Looking for Keyboard Sensitivity Freeware

No I'm Spartacus

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a utility to allow me to adjust the sensitivity of my
keyboard (running Windows XP). The problem is that sometimes when I
type a word with a capital first letter (for example 'Word'), the
first two letters will appear as capitals (using the same example,
'WOrd'). I figure that the Shift key is just too sensitive or
something, so that when I take my finger off Shift to hit the second
key, it is somehow still registering. The keyboard itself is only new
(it's a Logitech G15), so I don't think it is faulty, but after about
3 months of using it, I'm considering throwing it against the wall and
going back to my old $20 Acer 101 key keyboard that it replaced (the
G15 cost 7 times that), because I'm sick of having to backspace to
correct double capitals all the time!

beenthere

No I'm Spartacus said:
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a utility to allow me to adjust the sensitivity of my
keyboard (running Windows XP). The problem is that sometimes when I
type a word with a capital first letter (for example 'Word'), the
first two letters will appear as capitals (using the same example,
'WOrd'). I figure that the Shift key is just too sensitive or
something, so that when I take my finger off Shift to hit the second
key, it is somehow still registering. The keyboard itself is only new
(it's a Logitech G15), so I don't think it is faulty, but after about
3 months of using it, I'm considering throwing it against the wall and
going back to my old $20 Acer 101 key keyboard that it replaced (the
G15 cost 7 times that), because I'm sick of having to backspace to
correct double capitals all the time!
Control Panel\Keyboard repeat rate might help.

Paul_B

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a utility to allow me to adjust the sensitivity of my
keyboard (running Windows XP). The problem is that sometimes when I
type a word with a capital first letter (for example 'Word'), the
first two letters will appear as capitals (using the same example,
'WOrd'). I figure that the Shift key is just too sensitive or
something, so that when I take my finger off Shift to hit the second
key, it is somehow still registering. The keyboard itself is only new
(it's a Logitech G15), so I don't think it is faulty, but after about
3 months of using it, I'm considering throwing it against the wall and
going back to my old $20 Acer 101 key keyboard that it replaced (the
G15 cost 7 times that), because I'm sick of having to backspace to
correct double capitals all the time!

Word processor software usually has an option to correct double
caps - MS Word and OOo Writer, eg. Beyond that I don't know what
you can do. Finding the right keyboard can be difficult. I
finally got mine after buying a few expensive ones, and it cost
under $30.

p.

No I'm Spartacus

Word processor software usually has an option to correct double
caps - MS Word and OOo Writer, eg. Beyond that I don't know what
you can do. Finding the right keyboard can be difficult. I
finally got mine after buying a few expensive ones, and it cost
under $30.

p.

Yeah, I thought of that - but most of my typing is done in Notepad or
WordPad. I've adjusted the repeat rate in Control Panel, so I will see
how I go, but you're right about the keyboards. This one seems ultra
sensitive, so I may just go back to my old $20 one. I bought the G15
because of the LCD and the macro keys on the side of the keyboard. I
no longer use the LCD, but it would be a shame to have to give up the
macro's that I use for games, just because typing in Windows
applications is a problem... :-(

Paul_B

Yeah, I thought of that - but most of my typing is done in Notepad or
WordPad. I've adjusted the repeat rate in Control Panel, so I will see
how I go, but you're right about the keyboards. This one seems ultra
sensitive, so I may just go back to my old $20 one. I bought the G15
because of the LCD and the macro keys on the side of the keyboard. I
no longer use the LCD, but it would be a shame to have to give up the
macro's that I use for games, just because typing in Windows
applications is a problem... :-(

You might do yourself a double favor and switch from Notepad to a
more advanced text editor. PSPad, for instance, is excellent, and
affords a "sentence-ize" case change, which comes close to what
you're trying to do (though it will change /all/ caps to lower
except for the beginning of sentences. It also afford "Clips",
which I think could be programmed to be more selective, but I am
not sure. And there might be an editor out there that supports
your specific option right in the interface (NoteTab?).

The keyboard I settled on was the MS Natural Multimedia.
Excellent, split, and cheap - a steal, really.

Good luck,
p.

No I'm Spartacus

You might do yourself a double favor and switch from Notepad to a
more advanced text editor. PSPad, for instance, is excellent, and
affords a "sentence-ize" case change, which comes close to what
you're trying to do (though it will change /all/ caps to lower
except for the beginning of sentences. It also afford "Clips",
which I think could be programmed to be more selective, but I am
not sure. And there might be an editor out there that supports
your specific option right in the interface (NoteTab?).

The keyboard I settled on was the MS Natural Multimedia.
Excellent, split, and cheap - a steal, really.

Good luck,
p.

Thanks p. I might take a look and see what is available in the form of
other editors, like the two you mentioned. Sadly, changing the repeat
rate through Windows control panel hasn't really helped much. I still
get double capitals when I type. Stupid keyboard :-(

Al Klein

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a utility to allow me to adjust the sensitivity of my
keyboard (running Windows XP). The problem is that sometimes when I
type a word with a capital first letter (for example 'Word'), the
first two letters will appear as capitals (using the same example,
'WOrd'). I figure that the Shift key is just too sensitive or
something, so that when I take my finger off Shift to hit the second
key, it is somehow still registering. The keyboard itself is only new
(it's a Logitech G15), so I don't think it is faulty, but after about
3 months of using it, I'm considering throwing it against the wall and
going back to my old $20 Acer 101 key keyboard that it replaced (the
G15 cost 7 times that), because I'm sick of having to backspace to
correct double capitals all the time!

This is a known problem to anyone teaching what's called "Keyboarding"
in some schools. The cause has absolutely nothing to do with the
computer - it's known as "pinky lag". Whether you think so or not,
your pinky is coming off the shift key later than you think it is.
(It's been watched and seen many times.) One solution is to sit
higher or place your keyboard lower. The other solution is a course
in touch typing. (BTW, the shift keys don't repeat, so changing the
repeat rate has nothing to do with the problem.)

Susan Bugher

Al said:
This is a known problem to anyone teaching what's called "Keyboarding"
in some schools. The cause has absolutely nothing to do with the
computer - it's known as "pinky lag". Whether you think so or not,
your pinky is coming off the shift key later than you think it is.
(It's been watched and seen many times.) One solution is to sit
higher or place your keyboard lower. The other solution is a course
in touch typing. (BTW, the shift keys don't repeat, so changing the
repeat rate has nothing to do with the problem.)

Keyboarding help is available here:
http://ifaq.wap.org/computers/shiftkeyfaq.html

BTW - "known as"??? Results 1 - 4 of 4 for "pinky lag"

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware