[FREEWARE WISHLIST] USB Hardware & Diagnostic Utility

SeaMaiden

WISHLIST
Programs for which there is no freeware alternative.

Name: USB information and diagnostics

REQUIREMENTS: It should be compatible with Windows 98/98SE and higher and
with Windows XP Service Pack 2. It MUST be comparable to USBInfo
(http://lpt.usbfireinfo.com) but be free. It should display the topology of
all installed USB and Related Devices, match each device to its USB
controller, match each USB mass storage device to its USB root hub, show
which port/hub each USB device is on and the power consumption, show whether
each device is running at USB1.0, 1.1 or 2.0. You must be able to view,
browse and test your USB devices and troubleshoot them. It should have a
simple interface like Device Manager in Windows, be easy on resources, and
have a clean uninstall. WHY NEEDED: No Existing Freeware

Bill

WISHLIST
Programs for which there is no freeware alternative.

Name: USB information and diagnostics

REQUIREMENTS: It should be compatible with Windows 98/98SE and higher and
with Windows XP Service Pack 2. It MUST be comparable to USBInfo
(http://lpt.usbfireinfo.com) but be free. It should display the topology of
all installed USB and Related Devices, match each device to its USB
controller, match each USB mass storage device to its USB root hub, show
which port/hub each USB device is on and the power consumption, show whether
each device is running at USB1.0, 1.1 or 2.0. You must be able to view,
browse and test your USB devices and troubleshoot them. It should have a
simple interface like Device Manager in Windows, be easy on resources, and
have a clean uninstall. WHY NEEDED: No Existing Freeware

Try this link Very Good Freeware you do need to regester but it is
free.

http://www.freshdevices.com/downfiles.html

Frank Bohan

Bill said:
Try this link Very Good Freeware you do need to regester but it is
free.

http://www.freshdevices.com/downfiles.html

The programs on this page may be OK but the link at the foot of the page to
an unnamed Spyware Remover, with no details given, was blocked by my
hostfile when attempting to link to
http://www.pcprivacysoftware.com/ads_alert.html . This seems to me to be
unacceptable behaviour and I would suggest using caution.

===

Frank Bohan
¶ Bureaucrats cut red tape, lengthwise.

SeaMaiden

Frank Bohan said:
The programs on this page may be OK but the link at the foot of the page
to an unnamed Spyware Remover, with no details given, was blocked by my
hostfile when attempting to link to
http://www.pcprivacysoftware.com/ads_alert.html . This seems to me to be
unacceptable behaviour and I would suggest using caution.

Frank Bohan
¶ Bureaucrats cut red tape, lengthwise.

I agree with Frank.

The FreshDevices programs themselves (FreshDownload, FreshDiagnose, FreshUI,
FreshView) have no adware or spyware. They are clean, but the FreshDevices
website and the emails you get announcing new versions are LOADED WITH ADS.
Be careful in those emails that you click the right links.

B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson

On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 00:31:06 GMT, SeaMaiden wrote:

[SIV]
This is geared mostly to PCI.

No. Despite just developing another GUI to Craig Hart's pcidevs.txt
Ray Hinchliffe added significant information on USB and monitor
devices.
It has some USB information but most of what I need it cannot do.
If I look at your list it does *most* things you wished for. It has
no diagnostic modules, though, as it is an *information* tool.

You said you'd like a tool comparable to <OT>USBInfo</OT>. That's
a very ugly sample of bloatware, IMHO. It barely recognizes half
of the USB vendors and devices SIV does. But it conceals that fact
behind a colorful interface.

Most of its diagnostic information comes straight from the Windows
system. You can get the same by just opening the Device Manager.
(Or you get hit by a system-provided message box, anyway.)

If you mostly need performance testing and diagnosis you should
have a look at the USB developers forum:

http://www.usb.org/developers/tools

They provide some free tools for these purposes.

BeAr

Susan Bugher

B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson said:
[...]

Hi BeAr,

I've been watching this thread - waiting for a consensus on what (if
anything) should be added to the Freeware Wish List. I take it you feel
adequate tools are available now to perform the tasks SeaMaiden listed.
Is that a correct reading?

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson

On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 19:36:55 -0500, Susan Bugher wrote:

[USB Info and diagnosis]
I've been watching this thread - waiting for a consensus on what (if
anything) should be added to the Freeware Wish List. I take it you feel
adequate tools are available now to perform the tasks SeaMaiden listed.
Is that a correct reading?

The requirements SeaMaiden listed were somewhat general. So it is
difficult to tell whether the programs I mentioned truly fulfill
her requirements. Her response seems to indicate a 'No'. But I
still think she's wrong, actually.

So, IMHO, there *are* appropriate tools available. (And have been
for years, coming to this...)

BeAr

Susan Bugher

B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson said:
On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 19:36:55 -0500, Susan Bugher wrote:

[USB Info and diagnosis]
I've been watching this thread - waiting for a consensus on what (if
anything) should be added to the Freeware Wish List. I take it you feel
adequate tools are available now to perform the tasks SeaMaiden listed.
Is that a correct reading?

The requirements SeaMaiden listed were somewhat general. So it is
difficult to tell whether the programs I mentioned truly fulfill
her requirements. Her response seems to indicate a 'No'. But I
still think she's wrong, actually.

AFAICT SeaMaiden didn't respond to your last post - that leaves things
kind of up in the air.
So, IMHO, there *are* appropriate tools available. (And have been
for years, coming to this...)

Okay, thanks BeAr. I'll consider this a dead "wish" for now. . .

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

SeaMaiden

Susan Bugher said:
B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson said:
[...]

Posted to alt.comp.freeware

I still wish for more freeware USB Info options. It takes time to read
through all the news messages daily, and I don't always have the time or
always read in order. Sometimes I skip around.

B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson

I still wish for more freeware USB Info options.

Can you tell, which kind of information you're missing from the tools
I listed. (Especially SIV).

If I only concentrate on the USB part of the SIV output it shows:

- USB connection tree complete with system DeviceID
- Interfaces, endpoints
- Vendor/manufacturer name for each device
- Device description and type; serial number (if any); revision
- supported USB version
- Power source and maximum power consumption
- in depth device capabilities (switching, protection, supported packet
sizes, remote wakeup [if appropriate], ports
- Eject button to disconnect devices which allow to be removed

The only thing which may repel users is the (hm, let's call it)
somewhat unusual GUI.

BeAr

Susan Bugher

I still wish for more freeware USB Info options. It takes time to read
through all the news messages daily, and I don't always have the time or
always read in order. Sometimes I skip around.

Hi SeaMaiden,

Please continue the discussion at your own pace. The "gestation period"
for some wishes has been months - with off-again on-again discussions.

I simply meant that I wouldn't add the "wish" to the Freeware Wish List
page till there was agreement on what is needed. Apologies for the poor
choice of words.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware