Windows 10 Media Player where is it???!!!

Reaction score
I am now back on W10 and had a BIG shock and surprise WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO Media Player. It seems to have disappeared completely !!!!!!!:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:and all my music files are there but I Cannot play them:confused::confused::mad::mad::mad::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::confused::confused::confused::confused:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
press the start button, start typing media......... should be top of the list.

or ... right-click file, play with media player

works for me :)

Reaction score
This is the message I get when I try to use it:-

The license cannot be downloaded because your Web browser is not supported.

To download a license, you must install Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 or later.

To install the latest version of Internet Explorer, see the Windows Update page.

Reaction score
Just investigated this and from Microsoft's own web site is this message:-

What is the Microsoft Groove Music app?
Applies to Windows 10

• Microsoft Groove Music is brand new for Windows 10. It plays your music collection and lets you make and listen to playlists. Add your MP3s to OneDrive and you can use the Groove Music app to play your songs on other devices, too – PCs, tablets, Windows Phone and Xbox – for free.

• The app is best, however, when you use it with a Groove Music Pass. For a low monthly fee, Groove Music Pass lets you stream and download music from one of the biggest music catalogues on the planet. Custom radio stations play hours of music based on your favourite artists. Use Groove Music Pass on your PC, tablet, phone (including iOS and Android) and Xbox.
    As I have just installed W10 they are now charging for the luxury of listening to your own music. I wonder what other apps they will start charging for now they are giving you a free operating system:confused::confused::confused:

muckshifter

Reaction score
I DON'T USE INTERNET EXPLORER!

yes, MS have gone down the road to 'compete' with Apple OS and Android ... programs are now called apps.

I have no idea why your Win 10 won't let you use Media Player ... mine just works out of the box.

What media are you trying to play? What version of Win 10 are you using? only Floppybootstomp uses IE (he's a sadist :) )

:user:

Windows 7 DVD can be bought from £20 - stupid price ... end of recycle 14 January 2020 ... bear in mind, that is just for major critical security updates.

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I have a good mind to revert to W 8.2 or have another look at Linux :cry::cry::cry:

Have you actually tried Mint yet? Sorry, but you seem to have tried so many I can't recall.

If not, give it a whirl, it's really so simple I've been using it regularly for at least three years now, easy to understand and stable.

You may remember I've been recommending it to you for some time now.

I still have nine months to install my 'free' copy of Win 10 should I decide to.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Media player classic home cinema and musicbee.

/thread.

Out of interest go into programs and features then 'turn windows features on or off' look for media player in there.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Have you actually tried Mint yet? Sorry, but you seem to have tried so many I can't recall.

If not, give it a whirl, it's really so simple I've been using it regularly for at least three years now, easy to understand and stable.

You may remember I've been recommending it to you for some time now.

Must be good as you have not sent out any calls for help in the last three years. Mint is pretty good even if it has some buntu stuff in it. :nod:

Reaction score
I was using 64 bit am writing this on the wife's PC and in the middle of reinstalling W8.1:cheers: . Does anyone realise that if you use the new media player to its full potential Microsoft are going to charge you the princely sum of just over £100 a year, so you will pay just for that apt £500+ which is more than buying the O/S in the first place and the dam thing doesn't run correctly:mad:. Been on line and there many complaints about W10 on Microsoft's websites and not only about the media player but lots of other glitches. Got to go now as lots of time spending rebuilding my PC. :wave:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Are you still talking about Groove? Coz I dunno, I removed all the stock apps (apart from the Xbox one as that is actually useful) as soon as I installed 10. ;)

As per the sticky in the Win 10 section:

How to remove built in apps

Paste these comments into Powershell (as Admin)
Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.3DBuilder | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.Getstarted | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.MicrosoftOfficeHub | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.MicrosoftSolitaireCollection | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.SkypeApp | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.WindowsMaps | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.BingWeather | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.Office.OneNote | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.XboxApp | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.ZuneMusic | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.ZuneVideo | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.BingSports | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.BingNews | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.WindowsPhone | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.BingFinance | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.WindowsSoundRecorder | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.Windows.Photos | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.WindowsCamera | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.WindowsAlarms | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.People | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge | Remove-AppxPackage

Also in case you missed it the first time.....

Media player classic home cinema and musicbee

/thread.

http://getmusicbee.com/

https://mpc-hc.org/

They will play any media you throw at them from WMA to FLAC and avi's to mkv's.

These can also be found in the Essential PC software thread in the General Software sub forum. :)

muckshifter

Reaction score
I have Win 10 home premium, this system, and Win 10 Pro on the laptop ... both have the free Windows Media player.

I have no idea why you are having problems. :confused:

Reaction score
I have removed W10 and back on W8.1:lol::thumb:My guess is that on the updates at some time you very may lose it as they are pushing Groove and it brings in a income.
I am going to dual boot with a Linux system after I have had a thorough investigation, not jumping into anything as have learned a very valuable lesson over the last couple of weeks and need to reign in on my impulsive nature.:nod::nod::nod::D:D:D:D

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have been on Microsoft's website and there many comments about problems on W10 and many people other than me are complaining about not having or not being able to access Media player. There many other complaints about courrupt W10 downloads so I think Microsoft may have pushed out unstable OS and it could be best to leave downloading for a few months to allow them to rectify the faults

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Sorry but no.

As is with most things the unhappy are far more vocal than the happy.

Win 10 is fine, yes it takes some setting up and getting used to but its really not that much of an issue once you've done that. Lets face it it is essentially a reskined Windows 8. ;)

Not trying to sound rude but 99% of the issues I've seen on forums/Reddit and the internet in general are user error or similar.

Also: https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/5542/so-how-successful-is-75-million-windows-10-pcs

But forget all that. The real reason the Windows 10 figure is so astonishing is because of the upgrades. Before this release, in-place upgrades were one of the most unreliable and scary things a user could attempt, and it was so bad very few Windows users ever did try it. With Windows 10, the vast majority of the initial 75 million users did in fact upgrade their PCs. And they did so successfully. That’s the 75 million.

Folks, that is a triumph, no matter what you think of the math. And Windows 10? We’re on course for this thing being the single most successful Windows launch of all time. There is no way to see it otherwise.

Ask a Question