Windows XP Media Player in Wondows XP

Reaction score
I bought Windows XP Pro (Don't ask why, I was feeling flush!) and I am having a problem with the media player. Every time I try to open am Mpeg by double clicking I get an error message saying something about not being able to open MP and when I click OK drops me back to the desktop. When I right click on the Mpeg and select OPEN (The default is PLAY) it opens fine. :confused:

I've tried to change things under View | Folder Options | File type and changing the default thing that happens when I double click, and even deleting the PLAY command, but nothing seems to happen! :angry:

Does anybody have any ideas please?

Many thanks,

Chris

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Do you know the exact error it gives you?

I have a little idea, which is similar to what you have already done, but it may work!

• Hold Shift and right click on an Mpeg file
  • Click on "Open With", then "Choose Program"
  • Select Windows Media Player from the list, and tick the small "Always open with..." box at the bottom

That may do it, but if you can find out the exact error I might be able to help further :)

Reaction score
It says:

This file does not have a program associated with it for this action.Create an association in the folder options control panel.

Many thanks

Chris

Ask a Question