Lumbar punctures

Reaction score
I'm sure some folk here will remember me having a lumbar puncture last april....well 9 months later i get a letter to tell me that they had messed up my csf samples and didn't get a decent sample to work with. They also forgot to take some blood serum(?) for comparison purposes. What liitle of they csf sample they did manage to test showed up these things called Oligoclional bands. Apparently theses are only found in patients who suffer with MS...not good at all really. Anyway ont 22nd of feb i have to repeat the lumbar puncture so they can do it properly. Also, i had an MRI scan in late dec 09 and there appears to be some white areas in the front area of me old brain. So they wanna scan me again cos some of the pictures from the scan results were "degraded" and they couldn't say whats going on for sure. Oh, i probably have to pay for all these repeats....There !! Rant over and its off my chest. The health service over in ireland is in s**t. I'm all over the place at the mo.

Reaction score
captain zed said:
I'm sure some folk here will remember me having a lumbar puncture last april....well 9 months later i get a letter to tell me that they had messed up my csf samples and didn't get a decent sample to work with. They also forgot to take some blood serum(?) for comparison purposes. What liitle of they csf sample they did manage to test showed up these things called Oligoclional bands. Apparently theses are only found in patients who suffer with MS...not good at all really. Anyway ont 22nd of feb i have to repeat the lumbar puncture so they can do it properly. Also, i had an MRI scan in late dec 09 and there appears to be some white areas in the front area of me old brain. So they wanna scan me again cos some of the pictures from the scan results were "degraded" and they couldn't say whats going on for sure. Oh, i probably have to pay for all these repeats....There !! Rant over and its off my chest. The health service over in ireland is in s**t. I'm all over the place at the mo.

Sorry I am only comming in half way through this story...Sorry to say and I am sure you probably have done this, but try get more than one opinion..And why are you paying for it??? Where and what happened to the NHS ?????

Reaction score
Dame mate sorry to hear that. I wonder if it was the people that took the samples that had to have the procedure would they be so damn careless storing the results? I doubt it!!

Outrageous

I beleive you aren't allowed to have a local injection to null the pain - Is that true?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that Zed :(, I hope it all goes well this time!

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I'm so sorry to hear about those botched tests Zed, you would think they could get something like that right, wouldn't you! It is also a heck of long time to keep you waiting for a definitive diagnosis, so no wonder you feel "all over the place." :nod:

Sincerely hoping that your next set of tests will be carried out properly and for the results to be favourable. Wishing you all the very best. :)

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
You are a great guy m8, and this sucks big time...All we can do is lend an ear and wish you the best...
Of all the rants i have read , none is more than yours...

Hope everything is sorted quickly m8

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Bad news zed, sorry to hear it.

Seems out of order if you have to pay for tests they've messed up.

I suppose you have little choice though. Annoying.

Anyhoo, apart from financial considerations I hope their diagnosis is a positive one, thinkin' of you.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies folks....next month will be very busy.....and they don't give any injections for the pain, lol.
Also what they never tell you that the procedure scrambles your central nervous system and you get motherload headaches for weeks after. The fallout is actually worse than the procedure.
I'll let ya's know when its all happening. Now the important stuff. Modern Warfare is crazy on the hard level. One bullet and its game over, lol. I actaully had to drop back a difficulty level and am now playing it on regular soldier.
Its also very fast lol.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Good luck with the treatment zed.
nod.gif

Grunts are go :D

Reaction score
Sorry to read of your problems Zed,I really do hope things go well this time. But 9 months for a result, that is bordering on criminal neglect almost. Surely you don`t have to pay for a cock up---can`t you appeal or something?

historian

Reaction score
Hi Historian,
Yes i will be trying to claim the money back.....nothing ventured nowt gained.lol.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Hi there Cap'n, :wave: seeing you are online, just thought I'd wish you well for Monday. Hope everything will go smoothly for you and that the results will be good 'uns :thumb: All the best. :D

Reaction score
Hi Folks......just wnted to say i came home from hospital yesterday evening and am recovering well....the doctor that did it this time was a "dab hand" as they say. He missed the spine on his first attempt which sent shooting pains down my thigh and hip. The second attempt was perfect and i hardly felt a thing. Now its just sore and i have mental headaches but i'm feeling good....now its R n R n PCR lol.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
It's good to hear you're now recovering from the procedure Cap'n, you must be very glad to have got that over with. :thumb:

I hope the after-effects will diminish quickly, so that you can enjoy your R & R.... we've been keeping your usual chair warm ;)

Reaction score
Hi folks....just wanted to ya's know me results from me lumbar puncture and mri's are back and i dont have MS (major relief). I do however have the antibodies for ms which is a real mystery. I also have a condition called Autoimmune where my body thinks its under a constant threat from itself. I still haven't got my head round it all yet. My neuropathy is spreading up to my thighs and i'm losing the feeling in my hands and feet. It was amazing to see a nurse stab me with a big pin and not feel a thing. I also had a load more blood samples and still need more testing because they don't know why i have white spots on my brain. They have confirmed i do actually have a brain, lol.
I also need some brain testing with visual stimulation to measure the delay....still not sure what they meant by that.
All in all it was a good day and my mind is at rest...for now lol.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Hi there Cap'n, it's good to hear that you don't have MS, yay to that:) But so sorry the neuropathy is spreading, that's a real bummer.:( Terry has that problem in just one of his legs and a foot, so I sympathise - it's a bit easy to accidentally injure yourself, isn't it..... or when nurses start brandishing sharp implements and stabbing you with them!! :rolleyes:

I hope they will be able to find some answers to your other problems very soon Zed, in the meantime, we're both wishing you well and sending some "good vibes" in your direction :)

Reaction score
Thanks TC....does Terry know what's causing his neuropathy.....did he hurt his back or neck ?? I'm curious cos they dont know whats causing mine.

Ask a Question