same time, didn't want to ignore something if it was important ;)

As for the technical bits, I am turning into a boffin even as we speak!! :lol: Thanks again :D

Ask a Question