Message to Ian

Reaction score
Hi Ian,
I got a message on screen with that address we talked about again and i went immediately into my security events.
What happened was my security sensed a scan and blocked out the subnet for 60minutes.
So i couldnt post to PCR for 60 minutes. I then unblocked the subnet and hey presto, i can post again.
This has only happened since i downloaded IE8. Also pages are whiting out on me, pages are hangin/ freezing up and text is garbled since i downloaded IE8....Bring back IE7 i hear them shout!! LOL
Anyway how do i get around this??
Zzzzz

Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
Do you want to go back to IE7..? What OS are you running...?

Do you remember that vista with the 32bit 4gb of memeory we talked about earlier.....why do you aks??
Zzzzz

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Uninstall IE8 and go back to IE7 or use Firefox :thumb:

Reaction score
captain zed said:
Do you remember that vista with the 32bit 4gb of memeory we talked about earlier.....why do you aks??
Zzzzz

If I could remember every thread i'd be a genius...Anyway....Control Panel >Programs and features > Installed Updates...Look for IE 8 and uninstall..Reboot your machine.When its done rebooting you'll be back to IE 7..Or as Addy has said, install Firefox..You'll be much happier.
.:thumb:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
It could be that your security software doesn't work with IE8, I've not used Outpost Security Suite before but it could be reporting false positives with the latest version of IE.

Which AV software do you use out of interest?

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
It could be that your security software doesn't work with IE8, I've not used Outpost Security Suite before but it could be reporting false positives with the latest version of IE.

Which AV software do you use out of interest?

I'm using Vipre AV at the mo but i also have spybot and superantispyware.
Everybody tells me that ya cant have more than one AV but thats rubbish. I have a few different programs on my pc and they all work harmomiously together. I reckon the manufacturers put that out there to deter people from buying other software.
Did i mention that theres no probs with firefox and i'm getting more and more used to it as i go.
Dya want me to check my outpost events again for ya to see if pcr's ip is attacking me again LOL.
Zzzzz

Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:

If I could remember every thread i'd be a genius...Anyway....Control Panel >Programs and features > Installed Updates...Look for IE 8 and uninstall..Reboot your machine.When its done rebooting you'll be back to IE 7..Or as Addy has said, install Firefox..You'll be much happier.
.:thumb:

Thanks for your help suggestions MadX.....i'm gonna check firefox for awhile....i think it is actually quicker.
I guess i just got used to IE and knew no different as it were.

Reaction score
Captain Zed said:
Everybody tells me that ya cant have more than one AV but thats rubbish. I have a few different programs on my pc and they all work harmomiously together

Are they all running at the same time...?Generally it is not adviseable to run more then one AV at a time as this can cause conflict...And what is your defenition of Antivirus..?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
Are they all running at the same time...?Generally it is not adviseable to run more then one AV at a time as this can cause conflict...And what is your defenition of Antivirus..?

Hi MadX,

Yes it appears to be a concensus that to have more than one AV running at a time can cause conflict but it depends on how you use them. Spybot and superA just sit there doing nothing most of the time and then if i think ive picked up a virus i unleash the hounds and i have Vipre operating in realtime alongside outpost and the only thing that happens is that outpost reports it could not open files called Vipre.
I suppose my definition of antivirus is a program which searches out viruses and then either quarantines them or kills them immediately depending on how you set them up. I must say i have never run superA and spybot at the same time which i will now try later on just for a laugh. Aaaar
Zzzzz

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Spybot and superA
They ain't AV programs, I repeat, they are NOT antivirus programs.

Outpost is a Firewall, it is probably what is causing your "problem" with connecting ... bin it if you have a "Router", you then use Windows firewall instead. Do need to know if you are using a NAT Router.

Vipre is your AV program, if you can find it Here then tell me its score.

:user:

Reaction score
Hi Muckshifter,
The latest Outpost i'm nearly sure has a firewall and antimalware/antivirus system or i wouldnt have put it on my pc.
I switched it from Bit defender.
Here's what it claims in the program....it protects from viruses, trojans,worms, spyware and all other forms of malware.
In your opinion do you think is a false claim? I have to admit i dont really know a whole lot about AV's and take most of these programs at face value and believing their claims. This outpost states it has real time protection. Is this not a sign of an AV??
Zzzzz

Reaction score
Also forgot to add that yes i am using a wireless router, for a long time before this issue showed up so i automatically trusted it to be fine. Its a Belkin N MIMO...NAT.Why do you ask about the router?? do you think it may be causing trouble. Do you think its protection will keep me safe from viruses??
Sorry Muckshifter for all the possibly dumb questions but i'll never learn if i dont ask.Oh, and while i'm asking what kind of progs are spybot and superA ??
Zzzzz

Reaction score
Spybot and Super Anti Spyware are both Spyware programs that remove Spyware and adwarefrom your pc.

Don't get spybot its not as good as it used to be, Super Anti Spyware is better at detecting infections.

Reaction score
Thanks Wiz,
I was of the impression that viruses and infections are the same....now i know a bit more than i did yesterday.I already have spybot i'm afraid....it will probably be hard to ditch as well i suppose.
Zzzzz

Reaction score
It looks ok to me, but I cant really comment as I have never used it, I would still recommend Nod32 or Kaspersky for paid or Anti Vir for free. Has it detected virus and removed them ok?

Reaction score
Yeah,
Its caught a few trojans and a lot of malware stuff but i downloaded IE8 and it playing up now. Every time it senses a scan it blocks it out regardless of who it is. It seems to have a special dislike for the PCR servers the last 48 hours or so.
Maybe i'll ask the mods how i can adjust or add PCR to the rules somehow.
Thanks for your usual speedy reply
Zzzzz

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm not too sure how to adjust the rules on that application Zed, but I'm sure there will be a way to do it somehow :) It seems to tie in with the server move, but I'm not sure why that would throw the scanner off.

Ask a Question