Messing about

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Finally got round to trying to install Suse 12.3 and... fail.

Here's some details, ISO downloaded, md5sum checked ok, burnt to disk.

System is my new AMD build, using hard disk caddy for primary drive, these drives currently working fine with this machine in the caddy:

Samsung 750Gb - Win XP 32 Bit SP3 (Kept only because the Dazzle video capture device I have only works with 32 Bit OS's and also for a few old games)
Hitachi 1Tb - Mint 14 KDE 64 Bit (Running like greased lightning)
Seagate 2Tb - Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit (Large disk is to accomodate 850Gb Steam folder)
Maxtor 160Gb - Mint 13 KDE 64 Bit (Have retained this as several downloads not yet completed).

And I tried to install Suse 12.3 on a Western Digital 500Gb disk I estimate to be around five years old, formatted and checked with the WD disk test software which pronounced it fit.

First thing I done was, out of curiosity, run the firmware test from the Suse menu. This showed CPU errors, 18 tests, 12 pass, 5 fail, 1 warning. The main fault according to Suse was that a couple of the four CPU cores were running below speed.

So, started install, it offered an option to divide up the 500Gb disk (no other HDD's were connected for install) so I agreed to that an started.

There followed about 101 error notices, ending with mbr fail.

And that was that.

Oh well, PC Linux OS anybody?

It may be worth mentioning that Suse 12.2 also failed to load on this machine but that was with a completely different setup, Motherboard/CPU & memory have been changed since then.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
So, just installed PC Linux OS 32 Bit, the version that was released in Aug '12 cos I had the disk lying about - it has installed perfectly to the WD 500Gb disk, sound works ok & web connection is good straight out of the box.

I don't understand why my setup seems to be allergic to Suse. Damned annoying, that's for sure.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
aye, some you win, some you lose ... me, I couldn't get Mint to work. :rolleyes:

that's Linux for you. :lol:

Ask a Question