scrcpy, a tool to display and control Android devices from your desktop

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
scrcpy Now Available In Debian,ARCH,Gentoo,Mac,Windows.

scrcpy is a free and open source application that can be used to show an Android device's screen on a Linux, macOS or Windows desktop, allowing you to control it remotely. This can be done by connecting your Android device to a computer either via USB or wirelessly.

It should also be noted that scrcpy does not require root access in order to work.

Scrcpy is offered for the "testing and SID" Debian versions and will probably not be backported for older versions. There is however a SNAP build that will work on older Debian based os's and any os that supports snap offerings. Arch has a package in the AUR.For Gentoo, an Ebuild is available.

The projects site has all the detail you need to make the most of this great tool.

SCRCPY HOME SITE

"This application provides display and control of Android devices connected on USB (or over TCP/IP). It does not require any root access. It works on GNU/Linux, Windows and macOS.

screenshot

It focuses on:

• lightness (native, displays only the device screen)
  • performance (30~60fps)
  • quality (1920×1080 or above)
  • low latency (35~70ms)
  • low startup time (~1 second to display the first image)
  • non-intrusiveness (nothing is left installed on the device)"

:cool:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
What a cracking bit of software - this could be really handy for me for testing stuff on mobile!

They've even compiled the Windows binaries on the releases tab, so it's ready to run :).

Cheers for the heads up @Abarbarian!

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
What a cracking bit of software - this could be really handy for me for testing stuff on mobile!

They've even compiled the Windows binaries on the releases tab, so it's ready to run :).

Cheers for the heads up @Abarbarian!

Your not the only one who thinks it is neat. This is a response to my posting over at the other place.

It is a very cool application. I was playing around with it last month dominating mobile users on this billiards game. It is much easier to aim with a mouse than with fingers.

:lol:

Reaction score

Yes it really is a great piece of software. I use it all the time. Mostly to control my Firestick 4K's.

I was fed up with all the typing into the command prompt and all the typos I make, so as I also wanted to learn to code (well improve my coding), I have created a basic gui for adb and scrcpy using c#. I used c# as it is supposedly an easy language to learn and use. I am going to rewrite it in C++ when time allows. Anyway I have used Costura to build a stand-alone exe. It is much smaller than I was expecting, at about 130KB so not sure if I got the build right. I thought with all the dependencies it would be many MB.

Also you can use many basic ADB commands (install apk, update apk, reboot device etc).

The only typing needed is the IP address and port number. All the rest is done with the mouse.

You can create multiple scrcpy connections and save the settings to config files (one for each device etc), so no typing needed at all once this is done.

It is a work in progress but is usable. I need to improve the code and do some bug checking and make it look nicer (colour theme etc) and am working on that now.

I would really appreciate it if someone would be willing to test it on a system to see if it works as a stand-alone exe without having visual studio installed ( I only have the one PC so cannot test myself).

If you are willing to give this a go please reply or message me.

Many thanks.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Well I have actually set scrcpy up and run it successfully on my pc. As I am due to use it in real life. I have to attend a Driver Awerness Course as a result of the accident. Due to Covid they are not running for real and are all on line. This means that I have to use my phone, which I am not really up on, or use a pc with a webcam, which I do not have. So I am going to use scrcpy as so far in my testing it works well for what I will need.

Here are a few screenshots of it running on my Arch os.

The bottom buttons work and you can swipe left and right with the mouse.

GL84l7d.png

Duck Duck is fast and responsive. Wish my horses were as good.

xrblayA.png

You Tube is smooth and responsive.

rAhfGLY.png

Clicking on the square bottom right in the You Tube player does this,

b90IUv2.png

You Tube full screen looks pretty good.

vGykmuP.png

Audio plays on the phone as I am not going to bother trying to make it work through scrcpy.

Screencast your android device to ArcoLinux and/or Arch Linux

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/scrcpy/

https://tomotoes.com/scrcpy-gui/

Github site with loads of information on usage

Alternative gui, looks pretty comprehensive

sndcpy . purpose is to enable audio forwarding while mirroring with scrcpy.

Enjoy :thumb:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Getting sound to work with scrcpy was pretty easy.

you can use "sndcpy" from here,

https://github.com/rom1v/sndcpy

and simply run it in a terminal.

You need to run scrcpy and sndcpy in seperate terminals.

On my arch I installed

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/sndcpy-bin/

and created a script called "scrap"

Code:
#!/bin/bash

scrcpy &
sndcpy

then did a

Code:
chmod 700 scrap

and now I can use my phone on the pc by just running "scrap" in a terminal.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I managed to run Microsoft Teams from an app on the phone to my pc. The phones camera gave a good picture on the pc. The phones microphone only worked through the phone which is ok as the phone sounds pretty decent. I would have liked to get the sound working through the pc too though and thought sndcpy would accomplish this but it did not. So am of to go information hunting regarding this.

You Tube looks and sounds great using scrcpy+sndcpy though :D

Ask a Question