Mature gaming

Chris Pickering

Monkey Island Fanboy
Reaction score
This is something that crops up all too often, usually to the video game industries detriment. The mainstream media seems to still have this idea that this gaming lark is just for kiddies, and the idea of a 'mature' game is something along the lines of Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.

Obviously we all know different, and it got me thinking about the true 'mature' video games out there. Today I've been mostly playing through 'The Dig', a traditional point and clicker from Lucas Arts. Unlike most Lucas Arts point and click adventure titles, this completely strips away the need for the humour that served the Monkey Island series, and Same and Max Hit The Road so well, and replaces it with a truly mature storyline. I dont know if it's the fact that Steven Spielberg was involved (the story is that The Dig was originally conceived as a film, but along the way transformed into a game) but this is exactly what I'd call a mature game.

The upcoming Fahrenheit is somewhat similar, from what the demo shows anyway. A mature storyline, and a new kind of gameplay mechanic.

Anyway, what other examples of true mature gaming can anyone else think of?

Chris Pickering

Monkey Island Fanboy
Reaction score
Since no-one else is contributing, I've thought of a few more games myself.

First of all, Still Life which I reviewed at Gamestyle. Again in the style of a traditional point n click adventure title, but with a very mature setting. It's the only game that I've played that did at one particular point (cant really mention it, it gives a huge part of the story away!) did make me feel a little ill at ease. A terrific story though, very well written.

Second, yet another point n clicker, The Moment Of Silence. Very Blade Runner esque (the Blade Runner game,again a point n clicker remains a huge favorite of mine) with the dark futuristic setting. One of the few games that really draws you into the mindset of the main character.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I must admit I've not heard of those latter games, are they worth looking in to? I like the idea of these "grown up" games, especially if it means its creepy and involves thinking :)

Chris Pickering

Monkey Island Fanboy
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
I must admit I've not heard of those latter games, are they worth looking in to? I like the idea of these "grown up" games, especially if it means its creepy and involves thinking :)

Still Life got a bit of a mixed response really. Some of the puzzles are un-nervingly difficult (the lock picking puzzle, just look on gamefaqs instead of trying to work it out! Took me near 4 hours to finish that up) and pretty much everyone apart from me detests the ending, but its a great game! Personally it's one of my most favorite games of the last few years, and I enjoyed every second. And coming from a quite jaded gamer, that's a hell of a compliment!

Both are only £10 to £15 too. Though obviously you can get them cheaper if your willing to take on second hand copies...

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'll keep an eye out for it in Gamestation then, as they have 2nd hand games for a few quid sometimes (got some real bargains there! :))

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I played Blade Runner, it was quite good but like all point and clickers the constant to and fro-ing between scenes to collect clues can get a little irritating.

Currently near the end of Siberia, I've been playing that on and off for around 6 months now. And after that, I got Siberia 2 to go through. Kinda taxing on the grey matter but satisfying when you finally work things out.

Did anyone here ever play or complete 'The Longest Journey'? I played that for a while but it only runs on Win 98 and I don't have that OS on any machine atm. I quite enjoyed what I played of it.

All of those I've mentioned can be termed adult games, I suppose.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
the only point and click game i ever played was a demo of Grim Fandago, it was really cool.
(shoo! pigeons, its Robert Frost!) and i wish i new where a copy was

Chris Pickering

Monkey Island Fanboy
Reaction score
Finally got a copy of The Longest Journey (which lays unopened due to other commitments though) which I'm hoping to get stuck into this weekend.

A new one anyway, Haunting ground on the PS2. You play the role of simply a terrified teenage girl, being chased by various foes. You dont have any huge weapons to defend yourself with. The beginning especially of being chased by a character who appears such an immense beast of a man, but has the mind of a small child is terrifying. The way this game's gone for me so far has shown some true maturity as to the storyline itself, and the gameplay concept.

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
Would we class the Max Payne games as mature games, caus I like those.

Reaction score
I loved "The Dig" and beneath a steel sky as well.... (you can get b.a.s.s. free along with an emulator from the scumm website) max payne? er.... i suppose so, as it does have an "adult" story.theme (along with maybe hitman & mafia?) I am also spending far more time than I should on America's army :)

Chris Pickering

Monkey Island Fanboy
Reaction score
I'd say Max Payne cant really be considered mature. It's a wonderful game thats for certain, but if likened to a similar style of movie, it wouldnt be anything considered mature of full of depth.

Like I said, it's a fantastic series. I gave the sequel a particulary high score when I reviewed the Xbox version, but it's just trying to be classed as something it's not far too readily. The opening sequence of the first when Max discovers his dead family, and the sequels cover stating it's "film noir love story" just smacks of pure desperation.

Reaction score
nah.. I was thinking about it again, and max payne really does not fit into either "adult" or "mature" but it was still entertaining (at least the bits when you were not "dreaming" anyway) To me an "adult" game would be something like Playboy mansions or the like (the sims for adults?)

as far as mature gaming would go, I still stick to americas army, but only with teams I know who understand what the game is about... and that cheat codes are not part of it :D

Another favourite I dug out again was "mafia" thats a bit of fun now that I have a PC that can run it :) I'm not a huge gamer, (more often than not I would be using Cubase and messing around with music) and I actually hated doom 3 for one reason , and that was the daft fact that you could not hold a gun and a torch at the same time... and then it went.. kill monsters... run down tunnel.... kill monters... run down tunnel.... etc etc....

now.. HL3 was allright up to a point, but again it started getting a bit repetative.. ah well... back to Elite on my trusty BBC Micro... ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Jaguar:

I agree with you about Doom 3.

Mafia was a great game, but I got seriously stuck just over half way through, where he comes off the roof and into the Church, just couldn't get past that bit, so gave up :(

You have HL3? Pray tell me where you got it from? ;)

Reaction score
You have HL3? Pray tell me where you got it from?
Dodgy Dans emporium of fine dodgy games :) yup I meant HL2, :D ah... mafia... do you mean the bit where he has to get out of the church? you need to hide as much as possible in the room, and pick off the guys as they come at you... its a very tough mission, and involves a lot of ducking and hiding, I think I managed it after 10 attempts... :eek:

Ask a Question