Windows Vista Vista Nightmare

Reaction score
I recently upgraded from XP to vista. it worked fine. i just had a problem playing my all time favorite game World of Warcraft because I only had about 1GB of RAM. I bough tmore RAM and put it in my comp. And that is when the problems started. as soon as i turn the comp on and programs start loading up i get a BSOD. I removed the older memory stick i had and i stopped getting the BSOD but the comp would freeze. I am at the point where i can't do anything with my comp at all. I have 2 other comps that are running XP on my home network and i can see them on the comp with vista but i can't se the vista comp on the XP ones. I have tried everything possible to fix this problem. I have uninstalled programs. I was going to re-install Vista but there isn't enough room on my C drive for me to do that. I have 2 hard drives btw. I am curious though how to update my bios. is it the same as updating the driver for the motherboard? Mu hubby built this comp in 2003. Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

ETA:

• Operating System: Windows Vista
  • Anti Virus Software : None
  • Anti Spyware Software : Microsoft Defender
  • How do you connect to the net : LAN with cable modem
  • Your Computer Specifications:
System Manufacturer: VIA Technologies, Inc. KT400-8235
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD AThlon XP 2400+, MMX, 3DNow, 2.0 GHz
Memory: 1536 RAM

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'm afraid we need to know:

1) The sizes of your two hard disks.
2) The motherboard make & model
3) Your memory type and configuration (how many sticks).
4) Memory type and number of sticks of the new memory.

It sounds as though you have memory problems, possibly faulty, and also that your primary hard disk may be too small but without details I'm only guessing.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Have you tried putting the old ram back in as it was before you put in the new ram ?? If it worked before it should work again .

user.gif

Reaction score
Get off the World of Warcraft addiction, put your old ram back in and bingo! you have a better way of life and a working computer! :D

Reaction score
Memory Stuff

I have 1 512MB Centon PC3200 400MHz chip and 2 512 Kingston PC3200 400MHZ chips. All are DDR SDRAM. I haven't yet tried to put them all back and see what happens. My Motherboard is a VIA Technologies KT400-8235. I can't let go of WoW. It is my only outlet. :) I will try to put all the old memory back in and see what happens though. I removed the oldest one and I didn't get the BSOD but I did get a lot of freezes. Thanks for all the advice guys.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'm afraid VIA Technologies KT-400-8235 refers to the motherboard chipset and not the motherboard.

If you can find the motherboard make and model it would help. Also the size of your hard disk and how much space is left on it.

Vista likes 2Gb of memory and will run a little sluggish with less.

Your PC is also quite old, if it's an AMD model it's likely a Socket A or 939 Processor.

It's likely that your machine just isn't powerful enough to run Vista, which would explain the freezes.

An almost full hard disk would cause freezes as well.

But without details, this is guess work.

Edit: Just looked at the first post again :blush:

Ok, it looks like a Socket 939 2Ghz CPU. That's good enough to run Vista, now we need motherboard and hard disk details.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
thegodfather123 said:
i have trouble playing age of empires 3

Well that's a bugger isn't it? :)

I sometimes have trouble getting up in the morning... ;)

It would be better to start a new thread, Mr Godfather.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
If you have no anti-virus installed it is quite possible that you have a nasty infecting your pc .

user.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Taffycat said:
MrsTre, you might find this helpful for discovering the make of your motherboard - as well as lots of other useful PC info - by downloading "System Information for Windows" aka "SIW" as recommended by Ian here. Good luck. :)

:wave:

That's a nifty little program - have just installed it within Vista and it works a treat :thumb:

Strange I didn't know about it :D

Reaction score
Motherboard

I have no idea what motherboard I have. I do know that I have 2 hard drives. one was 10GB and the other was 150GB. The 150 is nowhere near being full. I went back to the old RAM as I was advised and it worked fine. no more crashes. I tried to restart my comp and as it was booting up it just turned off. Everytime i turn it on it does that so i am thinking that now i need a new power supply. i am not too worried about it now though. hubby bought me a laptop so i can at least check my email and take care of other stuff i need to do. Not off the Warcraft though. I doubt if I will ever be. thanks for all your help and advice though. if i can ever get my desktop working again i will definitely run that check to find out what kind of motherboard i have.

Ask a Question