Linux Mint 8 "Helena"

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Just downloaded the latest version of Linux Mint 8 "Helena" and after burning the iso will give it a spin.

Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala is giving me slight problems with connectivity so hoping this variant may be slightly stable. Mint 7 "Gloria" was extremely stable and had no issues whatsoever in my system.

Will be back with the feedback
nod.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Have been waiting for this, prefer Mint to Unbuntu, even though it's based on Ubuntu, so will definitely try this during the week.

Expect the usual mundane lamebrain questions.... :D

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Have been waiting for this, prefer Mint to Unbuntu, even though it's based on Ubuntu, so will definitely try this during the week.

Expect the usual mundane lamebrain questions.... :D

It is looking much better than Ubuntu 9.10. The desktop looks way better than before, I like it :D

I am still checking out various things and have updated the system (96 updates) and installed a few favourite applications. I also notice mint is a wee bit faster than Ubuntu.

Here is a screenshot

Attachments

• Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 1,458
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
That link just timing out for me :(

Strange my download has just crashed and now the page is timing out on me to..The link is a direct link to Linuxmint.com.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
The server is grossly overloaded that is why you guy's are having problems. Try it a little while later. The word has got out that this version is just superb and works out of the box without any issues. My connectivity issue seems to be fixed with this version.:thumb:

Strange as it may seem as Mint is a derivative of Ubuntu. Beats me:confused:

I would not be surprised if Mint takes over to be the most popular distro.
nod.gif

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Just checked and the link is working fine so you guys may go ahead and download it when you are up tomorrow morning and having your royal breakfast:D

Reaction score
Got it downloaded last night. I'm going to install on Virtual Box some time today and have a look..

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I can connect now but the download speed is rubbish, about 30kb/s. At that speed it will take over 6 hours so I'll either d/l overnight or leave it a few days.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Goddit.

MD5 sum checks out too.

Now to burn the disk.

I got the main edition btw, 688 Mb, I note the Universal Edition is 1Gb yet comes without lots of commercial software and media codecs that the main edition has.

I'm assuming all that extra data on the Universal edition is different language packs then?

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Goddit.

MD5 sum checks out too.

Now to burn the disk.

I got the main edition btw, 688 Mb, I note the Universal Edition is 1Gb yet comes without lots of commercial software and media codecs that the main edition has.

I'm assuming all that extra data on the Universal edition is different language packs then?

Yes you just need the main edition. The download is exactly 688.1MB to burn.

Flops, looking forward to your feedback.

By the way, the connectivity issue that I was having is resolved with Mint :thumb:

Make sure you install the updates immediately after you install it before doing anything. Also install K3B which is an excellent program for burning in Linux I use it always and will stick to it. There is an anti-virus also which has gui interface called ClamAV which is also very good. Just thought I'd chime in on some software.

If you need any assistance let me know.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
First impressions, still have a ton of things to try out and/or find but here goes.

It's good, possibly best distro I've tried so far.

I'm using it now, using Firefox, on this system:

AMD Black Edition 3.2Ghz dual core CPU; Asus M2n-Sli motherboard; 2Gb Corsair 8400 memory; Nvidia 8800GTS 640Mb grafix card; Creative X-Fi Audio Sound card feeding Pioneer A400 amplifier and stereo speakers.

Sound worked straight off.
Internet connection (Linksys wireless router but hard wired, on board LAN, ADSL connection to Zen ISP) worked straight off.
Downloaded PDF user manual.
Downloaded the latest Linux Nvidia driver, V185, which installed automatically. Needed to reboot after that. This enables 3D applications to be able to run, including games.
Downloaded and installed all updates, all 98 of them. This took about 5 minutes.
The printer - an HP Photosmart 7960 about five years old - recognised automaticaaly, printed a test page.
Audio CD playback ok.
DVD playback of 'Backup' movies ok, commercially produced DVD's - I tried Led Zeppelin's 'The Song Remains The Same' - won't play back audio, only pictures.
Gimp comes installed, I installed Picasso from the repository as well.
Browsing the Admin section, it's seeing all my hardware correctly and also giving me lots of detailed information about that hardware.
Screen res was set automatically to 1680 x 1050.

Two questions;

How do I enable sound for commercial DVD movies? I am guessing this is a legal thing where something has to be installed independently to enable sound, but could be wrong.

Where the hell can I disable the screen saver? :D I can't find it.

Upcoming tasks:

Open MS Office 2003 Word & Excel documents
Configure Thunderbird for e-mail
Check out any audio editing facilities, if not try and install audacity and mp3 lame codec
Check out any audio and video file conversion facilities.
Check out any video editing facilities
Check out picture download from Canon G9 camera.

And that's about it for now.

So far, I'm cautiously thinking this could be a serious contender as an alternative to Windows (excepting gaming), but early days yet.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Well this is odd, I've just tried six more commercial DVD's and they all play back perfectly with audio.

But for some reason Led Zep's 'Song' won't play back with audio, both the main and the 'Extras' disk :confused:

Another thing I have to check out is disk burning, I understand there's built in software for this but have yet to take a look at it.

All in all though, this is looking to be one very easy to use distro. Just wait until I try and install UT2004 though :D

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Quad gave you the nod but in your excitement you missed it,

K3b for disc burning, you probably have to install it as I don't think it is included.

Mebees the builders of Mint hate Led Zep so put a stopper in the os
laughingsmiley.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
In my excitement? Lol, I ain't excited, just mildly pleased.

I think Thunderbird is a bit crap.

I have 3 e-mail accounts, with my ISP, Zen; With PC Review and with G-Mail.

I have setup up the Zen and PC Review accounts ok but can't for the life of me setup the gmail account.

There doesn't seem to be the facility to add the outgoing server address within Thunderbird's account wizard.

Also, the outgoing user name is stuck on the Zen account name, can't see how to change it for each e-mail account.

G-Mail has some different settings to most e-mail accounts, the server port numbers being one, and I can't see how to set those within Thunderbird.

As I said, so far I think Thunderbird is more like a limp sparrow, a bit crap.

My first real disapointment.

Still, it's getting a little late in the evening to be doing this stuff and I have consumed several tinnies of the dark fluid :D

Enough for now, so far 8 out of 10.

Oh, one last thing, I have a 'Dazzle' video and audio interface for capturing video connected to this machine, within Windows I use Pinnacle to capture the video from it, it's connected via a USB port and I switch between a DVD player and VCR with it.

I very much doubt if I'll be able to use that within Linux Mint.

Which will make it the first real disadvatage so far I expect.

Anyhoo, tired, mildly intoxicated, time to play some CoD4 online and insult a few obnoxious teens, lol

Ask a Question