Windows XP Memory Error codes and Data exection

Reaction score
Hiya, All.

I am having a few problems with my computer it keeps comping up with this error please see pcic below. What does this relate to?? Could this be the start of my ram going?

Can you please let me know.

Thanks,

wizkid

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 255

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've moved this to the XP forum as I think this is more likely a software problem. Do you get any more information with details of the faulting modules or files?

Also, when does this occur - on startup, when browsing files etc...?

I'm guessing you have Windows fully patched and up to date with anti-spyware and anti-virus applications?

Reaction score
Hiya,

Thanks for the reply,

This verison of xp is patched and update with all the spyware software and AV. I sometimes get an error saying failed to wirte to memory this error comes up 3 times at once usally when browsing files and starting pc up I have ran Mem test 86+ for about 50 mins now and it hasnt found anything yet. So could this mean that the memory is ok??

Can you please advise me on the above.

Thanks,

wizkid

Reaction score
[Clicky]
The above article from Microsoft seems to show ways in which to configure the error you're receiving. Perhaps have a read through?
It's stopping Windows Explorer so there's almost certainly a virus involved in this equation.
I'd let the memory test run til it's finished and then conclude as to whether your memory is OK or not. Your computer seems a little messed up mate.

Considered restoring to a previous time of which the computer was functioning without this/these error(s)?

Reaction score
Hiya,

Thanks for the reply.

I ran memtest 86+ for just over an hour and it did not find any thing there is not a set time with memtest you can cancel it when you want to. I am using Kespersky AV and ran a scan the other day and it was fiine would it be a good idea to run some online scans to see if that finds anything??

Can you please advise me on the above.

Thanks.

wizkid

Reaction score
Give it two hours? ...if nothing is found then, then I'd personally say it's OK.

I recommend using Home avast! and use the BOOT Scan, it's amazing! Make sure it's up-to-date with the latest virus definitions first though. It can even remove silly Windows Live Messenger (WLM) viruses--if avast! says there isn't a virus then ...maybe, just maybe, you may not have one.
I personally wouldn't recommend running just any program from the Internet, maybe read some reviews on what is highly recommended for virus scans.

I repeat: Have you considered using 'System Restore' (found at: Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools) check to see if there's any restore points of which you know are worthwhile restoring to. If you find one then reboot in Safemode and then run the System Restore function.

Reaction score
Would it be worth reformatting the drive and reinstalling windows??

Could you please let me know,

wizkid

Reaction score
Hiya,

I have ran Avast boot scan and it found nothing. I have also let mem test run for 2 and half hours and that found nothing either. The only thing that I have not tried is a roll back of the system yet.

I have also just installed Java on this computer could this cause the problem if its not installed??

Any more ideas are most welcome.

Thanks,

Wizkid

Reaction score
Hi, Mucks,

Thanks for the link and a big thank you for taking the time to read though my HJT log. Please see below.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 20:37:14, on 17/02/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\RTHDCPL.EXE
C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus 7.0\avp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_FATIBEE.EXE
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\MOM.EXE
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Free Download Manager\fdm.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\ccc.exe
C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus 7.0\avp.exe
C:\Program Files\Diskeeper Corporation\Diskeeper\DkService.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7DEBUG\MDM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\usnsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
R3 - URLSearchHook: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: FDMIECookiesBHO Class - {CC59E0F9-7E43-44FA-9FAA-8377850BF205} - C:\Program Files\Free Download Manager\iefdm2.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RTHDCPL] RTHDCPL.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Alcmtr] ALCMTR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVP] "C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus 7.0\avp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EPSON Stylus DX4000 Series] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\DRIVERS\W32X86\3\E_FATIBEE.EXE /FU "C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\E_SA4.tmp" /EF "HKLM"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StartCCC] "C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CLIStart.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Free Download Manager] "C:\Program Files\Free Download Manager\fdm.exe" -autorun
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download all with Free Download Manager - file://C:\Program Files\Free Download Manager\dlall.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download selected with Free Download Manager - file://C:\Program Files\Free Download Manager\dlselected.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download video with Free Download Manager - file://C:\Program Files\Free Download Manager\dlfvideo.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download with Free Download Manager - file://C:\Program Files\Free Download Manager\dllink.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: Web Anti-Virus statistics - {1F460357-8A94-4D71-9CA3-AA4ACF32ED8E} - C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus 7.0\SCIEPlgn.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://asia.msi.com.tw
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://global.msi.com.tw
O15 - Trusted Zone: http://www.msi.com.tw
O16 - DPF: {8167C273-DF59-4416-B647-C8BB2C7EE83E} (WebSDev Control) - http://liveupdate.msi.com.tw/autobios/LOnline/install.cab
O23 - Service: Ad-Aware 2007 Service (aawservice) - Lavasoft - C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007\aawservice.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
O23 - Service: Kaspersky Anti-Virus 7.0 (AVP) - Kaspersky Lab - C:\Program Files\Kaspersky Lab\Kaspersky Anti-Virus 7.0\avp.exe
O23 - Service: Diskeeper - Diskeeper Corporation - C:\Program Files\Diskeeper Corporation\Diskeeper\DkService.exe

--
End of file - 5188 bytes

Just got the error when [font=&quot]exiting [/font]Remove programs in control panel.

Many Thanks,

wizkid

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
No problem ...

No nasties found ... only one that you can 'tidy' up is;

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)
Unnecessary (deactivated) entry that can be fixed.

apart from that, no problems. :thumb:

user.gif

Reaction score
Hi Mucks,

Thanks very much for looking though it.

Can I remove the yahoo stuff as I dont have the yahoo toolbar installed or not?

Could you please advise me.

Thanks,

wizkid

Reaction score
wizkid said:
Would it be worth reformatting the drive and reinstalling windows?
Not yet, no.

wizkid said:
I have also just installed Java on this computer could this cause the problem if its not installed?
No. Java is a nice thing to have but it's not essential for the running of Windows Explorer, in particular.

wizkid said:
I have ran Avast boot scan and it found nothing. I have also let mem test run for 2 and half hours and that found nothing either. The only thing that I have not tried is a roll back of the system yet.
I think a system restore would be justified, just remember to backup any data (better to be safe than sorry) and then proceed with the system restore.

wizkid said:
It is safe to remove Yahoo "stuff" yes, as it isn't essential to the functioning of the computer.

muckshifter

Reaction score
wizkid said:
Hi Mucks,

Thanks very much for looking though it.

Could you please advise me.

Thanks,

wizkid
Use "add & remove programs" not HJT to remove Yahoo. ;)

:thumb:

Reaction score
Hi Mucks,

I did use add and remove programs to remove yahoo stuff. Why is it showing in HJT is this because it still in the registry?

Can you please advise me,

Thanks,

wizkid

muckshifter

Reaction score
wizkid said:
Hi Mucks,

I did use add and remove programs to remove yahoo stuff. Why is it showing in HJT is this because it still in the registry?

Can you please advise me,

Thanks,

wizkid
Ah right ... I'm going blind, was only really looking for any nasties. ;)

You can use HJT to clean out any of them "file missing/no file" entries. :nod:

A lot of "stuff" gets left behind with any "add/remove" programs, try CCleaner also, if it don't clean out those remnants, don't worry about it. :thumb:

:user:

Reaction score
Hiya,

Thanks for your help.

I have just done a repair install of xp and I am still getting this error. Would it be best to reformat the drive and do a clean install of XP again??

Can you please let me know.

Thanks,

wizkid

Reaction score
wizkid said:
I have just done a repair install of xp and I am still getting this error. Would it be best to reformat the drive and do a clean install of XP again??
You can either format now, or you can disable Data Execution Prevention (DEP) for Windows Explorer.

If you chose to Disable DEP for Windows Explorer:
Read through this WikiPedia Article on DEP: Clicky and familiarise yourself with the risks you may be vulnerable to if you chose to disable DEP for Windows Explorer.

Now, to actually disable DEP for Windows Explorer:
My Computer -> right click Properties -> Advanced (tab) -> under the Performance box section Settings -> Data Execution Prevention (tab) -> select 'Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select:' -> Add -> navigate to the Windows folder (most probably on your C:\ drive) and type explorer.exe in the 'File Name:' text box -> Open -> click OK to the Warning -> Apply -> OK

That should disable DEP for Windows Explorer, thus remove the error.

Otherwise format :)

Note: I do not take any responsibility for any consequences done by the above actions. I'm just advising, it's up to you to familiarise yourself with the risks.

wizkid said:
got a new error code.
See attached file.
I believe that's the same error as saliha was having. Read this topic. If what happens to you is different then let us know. If you're going to format your computer, chose to ignore this error message until after formatting. (formatting can sometimes remove that error--somehow lol {did for me, once})

Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for the reply Jason,

Yes thats the same error as I am getting I am reloading Windows on that system now, and I will let you know the outcome. What if I still get that error code that I listed above. Could this mean that the memory is faulty even though mem test 86 said its not I know that Windows can still find problems with memory even when other programs cant??

Can you please advise on the above.

Thanks,

wizkid

Ask a Question