Looking for game recommendations

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Sunday afternoon seems like a good time to ask this - can anyone recommend any good games?

I really like Assasins Creed, and years ago I used to play the Tomb Raider games. Generally speaking I like games where you have something to work out, rather than charge in guns blazing. Half Life 2 was good but terrified me (yes, I'm a wuss).

Ian has been playing Red Dead Redemption recently and that looks quite good, so I might have a go once he's finished.

Can anyone recommend anything you've played recently that sounds similar? It can be either PC or PS3 :)

Ta!

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Well I know that not many seem to even TRY it here, lol, and at the risk of hearing a loud groan sounding through the PCR corridors, and mumblings about "oh nooooo not that again!" ......But, Guild Wars is still a pretty good game - and one doesn't actually have to kill anything, if you go for Monk class.... or Paragon (which is technically a spear-chucker, but they also cast spells, songs, etc., and flap a rather elegant set of wings! :D

Okay.... going back to my cave now. But good luck in your quest Becky, hope you find something you like. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
You could try these two - Lara Croft Guardian Of Light and Mass Effect 2, they're both on Steam and cost £10 & £20 resepctively. And there's a demo available for both so you can try each of them before purchase.

Also worth taking a look at is The Secret Of Monkey Island: Special Edition, also on Steam at £7 but no demo available. Plenty of puzzle solving in that one and Steam has lots of screen shots to give you an idea of the gameplay.

I liked Lara Croft a lot, am still playing Monkey Island but have only briefly played Mass Effect 1, not ME2.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendations!

I've heard of Guild Wars before (is that the one that Muckshifter used to be into?) - I'm not necessarily against killing things, I just... ahem... tend to scream out loud if things lead out at me... much to Ian's amusement :blush:

I've just been reading the review of The Secret of Monkey Island on Gamespot, it does sound like a really good game

If you've got opposable thumbs, a sense of humor, and a brain that you're not afraid to use, this puzzle-filled adventure is one well worth taking

I've not played a Tomb Raider game for years - how do the new ones compare with the classics?

On a complete tangent I've just remembered a game that I used to LOVE - No One Lives Forever 2. It's like James Bond meets Austin Powers - bit of a spy spoof, but brilliant fun :thumb: Anyone ever played it?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Lara Croft Guardian Of Light isn't like the former Tomb Raider games it's a top down view with gameplay similar to Dungeon Siege,Warcraft et al but is actually quite unique. Plenty of puzzle solving and combat, I liked it a lot - try the demo.

I played No One Lives Forever One & Two, finished the first, never did finish the second. I still have them somewhere.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Hi Becky

Have you tried any of the Broken sword games, I think they maybe what you are looking for as they are not to violent in there nature and are very challenging in the puzzling stakes but aren't stupidly difficult..
I have had many a good hour playing!

Heres the Wiki link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_Sword

Can be bought on Steam too at a very reasonable price http://store.steampowered.com/app/57640/?snr=1_4_4__13

They also do a triplepack for £9.99 http://store.steampowered.com/sub/6447/

Broken sword 5 is due out end 2011/12

System specs

• Processor: Pentium
    • Memory: 64 Mb
    • Hard Disk Space: 1.5 GB
    • Video Card: Any video card with 64 Mb video RAM
    • Sound: Any sound card
Easy on the laptop too with minimal overhead..

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Amnesia the Dark Decent will be right up your street................ ;)

Just kidding, dont play it, It will will scare the crap out of you!! :p

Seriously, have you thought about something like Portal 2? Thats a thinking game that looks like an FPS. :)

Reaction score
Hi Becky,

The PS3's Drake's fortune 1 and 2 are very like the Tombraiders. I thought they were really good.
I can't remember any more at the moment but will get back to you.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I did think of mentioning Dead Space 1 & 2 but both of them give me some bowel-loosening moments, lol

I thought of mentioning Portal 2 as well but as I didn't like Portal 1 and have no idea what Portal 2 is like, felt unqualified to comment.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
IMO, Portal two is way better than the first. :)

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Thanks for all the recommendations!! :D

Guardian of Light demo is currently downloading, so I'll give it a go this afternoon. Portal 2 looks brilliant, although parts of the trailer I watched did give me motion sickness a bit (not as bad as the time I tried to watch Cloverfield though). I'm sure it'll be fine though - it looks really good :thumb:

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Finished the Guardian of Light demo last night - I'll be getting that one :D

Oddly it only seems to be available for the PS3 in download rather than hard copy. At least it means I don't need to wait for it to arrive through the post I guess!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Lara Croft GOL is only available by download in any format, which probably helps keep the price down.

Glad you like it, I enjoyed that one a lot. The very last bit is very hard, I thought.

Ask a Question