Message to Ian

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
I'm not too sure how to adjust the rules on that application Zed, but I'm sure there will be a way to do it somehow :) It seems to tie in with the server move, but I'm not sure why that would throw the scanner off.

I dont think its your server dude. This happened as a direct result of downloading IE8....lotsa crazy stuff happened with pages crashing, windows nor responding and pages whiting out. I'd suspect the download meself...i havent heard of anyone else complaining about being locked out. Then when i open up outpost i unblock the subnet and everythings fine until your server does its thing???
What dya think??
Zzzzz

Reaction score
Hi Ian,

I have added PCR to my trusted sites and subnets and when i clicked "Add" it automatically called up the IP address and copied and pasted itself into the little addition box so everything should be okay, i hope.
I hope i made sense there. I'll report back if i get any more hits.
Zzzzz

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
I'm not too sure how to adjust the rules on that application Zed, but I'm sure there will be a way to do it somehow :) It seems to tie in with the server move, but I'm not sure why that would throw the scanner off.
Sorry Ian i forgot to mention murphy's law....me being a murphy n all LOL
Zzzzz

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
All these fecking firewalls do, is, block sites, I don't need the feckin hassle ... for home use all you need is your NAT/Router and windows firewall. :nod:

Is all I use.

:wave:

Reaction score
I hear ya man....i dont know if i would just trust defender by itself....its probably because i know f.all that i have all these probs....you never pick up viruses or owt then?? I still get them even with extra protection.
Thanks for the tips though.
Zzzzz

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Defender is not a firewall, Windows firewall is a firewall, and is good enough for me along with my NAT/Router. ;)

No, I don't get viruses, I ain't seen a real virus since 1998 ... the Blaster worm wasn't a virus, it was a worm, and no AV program could protect you from it, a firewall would have.

Defender is an anti-malware program, a good first line of defence too.

So, despite all your efforts to stem infections, you get caught? Hmmm, I wonder why?

:user:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Try the tests here Z. You need to click on PROCEED to get to page two.

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif,MS Sans Serif][size=-1]Your system has achieved a perfect "TruStealth" rating. Not a single packet — solicited or otherwise — was received from your system as a result of our security probing tests. Your system ignored and refused to reply to repeated Pings (ICMP Echo Requests). From the standpoint of the passing probes of any hacker, this machine does not exist on the Internet. Some questionable personal security systems expose their users by attempting to "counter-probe the prober", thus revealing themselves. But your system wisely remained silent in every way. Very nice. :D[/size][/font]

1.gif
[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif,MS Sans Serif][size=+0]Attempting connection to your computer. . .
[size=-1]Shields UP! is now attempting to contact the Hidden Internet Server within your PC. It is likely that no one has told you that your own personal computer may now be functioning as an Internet Server with neither your knowledge nor your permission. And that it may be serving up all or many of your personal files for reading, writing, modification and even deletion by anyone, anywhere, on the Internet![/size]
[/size][/font]
reddash.gif
[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif,MS Sans Serif][size=+0]Your Internet port 139 does not appear to exist!
[size=-1]One or more ports on this system are operating in FULL STEALTH MODE! Standard Internet behavior requires port connection attempts to be answered with a success or refusal response. Therefore, only an attempt to connect to a nonexistent computer results in no response of either kind. But YOUR computer has DELIBERATELY CHOSEN NOT TO RESPOND (that's very cool!) which represents advanced computer and port stealthing capabilities. A machine configured in this fashion is well hardened to Internet NetBIOS attack and intrusion.[/size]
[/size][/font]
reddash.gif
[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif,MS Sans Serif][size=+0]Unable to connect with NetBIOS to your computer.
[size=-1]All attempts to get any information from your computer have FAILED. (This is very uncommon for a Windows networking-based PC.) Relative to vulnerabilities from Windows networking, this computer appears to be VERY SECURE since it is NOT exposing ANY of its internal NetBIOS networking protocol over the Internet.[/size]
[/size][/font]

Above is me Mandy set up result.
laughingsmiley.gif
laughingsmiley.gif

Last edited:
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
So, despite all your efforts to stem infections, you get caught? Hmmm, I wonder why?

Or what sites you are looking at..One of my laptops has no AV or th like..All I use is Windows firewall..

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
Or what sites you are looking at..One of my laptops has no AV or th like..All I use is Windows firewall..

Lately a lot of respectable sites have been having problems so his problems could have come from anywhere. If everyone kept a secure as possible pc infection would drop dramatically just like Polio in the real world. Why because the return would not be worth the effort for the bad guys. Also it would make detection a great deal easier for the good guys as they would have less chasing around to do.

happywave.gif

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
Lately a lot of respectable sites have been having problems so his problems could have come from anywhere. If everyone kept a secure as possible pc infection would drop dramatically just like Polio in the real world. Why because the return would not be worth the effort for the bad guys. Also it would make detection a great deal easier for the good guys as they would have less chasing around to do.

happywave.gif

I know what yer saying..The site you link us to for the freebies, for me Kaspersky keeps blocking it..Quite frustrating as you have linnked some good software and I know you wouldn't link to duff sites...In general I try to keep away from freebie sites,as thats been where most of my downfalls have come from..If I feel the need to downlad something I try use Softpedia..But in general I only ever visit about 5 sites and am trouble free..Was comparing with a mat the other day just on banner adds, he had thousands and I only had about 50 according to KIS...On one of me laptops since I did a slim version of XP using nLite I have found not to get much malware/spyware etc..Seems when you get rid of the tonnes of crap MS include, you seem to be a bit safer..

Reaction score
Hi folks jusdt while your talkin about sites that are clean...CNet i think is clean and it states that all their downloads are cleanies. Now i wasnt born yesterday and dont believe everything i read. I have been using DAP which scans the downloads while its happening.
AB i'm gonna try that test you suggested but i'll turn vipre off for one test and outpost off for the second and see what happens. It looks you got a clean bill of health so i'm eager to try it just for comparison.
Zzzzz

Reaction score
open.gif
[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif,MS Sans Serif]Open [/font]
closed.gif
[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif,MS Sans Serif]Closed [/font]
stealth.gif
[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif,MS Sans Serif]Stealth[/font][font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif,MS Sans Serif]Total elapsed testing time: 68.256 seconds[/font]
transpixel.gif

trustealthanalysis.gif
passed.gif
transpixel.gif

graypixel.gif

transpixel.gif
[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif,MS Sans Serif][size=-1]Your system has achieved a perfect "TruStealth" rating. Not a single packet — solicited or otherwise — was received from your system as a result of our security probing tests. Your system ignored and refused to reply to repeated Pings (ICMP Echo Requests). From the standpoint of the passing probes of any hacker, this machine does not exist on the Internet. Some questionable personal security systems expose their users by attempting to "counter-probe the prober", thus revealing themselves. But your system wisely remained silent in every way. Very nice.

[/size][/font]
1.gif
[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif,MS Sans Serif][size=+0]Attempting connection to your computer. . .
[size=-1]Shields UP! is now attempting to contact the Hidden Internet Server within your PC. It is likely that no one has told you that your own personal computer may now be functioning as an Internet Server with neither your knowledge nor your permission. And that it may be serving up all or many of your personal files for reading, writing, modification and even deletion by anyone, anywhere, on the Internet![/size]
[/size][/font]
reddash.gif
[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif,MS Sans Serif][size=+0]Your Internet port 139 does not appear to exist!
[size=-1]One or more ports on this system are operating in FULL STEALTH MODE! Standard Internet behavior requires port connection attempts to be answered with a success or refusal response. Therefore, only an attempt to connect to a nonexistent computer results in no response of either kind. But YOUR computer has DELIBERATELY CHOSEN NOT TO RESPOND (that's very cool!) which represents advanced computer and port stealthing capabilities. A machine configured in this fashion is well hardened to Internet NetBIOS attack and intrusion.[/size]
[/size][/font]
reddash.gif
[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif,MS Sans Serif][size=+0]Unable to connect with NetBIOS to your computer.
[size=-1]All attempts to get any information from your computer have FAILED. (This is very uncommon for a Windows networking-based PC.) Relative to vulnerabilities from Windows networking, this computer appears to be VERY SECURE since it is NOT exposing ANY of its internal NetBIOS networking protocol over the Internet.

[/size]
[/size][/font]Exactly the same as yours with Outpost AB. Now i'll turn Vipre on and outpost off and do it again....
Zzzzz
[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif,MS Sans Serif][size=-1]

[/size][/font]

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi AB,
I have ran 2 tests as explained earlier with the 2 security systems and both came back with exactly the same results.After that i dont know what to think. Obviously both systems appear tobe working but i think that the results may just have been an automated response to their test that everybody gets...add some paranoia...good site though
Zzzzz

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Mine was done on a Linux box with no security software installed Z. Try the tests with all your security switched off if you think the site is just posting a stock reply.

laughingsmiley.gif

Reaction score
How many viruses or malware do you think are just waiting to dive into me hard drive...its a much sought after bit of property i'll have you know LOL
Zzzzz

Ask a Question