[ACF] Freeware Wish List

Susan Bugher

The Freeware Wish List is a list of requests that have been made by ACF participants.

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/FreewareWishList.php

"Combine Netscape and IE bookmarks" ??? ISTM it's time for an update. ;)

You guys are the experts. For the most part I know nothing. I don't know whether the request should
remain or if it should be revised etc. etc.

If you think a request should remain on the page please "adopt it". Tell me exactly what revisions
(if any) are needed in the request. IMO any requests that are not adopted should be deleted.

The text of the web page is copied below. Comments please.

Susan

--------------------------------

Compiled from suggestions by members of alt.comp.freeware. This list represents oft-requested
programs, for which there is no Freeware option, as well as program functions that some would like
to see in a Freeware program.

Authors, please note - some of the features which are often requested by Freeware users include:

* simple interface
* easy on resources
* small-size
* clean uninstall

BUSINESS-HOBBY

Home Accounting REQUIREMENTS: on-line banking: schedule payments: investment tracking, budgets,
reports, multiple user accounts.
WHY NEEDED: No Existing Freeware

Spreadsheet REQUIREMENTS: full-featured; multi-page, stand-alone spreadsheet
WHY NEEDED: only available as part of office suite downloads

Printing Software REQUIREMENTS: Print multiple logical pages on one physical page, including
graphics. Print preview which allows deleting pages before printing. Queue to accumulate multiple
submissions into one print job. Comparable Shareware: FinePrint
WHY NEEDED: No Existing Freeware

Handwriting Font Editor REQUIREMENTS:Turn individual handwriting into font
WHY NEEDED: No Existing Freeware

TTF Font Editor REQUIREMENTS:There *is* a freeware (open source) TTF & Type 1 font editor: PfaEdit.
Problem: it requires Cygwin to run on Windows, but Cygwin is not very easy to install and it takes
hundreds of megabytes on your hard disk too...

Garden Planner
WHY NEEDED: No Existing Freeware
Home Improvement/ Decorating Planner WHY NEEDED: No Existing Freeware

---------------

DESKTOP

Screen Capture - Animations REQUIREMENTS: Able to snapshot an animated screen, and save it in a
given choices of format (AVI, MPEG, GIF, etc.); able to snapshot an animated screensaver without
closing it when activated, maybe by appropriated batched command
WHY NEEDED: No Existing Freeware

Screen Capture - Direct X compatible REQUIREMENTS: Intercept each time the user pushed Print
Screen, and take a screenshot.
WHY NEEDED: Windows already does this, but it doesn't work with certain programs, especially the
fancy 3-d ones.

---------------

FILE UTILITIES

Search and Replace for BINARY files REQUIREMENTS: global search and repace from a starting
directory; recursive through subdirs; BINARY file compatible; Win95/98 compatible; FREEWARE for home
and my desktop at work use. Nice to have: Display of what file is being processed or changed and
Auto backups of those changed
WHY NEEDED: Wineasy came the closest, but it is REAL slow. Replace 1.1.4 works on small directory
trees, but sometimes hangs. Wintree is text-only. One SRsomething boldly stated. NO commercial use
whatsoever

---------------

INTERNET

Bookmark Manager REQUIREMENTS: Combine Netscape and IE bookmarks; when bookmark is added to one
list of bookmarks, the other list is altered as well, in realtime.
WHY NEEDED: No Existing Freeware

Downloader REQUIREMENTS: Multi-Server, Multi-Threading
WHY NEEDED: No Existing Freeware

Information Manager REQUIREMENTS: Keep track of already downloaded files; keep track of already
printed Web pages / documents

---------------

MULTIMEDIA

Midi Editor with good staff note entry REQUIREMENTS: To open midi multitrack files, and show
editable musical staves, probably eight at least; to play the files through the computer so that
effects of edits can be heard
WHY NEEDED: I do not believe there is any freeware that can do the above, though I have come across
single track programs. You need two staves even for piano, four for choral, and six for choral plus
basic accompaniment. Noteworthy composer has good note entering, but saves in it's own file format
and does not preserve a lot of midi information, ie pan. My 1995 Cakewalk Express is good on most
fronts, but deficient on staff entry - I don't know what the modern version does as there isn't even
a demo version.

Music OCR REQUIREMENTS: Able to scan a sheet of music and turn it into an editable/printable
document. Must be able to do more than just simple music.
WHY NEEDED: No Existing Freeware

---------------

ORGANIZERS

Information Management REQUIREMENTS: Combine the power of GoldenSection Notes and Skwyrul PRO. A
fully searcheable tree with unlimited nodes. Full RTF notes with embedded images, hyperlinks,
bullets and tables. Speed and simple uncluttered interface of Treepad

Outliner REQUIREMENTS: Produce a standard outline with Roman Numerals, etc.; collect and copy
outline items from multiple sources in the outline and move them with a single command; bin sorting,
category and calendar views; similar to PCOutline / GrandView
WHY NEEDED: PC Outline won't run on XP. Symantec has discontinued GrandView. No comparable freeware
product.

Wall Calendar REQUIREMENTS: 12 month printable calendar with photos: variable size: abililty to
customize dates (add birthdays, etc.)
WHY NEEDED: no existing freeware

---------------

PROGRAMMING

Shell Extension Editor

---------------

SECURITY

Spyware Module Check in Zip Scan WHY NEEDED: No existing Freeware

---------------

SYSTEM UTILITIES

Start-up tool REQUIREMENTS: A program that allows you disable programs from your startup list and
*keeps* them disabled
WHY NEEDED: No existing Freeware

Undelete WHY NEEDED: No Unlimited Freeware

---------------

TEXT

Speech to Text WHY NEEDED: No existing Freeware

plain text outline editor REQUIREMENTS: Like the outline view in MS Word, but for plain text file
format.
WHY NEEDED: No existing Freeware.

---------------

mike ring

[...]

I'd be happy to adopt this one - it's my wish in the first place.

I don't know if Rosegarden if I remember the name right(linux) would do
it as I've never been able to make it go! But I've a feeling from seeing
the staff screen, the staff entry would not support up to eight staves.
Music OCR REQUIREMENTS: Able to scan a sheet of music and turn it
into an editable/printable document. Must be able to do more than just
simple music. WHY NEEDED: No Existing Freeware
I'd adopt this one too. I think to become an editable document it would
have to generatea MIDI file - that would be even better.

mike

Andreas Kaestner

Susan Bugher ([email protected]) schrieb/wrote:
The Freeware Wish List is a list of requests that have been made by
ACF participants.

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/FreewareWishList.php
INTERNET

Information Manager REQUIREMENTS: Keep track of already downloaded
files; keep track of already printed Web pages / documents

I'm still searching for such a thing. :)

Another oldie request:

Harddisk activity indicator for the system notification area
(a.k.a systray) which runs under Win98

K3

Andreas said:
Another oldie request:

Harddisk activity indicator for the system notification area
(a.k.a systray) which runs under Win98

WinSystem98 is a small utility that I couldn't do without. I use it mostly
for it's hard-drive activity light in the system tray.

http://www.softlookup.com/display.asp?ID=9148&DID=4J58YURT

Publisher's Description:

WinSystem98 v3.4.7
displays memory information, CPU usage, hard drive activity, system
resources, modem activity, process information, and motherboard and CPU
temperatures. WinSystem98 runs as a tiny window that can be customized to
display details about the inner workings of your PC.
You can choose to display any or all of the following types of information:
total RAM, free RAM, free used memory, motherboard temperature, CPU
temperature, CPU usage, hard drive activity, and modem activity. You can
also display information about active processes and GDI, user, and system
resources.

--
Kendall F. Stratton III
Fort Fairfield, Maine USA

"Support bacteria -- it's the only culture some people have!"

Susan Bugher

Susan said:
The Freeware Wish List is a list of requests that have been made by ACF
participants.

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/FreewareWishList.php

"Combine Netscape and IE bookmarks" ??? ISTM it's time for an update. ;)

You guys are the experts. For the most part I know nothing. I don't know
whether the request should remain or if it should be revised etc. etc.

If you think a request should remain on the page please "adopt it". Tell
me exactly what revisions (if any) are needed in the request. IMO any
requests that are not adopted should be deleted.

I see some "adoptions" already. Thanks. :) If anyone thinks a wish has been fulfilled please post
info about the app for discussion. I'll revise the web page in a few days when it looks as if
everyone has had their say.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware
http://groups.google.no/groups?q=+group:alt.comp.freeware&hl=en

John Fitzsimons

The Freeware Wish List is a list of requests that have been made by ACF participants.

Compiled from suggestions by members of alt.comp.freeware. This list represents oft-requested
programs, for which there is no Freeware option, as well as program functions that some would like
to see in a Freeware program.

< snip >

GRAPHICS - Editor/viewer for RAW files . .nef files. That works on a
'98 system and allows cropping, rotation, saving, etc.

Nothing available.

TEXT - GUI Spell Checker that can spell check a folder of text files.
NOT one by one.

Nothing available as a GUI.

Regards, John.

Terry

John said:
GRAPHICS - Editor/viewer for RAW files . .nef files. That works on a
'98 system and allows cropping, rotation, saving, etc.

Nothing available.

Irfanview.

It can read raw files, including .nef. It allows simple editing,
including cropping and rotation. Runs on 9x/ME/NT/2000/XP/2003.

Terry

John Fitzsimons

John Fitzsimons wrote:

It can read raw files, including .nef. It allows simple editing,
including cropping and rotation. Runs on 9x/ME/NT/2000/XP/2003.

Thanks Terry. I didn't know that. It does however take a while to open
them. Probably not surprising when one looks at the file size. The
photos also look darker than when viewed elsewhere. Still, nice to see
this functionality. :)

Perhaps I should add to the above.....and enables one to make
density/colour changes to the first photo in a folder and have them
apply to all of the following ones. Not on a one by one basis. Some
sort of saved "custom" setting.

Though I doubt that any graphics viewer could provide that.

Regards, John.

CharlieDontSurf

Thanks Terry. I didn't know that. It does however take a while to open
them. Probably not surprising when one looks at the file size. The
photos also look darker than when viewed elsewhere. Still, nice to see
this functionality. :)

Perhaps I should add to the above.....and enables one to make
density/colour changes to the first photo in a folder and have them
apply to all of the following ones. Not on a one by one basis. Some
sort of saved "custom" setting.

Though I doubt that any graphics viewer could provide that.

Regards, John.

Have you checked out IrfanView's batch conversion options? File -->
Batch Conversion --> Options (and/or) Set Advanced Options. You can
adjust sharpness, brightness, color depth, gamma, DPI, etc, and save the
settings to a reloadable custom file.

John Fitzsimons

Have you checked out IrfanView's batch conversion options? File -->
Batch Conversion --> Options (and/or) Set Advanced Options.

No, I haven't. I didn't want my originals changed. I just wanted a
quick/easy way to change the image being displayed.
You can
adjust sharpness, brightness, color depth, gamma, DPI, etc, and save the
settings to a reloadable custom file.

As long as that doesn't change the original files then that is what I
am looking for. Thank you.

Regards, John.

Little Girl

Hey there,

Bookmark Manager REQUIREMENTS: Combine Netscape and IE bookmarks; when bookmark is added to one
list of bookmarks, the other list is altered as well, in realtime.
WHY NEEDED: No Existing Freeware

I'd like to adopt a modified version of this one:

Bookmark Manager
REQUIREMENTS: Import and export from/to Firefox/IE; export to HTML
page; check for duplicates; test links; store and manage thousands of
bookmarks while remaining stable.

Bookmark Manager <http://bkm.sourceforge.net/> checks for duplicates
and tests links, but it's not stable with the number of bookmarks I
have, although I prefer its interface over all the others. Gul
<http://www.belkaplan.de/opera/bookmarks.htm> is totally stable with
all of my bookmarks, but can't test links, and has a more indepth
method of editing bookmarks than Bookmark Manager. SyncURLS
<http://personal.mco.bellsouth.net/mco/g/w/gwolking/syncurls.htm> can
check for duplicates, but can't test links, but is stable with all of
my bookmarks. I have all three on my system, and use each at different
times, with Gul storing the entire collection for me, but I'm still
looking for the perfect bookmark manager.

Susan Bugher

Little said:
Hey there,

I'd like to adopt a modified version of this one:

Thank you. The bookmark manager wish is dear to my heart too. :)
Bookmark Manager
REQUIREMENTS: Import and export from/to Firefox/IE; export to HTML
page; check for duplicates; test links; store and manage thousands of
bookmarks while remaining stable.

There are quite a few other popular browsers. Mozilla, Netscape, Opera etc. etc. perhaps revise to:

REQUIREMENTS: Import and export from most browsers and browser shells; export to HTML
page; check for duplicates; test links; store and manage thousands of bookmarks while remaining stable.

I'd prefer to get away from the import/export hassle - have a bookmark manager that can be
configured to open URLs in one or more browsers (IOW - open this URL in this browser, open that URL
in that browser). I'm currently using Jetlinks which has that type of capability but it's outdated
(so I import old style Netscape bookmarks created by Jetlinks into Mozilla). I believe GUL lets you
point to an .exe file - that seems like a good flexible way to do it - GUL may not work with a
particular browser but at least you can try. (IIRC it didn't do as good a job of importing bookmarks
from various sources as Jetlinks does).

Program: JetLinks
Author: Dahlhoff IT-Solutions
Ware: (Freeware)
http://www.manfred-dahlhoff.de/JetLinks

AM-DeadLink is a great checker. I played with a recent version briefly on the old computer and was
impressed with it's management capability. I think a combination of its features and the features
Jetlinks has would be getting close to my ideal bookmark manager.

Program: AM-DeadLink
Author: (Martin Aignesberger)
Ware: Freeware
http://aignes.com/products.htm

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware
http://groups.google.no/groups?q=+group:alt.comp.freeware&hl=en

Little Girl

Hey there,

Thank you. The bookmark manager wish is dear to my heart too. :)

One day we shall find the perfect freeware program. :)
There are quite a few other popular browsers. Mozilla, Netscape, Opera etc. etc. perhaps revise to:
REQUIREMENTS: Import and export from most browsers and browser shells; export to HTML
page; check for duplicates; test links; store and manage thousands of bookmarks while remaining stable.

Much better. Not only did I miss the other browsers, but I do tend to
be a bit wordy. :)
I'd prefer to get away from the import/export hassle - have a bookmark manager that can be
configured to open URLs in one or more browsers (IOW - open this URL in this browser, open that URL

I tried one like this, and that feature was nice, but for some reason
I didn't like the program. I'd have to look through all my notes on
each program to find out which it was and why I didn't like it.
in that browser). I'm currently using Jetlinks which has that type of capability but it's outdated
(so I import old style Netscape bookmarks created by Jetlinks into Mozilla). I believe GUL lets you
point to an .exe file - that seems like a good flexible way to do it - GUL may not work with a
particular browser but at least you can try. (IIRC it didn't do as good a job of importing bookmarks
from various sources as Jetlinks does).

Gul lets you select the default browser or browse to an .exe file. I
don't know about the importing on it since I always save all bookmarks
into IE as Favorites and import into everything else that way.
Program: JetLinks
Author: Dahlhoff IT-Solutions
Ware: (Freeware)
http://www.manfred-dahlhoff.de/JetLinks

This one needs some more features, and will get them, but... he's
going to have a freeware and payware version on the one he's working
on now. Too bad. I have a feeling the features I want will be
available only in the payware version. :)
Program: AM-DeadLink
Author: (Martin Aignesberger)
Ware: Freeware
http://aignes.com/products.htm

Can this one move dead links to a specified folder? All I could see
online was that you can delete them. I have an "Invalid" folder I keep
them in so they can be re-checked later in case the server was down or
something.

Susan Bugher

Little said:
Much better. Not only did I miss the other browsers, but I do tend to
be a bit wordy. :)

Okay, I'll go with that.
I tried one like this, and that feature was nice, but for some reason
I didn't like the program. I'd have to look through all my notes on
each program to find out which it was and why I didn't like it.

Gul lets you select the default browser or browse to an .exe file. I
don't know about the importing on it since I always save all bookmarks
into IE as Favorites and import into everything else that way.

I use Jetlinks the same way you use use IE (as my primary storage area).
This one needs some more features, and will get them, but... he's
going to have a freeware and payware version on the one he's working
on now. Too bad. I have a feeling the features I want will be
available only in the payware version. :)

dunno how much work is going on. . . the "new version coming soon" message has been there for a
long time. . .

The current version has many of the basic functions I want: checks for duplicates when you add a
URL, imports bookmarks well from a variety of sources, has a folder/subfolder structure etc. but
there are lots features I'd like that it doesn't have. . .
Can this one move dead links to a specified folder? All I could see
online was that you can delete them. I have an "Invalid" folder I keep
them in so they can be re-checked later in case the server was down or
something.

You can recheck them in AM-DeadLink - I don't think you can export to a folder (not sure about
that). You can sort on any of the column headings, nice for checking for near duplicates: (xyz.com
and xyz.com/) and various other chores. I need to install this app again and give it a good workout.
I looked at it very briefly shortly before the old box crashed and burned. It does have a lot of
nice features - I suggest you give it a whirl.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware
http://groups.google.no/groups?q=+group:alt.comp.freeware&hl=en

Reykjavikingur

If you are looking for a browser-independent bookmark manager, there
are a number of decent online solutions. The one I use is Connectedy.
It allows you to export bookmarks from any browser. The nice thing is
you can set up an account without providing any personal information.
It preserves any hierarchical folder structure you might have in your
bookmarks. If you're interested, it's at http://www.connectedy.com .

Little Girl

Hey there,

I use Jetlinks the same way you use use IE (as my primary storage area).

I might try that, since even though I use Firefox now, I still
occasionally view pages in IE (especially if I want to save them as
..mht files), and I'd prefer the Favorites to be empty, since that's no
longer my primary browser.

You can recheck them in AM-DeadLink - I don't think you can export to a folder (not sure about
that). You can sort on any of the column headings, nice for checking for near duplicates: (xyz.com
and xyz.com/) and various other chores. I need to install this app again and give it a good workout.
I looked at it very briefly shortly before the old box crashed and burned. It does have a lot of
nice features - I suggest you give it a whirl.

Will do. I'm open to new possibilities. :)

Susan Bugher

Reykjavikingur said:
If you are looking for a browser-independent bookmark manager, there
are a number of decent online solutions. The one I use is Connectedy.
It allows you to export bookmarks from any browser. The nice thing is
you can set up an account without providing any personal information.
It preserves any hierarchical folder structure you might have in your
bookmarks. If you're interested, it's at http://www.connectedy.com .

Thanks for that info - that looks like a good place to share bookmarks.

I'm looking for something for the PC - and something with more capability than Connectedy - the
ability to import from text or HTML files, URL checker etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.
etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. ;)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Little said:
I might try that, since even though I use Firefox now, I still
occasionally view pages in IE (especially if I want to save them as
.mht files), and I'd prefer the Favorites to be empty, since that's no
longer my primary browser.

I checked to be sure and the right-click option "open in IE" worked fine. I think you'll be able to
import your bookmarks into Firefox as Netscape bookmarks after you use Jetlinks to "export to
Netscape" - works for me in Mozilla. Not quite as handy as being able to use Jetlinks to "open in
Mozilla" or "open in Firefox" but fairly easy. (I add *new* bookmarks to Jetlinks and delete Mozilla
bookmarks before importing a revised set.)

I've revised the Wish List page - having a problem uploading ATM. Danged nuisance stuff keeps
cropping up lately. . . changed the Google newsgroup search link on the web pages (again) - haven't
been able to upload those changes either. . . grumble, grumble, grumble. . . ;)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Susan said:
The Freeware Wish List is a list of requests that have been made by ACF
participants.

I've uploaded a new web page with those wishes that were adopted. I noted the "owner" of each wish
so that they can be consulted (pinged) if someone thinks they've found a Freeware that fulfills the
wish.

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/FreewareWishList.php

Please post if you wish to adopt one of the "orphan" wishes. The old list is here:

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/FreewareWishList-OLD.php

There has been some discussion of new wishes in this thread - ISTM those discussions were not
conclusive so I haven't added any new wishes yet. If you want to add a new wish please post the wish
exactly as it should appear on the web page.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware
http://groups.google.no/groups?q=+group:alt.comp.freeware&hl=en

Little Girl

Hey there,

I checked to be sure and the right-click option "open in IE" worked fine. I think you'll be able to
import your bookmarks into Firefox as Netscape bookmarks after you use Jetlinks to "export to
Netscape" - works for me in Mozilla. Not quite as handy as being able to use Jetlinks to "open in
Mozilla" or "open in Firefox" but fairly easy. (I add *new* bookmarks to Jetlinks and delete Mozilla
bookmarks before importing a revised set.)

I just installed and tried out Jetlinks, and it's pretty well
identical to Gul. Gul also doesn't include Firefox in its
import/export list, but it can be worked around as above, or by
exporting to IE Favorites and then importing from there to Firefox.

I was using the PlainOldFavorites extension for Firefox (IE Favorites
in the Firefox menu), but since I hardly ever use IE anymore, it's
kind of silly to keep it. So now I bookmark pages directly into
Firefox. But I still like to have all of them end up as IE Favorites,
since that's a standard that works with probably all bookmark
managers.
I've revised the Wish List page - having a problem uploading ATM. Danged nuisance stuff keeps
cropping up lately. . . changed the Google newsgroup search link on the web pages (again) - haven't
been able to upload those changes either. . . grumble, grumble, grumble. . . ;)

I know the feeling, but hey, you're doing a great job of it, and all
that work is making a lot of people very happy. :)