Messing about

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Have just burnt DVD's of Mint 14 64 Bit KDE and Suse 12.3 64 Bit.

I intend to install Mint 14 to my media machine dual booting with Win 7 and use bit torrent software with Mint. Whether I'm successful and it works or not I know not, but I do have backup (via Acronis True Image) of Win 7 so not really that big a risk.

The new Suse looks good but the big agro, of course, is Suse are wimps and won't supply media playback apps so I'll have to go through all that crap installing media players.

But hey - it's all fun :)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Flops,

I have read many places that it is always a good idea to prepare the disk for partitioning through Windows to keep its integrity once partition is created, many folks have ruined their Windows partition when they use Linux to do that.

Windows as you know is very sensitive and slight error could render it unbootable.

Just thought I'd chime in with my 0.02 cents.:user:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Not many Linux distros install 'licensed' software by default ...

It is easy in OpenSuse 12.2 to just sudo zypper addrepo or even "one click" ... just thought you'd like an alternative if Mint fails. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Quad: Thanks for the advice, I've never used Win 7 (or any version of Windows) to make a partition, I'll have to look that one up. The disk on my media machine is small, it's a 74Gb Western Digital Velicoraptor so I hope there will be enough room for both OS's, I 've only just thought of that.

If not I have a spare SATA II 160Gb that will do the job.

Mucks: Nice link. I wonder if it will work for Suse 12.3?

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Quad: Thanks for the advice, I've never used Win 7 (or any version of Windows) to make a partition, I'll have to look that one up. The disk on my media machine is small, it's a 74Gb Western Digital Velicoraptor so I hope there will be enough room for both OS's, I 've only just thought of that.

If not I have a spare SATA II 160Gb that will do the job.

Flops,

I suggest you put the 160 GB in too and use the two for each operating system :nod:

You could also have both the OS on the faster drive and use the slower one for data folder. Suit yourself as to what will do a more efficient job.

Now, there is something very interesting I'd like to share with you. I just came across the new Linux distro which I thought would be ideal for a person like you, its called ArtistX for you to check it out, just briefly here is what this distro is all about.

ArtistX is a free DVD which turns a computer into a full multimedia production studio

It is based on Ubuntu GNU/Linux and contains nearly all the available free audio, 2D and 3D graphics, and video software for the GNU/Linux computing platform. It doesn’t need to be installed, and boots directly into a running system without touching hard drives. The files produced with ArtistX can be easily stored on USB devices or CD/DVD medium while it is running.

After nearly ten years of development and more than ten versions, the ArtistX 1.4 multimedia studio on a DVD is finally here. It’s an Ubuntu 12.10-based live DVD that turns a common computer into a full multimedia production studio. ArtistX 1.3 includes the 3.5.0-25 Linux kernel, GNOME 3.4 and about 2.500 free multimedia software packages, nearly everything that exists for the GNU/Linux operating system organized in the menu. Main features: based on Ubuntu 12.10 without Unity and with all updates (from October 2012); most of GNU/Linux multimedia packages and the very easy Ubiquity installer.

• Free 3D Engine and Development Software: Meshlabs
  • Free 3D Modelling and Animation Software: Art of Illusion, Ayam, Blender, Equinox 3D, K3d, Make Human, Moonlight3D, Sculptris, Wings3D, SweetHome3D, Y.A.P.R.M
  • Free Audio DJ Software: Beatport SYN, Freecycle, Freewheling, Mixxx, QSampler, Smasher, Tactile 12000, TerminatorX
  • Free Audio Synth Software: amSynth, Freebirth, Horgand, Hydrogen, Ingen, Mx44, Psychosynth, Qsynth, Rakarrack, SetBfree, Sineshaper, Yoshimi
  • Free Audio MIDI Tools: Arpage, MusE, Patchage
  • Free Audio Sound Editor Software: Audacity, Kwave, Rezound, Sweep, Wavesurfer
  • Free Audio DAW and Tracker Software: Ardour, Jokosher, Lmms, Rosegarden, Traverso, Wired
  • Free CAD Software: FreeCAD, LibreCAD
  • Free DVD Mastering Software: Bombono DVD, KMediaFactory, Mistelix
  • Free Font Software: FontForge, FontMatrix
  • Free Fractals Software: Fractalnow, Fraqtive, Mandelburber
  • Free Image and Picture Editing Software: GIMP, Krita, Pinta
  • Free Image and Picture Viewer Software: ImgSeek, Fotowall
  • Free Image Synthesis Software: Evolvotron, JavaMorph
  • Free Optical Caracter Recognition (OCR) Software: YAGF
  • Free Radio Software: Darksnow
  • Free Renderer Software: Aqsys, Kerkythea, Sunflow
  • Free TV and Recording Software: TV-Maxe, VLC
  • Free Vector Software: Delineate, Inkscape, SK1, Xara Xtreme
  • Free Video Editing Software: Avidemux, Cinelerra, Cinepaint, Jahshaka, Kdenlive, Lives
  • Free Video Encoding and Decoding Software: Handbrake, Mobile Media Converter, Transmageddon
  • Free Video Animation and Cartoon Software: Animata, Flash4Linux, Luciole, Synfig Studio, Toonloop
  • Free Video VJ Software: DelVJ, FreeJ, FreeMix, Gephex, OnyxVJ, Veejay, VSXU

:)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ah, perhaps I should have given media system details.

Atm I have the 74Gb Velicoraptor with Win 7 on it and a pair of 3Tb disks. One 3Tb disk has all my audio and video files on it, the other is there purely as a backup, saves having to keep backing up to an external disk.

I did consider using a RAID 1 for both the OS and data using the pair of 3Tb disks but the way I have it atm gives me more flexibility. I use Acronis True Image to back up the OS to an external disk.

I'm using a media case, an Antec Fusion (colour: black) which only has space for two hard disks so to that end my internal backup disk is in a convenient location inside the case and secured with velcro.

I figure there should actually be enough room on the 74Gb to take both Win 7 & Mint, we shall see.

ArtistX looks interesting, thanks for bringing it to my attention, I will consider it but I'm used to Mint. Also I don't know if you've been following the news but Ubuntu appear to be breaking away from the Linux Community and will be completely rewriting their kernel, which has drawn criticism from many members of the Open Source Community.

I know Mint is Ubuntu based (they also do a Debian based version) but Mint's developers have stated they'll be staying part of the community. I don't fully understand the whole issue but that's roughly about it.

On my other machine I have five disks within caddies including that 160Gb disk I mentioned and I now have Win XP and Win 7 on two of the disks and the other two disks are now ready for Mint 14 and Suse 12.3 so before I try any more distros II'm going to install those two from the DVD's I've already burnt.

However, I note ArtistX will run as a live distro so I may just install it to a USB stick (the biggest stick I have is 16Gb, hope that's big enough) or failing that I may burn a CD or DVD and try it as a live version. Thanks for pointing me at ArtistX.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Flops,

I found an alternative for you, AV Linux, since it can be tested as a live cd there is nothing to loose. Maybe this is something that suits you more.

The engine of AV Linux is a customized i686 3.0.16 Linux Kernel featuring many performance and tuning enhancements to effectively maximize operating efficiency. The most notable feature is the IRQ threading and rtirq-init functions of the Kernel being activated dy default which creates an optimal low latency audio production environment.

After I read the above I thought this would be an ideal distro as it is also not based on Ubuntu which you mention is going in a totally different direction. :) I did not know about Ubuntu's way of thinking until I read what you mention. I certainly will not be supporting Ubuntu from now onwards in any way as their way of thinking has left a very bad taste in my mouth. Where they are today is because of the Linux platform, dumping them is a very disloyal think to do. At least that is how I see it.:mad:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Well thank you Quad, will bear that one in mind.

Have just installed Mint 14 KDE 64 Bit to AMD machine, it has it's own 1Tb drive cos I intend this one to be a stayer.

Mint almost makes it too easy, even easier than Windows, truth be told. Flawless, painless install so far, all updates applied, running quick, smooth and snappy.

I've used such a big disk so I can store media on this one, audio, video, photos.

A bit late at night to do this but if you get in the mood, then do it ;)

I hear Suse 12.3 is good but not nearly so simple to install, have to manually install network/IP settings for instance. So we'll leave Suse for the weekend cos I got a busy day tomorrow, mucho physical stuff going down.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Sounds like you are having fun flops.
Personally I would not touch any of the buntus, though I have tried a couple of them a long while ago. Why swap one corporate dictatorship with another ?
I'm quite happy with me seemingly bomb proof Arch and Porteus as me travelling os at the moment. :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Personally I would not touch any of the buntus, though I have tried a couple of them a long while ago. Why swap one corporate dictatorship with another ?

Oh come on... Do you have to pay for the Ubuntu home distro? No, you don't, so hardly a corporate dictatorship. This is getting silly.

Tis true Ubuntu are getting beyond their station and it looks like because they've been the most popular distro for the past few years they think they can do what they like. So they are. Moving away from the Open Source community and becoming very independent. Not the spirit at all and it seems followers are deserting them in droves.

The version of Mint I use may be Ubuntu based but it's far from a corporate dictatorship, get right outta here :p And anyhow, I like it and it's free, what more do you want?

What's that? Oh, you want it tough, you want a challenge, you want to beat yourself up to prove how clever you are? Well if that's what you get off on, good for you Squire, but me, I like a simple life, me no clever-clogs, me big dufus and half wit :fool:

I tried Ubuntu once, a few years ago, didn't like it actually.

hairy northern git said:
I'm quite happy with me seemingly bomb proof Arch and Porteus as me travelling os at the moment. :D

Good for you matey, after you with the hairshirt ;)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Ubuntu hmmmmmmmmmmm Mark Shuttleworth hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/03/07/shuttleworth_ubuntu_leadership/

Shuttleworth said his goal is for Ubuntu to be not just another hobbyist Linux variant, but a serious challenger to the likes of Android, Apple, Chrome, and Windows. Achieving that, he said, would take leadership.

I read that as "I want to make tons of loot for me and my company"

he believes that if you're not on board with Unity and Canonical's broader vision, it's probably because you're stuck in and old-school geek mentality that has no place in Ubuntu.

self explanatory.

At the same time, he described Canonical's contribution to the project as "massive," and he cautioned other contributors not to expect Ubuntu to function as a purely community-driven Linux distro – because to Shuttleworth's mind, that kind of development model simply doesn't work for a project as ambitious as Ubuntu.

True Canonical has input a great deal. However so have millions of folk who contributed to Debian which Ubuntu is based upon. Not to mention all the Ubuntu contributors.
The last part I read as " I am the dictator and you will all do my bidding or perish"

So all in all I am not a fan of the Ubuntu philosophy and by association that includes any buntu as they are based on Ubuntu.:cool:
No hair shirts here for going on any crusades. Hairy barbarians have enough hair :lol:

A clean install of Arch is a pretty easy affair and standard features can also be installed easily.
I have run into some interesting problems but they were all caused by tinkering with esoteric programs.

:D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I pretty much agree with you on most points, I did say Unbuntu are going their own way. You see, human greed will always win over ideals. Well, most times anyway, unless your name happens to be Ghandi or summat...

But, again as I pointed out, Mint is only based on Unbuntu, which, as you pointed out, is based on Debian anyway, Mint is NOT Ubuntu and they've made it clear they won't be taking the same path as the would be millionaires are going to.

So I'm going to keep on using Mint, mostly for two reasons - it's free and it's easy. A bit like me really :D

I see some interesting developments ahead in the wonderful world of Open Source, I just knew somebody would start taking the Mick and get greedy.

And I have still to try Suse 12.3 but I am reading good reports so far.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Not the spirit at all and it seems followers are deserting them in droves.

Yes that is inevitable, the Linux community are very passionate fraternity and I would not be surprised if Ubuntu has a very bumpy start.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I was at Distrowatch and checking out as usual and came across the very interesting bit about Linux Mint's brand spanking new distro as of March 22, 2013. It even mentions that it is "Debian" based instead of Ubuntu based as they used to write before. I am quoting here what they say..........

Eleven months after the last release, a brand-new version of Linux Mint "Debian" edition (with MATE and Cinnamon, but no Xfce this time) is out: "The team is proud to announce the release of LMDE 201303. Hihlights: Update Pack 6; MATE 1.4 and Cinnamon 1.6; installer improvements (graphical time zone and keyboard selection, support for installation on multiple hard disk drives, slideshow, webcam and face picture support); device driver manager; Plymouth splash screen. LMDE in brief: Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE) is a semi-rolling distribution based on Debian 'Testing'. It's available in both 32-bit and 64-bit variants as a live DVD with MATE or Cinnamon. The purpose of LMDE is to look identical to the main edition and to provide the same functionality while using Debian as a base.
With that release they actually are bidding farewell to Ubuntu. With that, it would be very interesting to see how things unfold for the Linux platform on the whole.

Source

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I was at Distrowatch and checking out as usual and came across the very interesting bit about Linux Mint's brand spanking new distro as of March 22, 2013. It even mentions that it is "Debian" based instead of Ubuntu based as they used to write before. I am quoting here what they say..........

With that release they actually are bidding farewell to Ubuntu. With that, it would be very interesting to see how things unfold for the Linux platform on the whole.

Source

You should have read a bit further down the page Quad. This is from your source,

About Linux Mint Linux
Mint is an Ubuntu-based distribution whose goal is to provide a more complete out-of-the-box experience by including browser plugins, media codecs, support for DVD playback, Java and other components. It also adds a custom desktop and menus, several unique configuration tools, and a web-based package installation interface. Linux Mint is compatible with Ubuntu software repositories.
An from the Mint site,

http://www.linuxmint.com/download_lmde.php

1. Is LMDE compatible with Ubuntu-based Linux Mint editions?

No, it is not. LMDE is compatible with Debian, which isn’t compatible with Ubuntu.
4. How does LMDE compare to the Ubuntu-based editions?

Pros:

• You don’t need to ever re-install the system. New versions of software and updates are continuously brought to you.
  • It’s faster and more responsive than Ubuntu-based editions.
Cons:

• LMDE requires a deeper knowledge and experience with Linux, dpkg and APT.
  • Debian is a less user-friendly/desktop-ready base than Ubuntu. Expect some rough edges.
  • No EFI, GPT or secureBoot support.

As far as I can tell Mint is not changing over to a totally Debian based os. LMDE is just another flavour of Mint. Mind you if MS ruffles enough feathers who knows what may happen.

As to the Canonical thingy. There was no secret that Canonical is a for profit organisation it was just never really pushed to the forefront in discussions. That was my main reason for not wanting to get involved with any of the buntus. It was obvious that at some stage or another that MS would want to push the os in a direction of his choice.
Hence my puzzlement at folks wanting to jump out of the pan and into the fire.
Why abandon good old Windows and spend time and effort learning new tricks only to be herded like sheep?

breakfast.gif

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Hence my puzzlement at folks wanting to jump out of the pan and into the fire.
Why abandon good old Windows and spend time and effort learning new tricks only to be herded like sheep?

Wrong expression old chap 'out of the frying pan and into the fire'.

You are overlooking one very salient point:

Microsoft Win 7 Home Edition: Around £80 OEM, no free software such as Office Suites.

Win 8 basic edition - let's not go there ;)

Mint 64 Bit, Ubuntu or Debian based, all the free software you can shake a stick at: Zero, zilch, nada, free, no cash.

If that's the price I have to pay to be herded like a sheep then all I can say is 'Baaa'.

Your stance on this issue Mr Abarb, imo, smacks of elitism, and to my mind is possibly causing a parting of the ways amongst Linux fanciers. Not good, imo.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Abarbarian,

I have no clue what you are talking about. You obviously are a bit confused if I may say so. You need to read the blog at Linux Mint site to know the "big picture".

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I hardly think I am confused Quad. :rolleyes:

I posted the same link that you did and quoted from it.

Quote:
About Linux Mint Linux
Mint is an Ubuntu-based distribution whose goal is to provide a more complete out-of-the-box experience by including browser plugins, media codecs, support for DVD playback, Java and other components. It also adds a custom desktop and menus, several unique configuration tools, and a web-based package installation interface. Linux Mint is compatible with Ubuntu software repositories.
Linux Mint is still Ubuntu based. However the Linux Mint Debian Edition is based on Debian as my further links showed. LMDE is a variant of the main Linux Mint os. At least that is what is stated over at the main Linux Mint site.

NQieBST.png

:cool:

Ask a Question