MHT viewers

More and more of us are using the web archive format (mht) when archiving
web pages as it makes disk housekeeping so much easier. (Shame FF doesn't
save to this format yet. . .) Came across a couple of interesting proggies.
Haven't tried these myself yet.

MHTArchive:
" MHTArchive is an application for document management (storing information,
mainly MHT files).
MHTArchive is also capable of storing simple Text files (RTF format) and
binary files. MHT files are websites saved in the Internet Explorer (.mht
extension) or various e-mail programs (i. e. .eml/.msg extension)."
http://www.systemlord.at/mhta_en.php?open=3

I'd love to try this one myself, but it requires Win2K or later.

UltraReader:
A multi-format file viewer and processer -- Ultra Reader, Read Faster.

New Features in v1.01:

* photo resize
* some djvu support
* rtf file support

File viewer supports:
# Multimedia files: vob, avi, mpg, wma, wmv, mp3, rm, rmvb, mov, swf
# Web pages: htm, html, mht
# Microsoft Office documents: doc, xls, ppt
# Other: pdf
# Image Files: gif,jpg, bmp,djvu
# Binary Files: exe, dll
http://www.freewarefiles.com/programs.php?ProgramID=10495&categoryid=9&subca
tegoryid=96

Finally, on a hunch, I fired up Trackerv3 and discovered that it will nicely
read MHT files as well.
http://www.trackerv3.com/

JanC said:
<<M>> schreef:

FF supports MHTML (.mht) through an extension:
<http://update.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=212&vid=956>

It supports it's own format (".maf") and it supports ".mht".

Yes, I've heard that FF has its own archive format. However, reviews I've
read indicated that its format doesn't save everything that the mht format
does. (I haven't tested it myself. . .)

I tried to use FF to open an mht file, but all that happened is that it
opened IE to render it.

JanC

Yes, I've heard that FF has its own archive format. However, reviews
I've read indicated that its format doesn't save everything that the
mht format does. (I haven't tested it myself. . .)

I tried to use FF to open an mht file, but all that happened is that
it opened IE to render it.

If you have that extension installed, you should be able to open .mht
files, but it's possible you'll have to change the default program for
*.mht files in Windows yourself.

omega

UltraReader:
A multi-format file viewer

http://www.ultrareader.com/

V 1.01, and very beta.

Missing fundamental things: ie, no persistent view preferences. No tooltips
for the toolbar icons, to indicate their function. Bugs such as random bold
of certain letters in the text view pane. Or the awful startup display view:
not only one of the ugliest toolbars I've seen, but also starts out with fat
drive icons overlapping on top of each other.

My "cynical" view: This appears to be one of those that is pre-planned to
turn payware. Once product development has advanced from beta. And when the
developer also sees adequate publicity has been garnered during the freeware
stage.

Immediate rude behavior annoyances:

1. Calls home on startup.

2. Forces an entry for itself, any time it runs, into the global allfiles
part of explorer's context-menu.
File viewer supports:
# Multimedia files: vob, avi, mpg, wma, wmv, mp3, rm, rmvb, mov, swf
# Web pages: htm, html, mht
# Microsoft Office documents: doc, xls, ppt
# Other: pdf
# Image Files: gif,jpg, bmp,djvu
# Binary Files: exe, dll

For htm, html, mht, etc, it is hosting msie.

Same for the image formats. With the exception of djvu (whatever that is).
Presumably same again for the multimedia formats, it's via msie.

For the exotic formats, such as doc, and pdf, it is doing those through
msie. Since I don't have my msie settings to open those in place, my result
is the msie pop-up dialog about "what application do you want to use to open
this file?"

For textual files, it is using its own editor window. For rtf, maybe same,
forgot now. For binary PEs, didn't check explicitly, but must be its own
window there.

The one interesting view it did, unusual feature, was that selection on .lnk
shortcut files, which are binary, it displayed their useful information in a
copyable text window: path, working directory, etc.

FWIW, here are a few screenshots of Ultra reader doing some basic displays
(Web HTML; image; text; and also the .lnk info feature):

http://www.redshift.com/~omega/clips/var/ureader/

It was engaging for me to take a short field trip. Nevertheless, my overall
summary, again, it's that Ultra Reader is a total beta. I do not feel any
optimism that it shall stay freeware once it reaches a more usable /
interesting stage 2 of development.

Frank Bohan

More and more of us are using the web archive format (mht) when archiving
web pages as it makes disk housekeeping so much easier. (Shame FF doesn't
save to this format yet. . .) Came across a couple of interesting proggies.
Haven't tried these myself yet.
<snipped>

I always try to save webpages as .mht files, although occasionally .html has
to be used. One problem I've come across is that while .html files can be
concatenated, it seems to be impossible to combine two or more .mht files
into one file. Unless, or course, someone knows a way to do it!

===

Frank Bohan
¶ May you live all the days of your life.

Anthony Giorgianni

Also, don't forget this free Office add-in from Microsoft that allows
packing and unpacking .mht files - converting back and forth from .mht to
html and folder. Very useful

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...B3-F527-4B7C-9059-BE4E18B7AD2A&displaylang=EN

And here is an interesting page on .mht files.

http://urban.hunter.cuny.edu/~mkuechle/Tech_Advice/howto_transfer_webpages.htm

Anthony Giorgianni

The return address for this post is fictitious. Please reply by posting back
to the newsgroup.

Anthony Giorgianni

You can edit mht files. Have you tried simply merging the codes of the
separate files?

If it doesn't work, you may want to try the free packing/unpacking software
from Microsoft (I think you need MS Office).

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...B3-F527-4B7C-9059-BE4E18B7AD2A&displaylang=EN

You can unpack and work the files as html and folder and then repack to mht
when you are done. Can't see why that wouldn't work.

Anthony Giorgianni said:
If it doesn't work, you may want to try the free packing/unpacking software
from Microsoft

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...B3-F527-4B7C-9059-BE4E18B7AD2A&displaylang=EN

(I think you need MS Office).

Reading that page, it appears that MS Office is not a requirement. That
which is described necessary, it is MSIE 4+ and Outlook Express.

As far as I know, Outlook Express (its system files) must be installed for
use of any program that handles MHT support.

Frank Bohan

"Anthony Giorgianni" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
Also, don't forget this free Office add-in from Microsoft that allows
packing and unpacking .mht files - converting back and forth from .mht to
html and folder. Very useful

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...B3-F527-4B7C-9059-BE4E18B7AD2A&displaylang=EN

And here is an interesting page on .mht files.

http://urban.hunter.cuny.edu/~mkuechle/Tech_Advice/howto_transfer_webpages.htm

Very interesting. Is there a way to make .mht the default in IE6? Changing
every time from .html to .mht is a pain.

===

Frank Bohan
¶ Your sole purpose in life may be to serve as a warning to others.

Anthony Giorgianni

Dunno if there's anyway to make mht the default in IE 8, Frank, sorry :O(

Guess you could make .mht-save an Auto It script and add it to the IE
toolbar using one of the freebee IE toolbar add-in apps. That would be the
first work-around that comes to my mind. Seems like it would be a lot of
work just to avoid selecting it off the popdown on the save-as though.

I do find that not every page is save-able in mht anyway - or they don't
save correctly. But many are. It's been my favorite way to save web pages
for years, though I also find that a good alternative is to simply copy and
paste the page in MS Word. Then I can delete rows, columns and other stuff I
don't like. Maybe it would work in the Open Office word processor too. I
don't know.

Anthony Giorgianni

The return address for this post is fictitious. Please reply by posting back
to the newsgroup.

Anthony Giorgianni

Thanks Karen. Should have read it carefully myself before I posted. :O)

Frank Bohan said:
Very interesting. Is there a way to make .mht the default in IE6? Changing
every time from .html to .mht is a pain.

If use were inclined to take up Maxthon/MyIE, it can provide default mht
via its AutoSave command.

File > Auto Save (Ctrl+Alt+S)

You configure AutoSave in Maxthon Options.

Save Default Save Path [<path>]
Auto Save As : [.mht]
[x] categorize pages by site

Of course, if you -don't- want the files to always land in a preset path
like that, then that AutoSave feature would not suit...

omega

Anthony Giorgianni said:
Dunno if there's anyway to make mht the default in IE 8, Frank, sorry :O(

Guess you could make .mht-save an Auto It script and add it to the IE
toolbar using one of the freebee IE toolbar add-in apps.

That sounds like a nifty solution. (At least for those already familiar
with writing Auto It scripts.) The single click on the toolbar icon would
replace the three clicks of getting to the IE save dialog + changing
type of save.

omega

Anthony Giorgianni said:
Thanks Karen. Should have read it carefully myself before I posted. :

Well, the page does give mixed messages. Starting with the fact that it is
in the MS Office downloads section. And include the fact that right after
the system requirements, it says: "This download works with the following
Office applications: Office 2000, Office XP, Office 2003."

I've now done an install. I booted to a partition that has Outlook Express
(which provides mht support), and with no MS Office. Result, I can testify:
it works fine sans MSO.

It's a small commandline prog (an exe & a dll).

I deleted most all of the MSI installer's garbage, also deleted the handful
of Office registry entries that were created.

What I saved were the two regkeys for the context-menu action.

One is for .html file, command to make an mht of target.
The other is for .mht file, to unpack target to html.

My first tests on the .html to mht, I had some confusion. Kerio kept telling
me Webarch wanted to talk to Microsoft... This turned out to be a matter of
the files I was converting happening to be from microsoft.com. So I assume
the prog was trying to get the ref'd images from the server, or something
similar. But anyway, the pack and the unpack both seemed fine, based on my
brief tests.

For MHT users, this utility looks very convenient. Rapid convert between
the two formats.

What I wouldn't have any idea on is rate of success for smooth conversion,
etc. For those interested in reading more description on the utility, and on
mht files, the URL you'd given in earlier post seems to be the good pointer:

http://urban.hunter.cuny.edu/~mkuechle/Tech_Advice/howto_transfer_webpages.htm

(+ the msft page: http://tinyurl.com/49qlu )

Anthony Giorgianni

Thanks for reporting that Karen. Glad the mht converter works without MS
Office. It surprises me that virtually no one I know uses or even is aware
of mht, let alone that little MS conversion utility.

Anthony Giorgianni

The return address for this post is fictitious. Please reply by posting back
to the newsgroup.

Anthony Giorgianni

And here is a link to one of those programs that let you add buttons to the
IE toolbar ... freeware (of course) AddaButton. Works great!

http://www.harmonyhollow.net/aab.shtml

Anthony Giorgianni

The return address for this post is fictitious. Please reply by posting back
to the newsgroup.

Anthony Giorgianni

This Auto-It sequence works on my computer. It sets up to save the web page
as mht in the My Documents folder -- I guess it might be better to stop the
script in the "Save In" field of the Save-as dialog box instead of in the
"File name field."

I tried running the script from my desktop (with the IE window in focus), as
well as from the IE toolbar using AddaButton. Works both ways. Of course, it
you run it from the desktop and some other window has focus, it could
produce some really unexpected results :O(

(I think I used the older version of Auto-It. I have both but haven't
learned the newer one yet.) If
anyone wants, I can post a compiled, stand-alone script on my web site.
Note: Items after ";" are simply comments and can be deleted. Here is what I
used:

; Prepares Web page for save as .mht In Internet Explorer 6

Send, {ALT}+f ; Selects IE's file menu
Send, A; Brings up Save-As dialog
Send, {Tab}; Selects "Save-as-type" field
Send, {Down 3}; Brings down popdown menu and moves cursor to .mht type
Send, {Enter; Selects mht
Send, {Tab 4}; moves to "Save in" field
Send, {Down 2}; Selects popdown menu and highlight My Documents
Send, {Enter}; Selects My Documents
Send, {Tab 2}; Move to "File name" field.

Exit

[Re msft's MHT-HTML convertor http://tinyurl.com/49qlu ]
Thanks for reporting that Karen. Glad the mht converter works without MS
Office. It surprises me that virtually no one I know uses or even is aware
of mht, let alone that little MS conversion utility.

I believe I've found the method to get MHT support without having
Outlook Express installed. It's very clean. Takes only copying three
MSOE dlls from cab, and registering one of them. Anyone out there who
doesn't have MSOE installed, want to test?