And may the force be with you :D

Attachments

• 11111111111111.jpg
    11111111111111.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 286

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Well there's a coincidence, I fired up Mint 8 today and applied 112 updates. I wonder if any of the tweaks and updates added to the distro were installed?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Well there's a coincidence, I fired up Mint 8 today and applied 112 updates. I wonder if any of the tweaks and updates added to the distro were installed?

No idea just posted the link as I knew a few of you played with Mint. :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
It appears likely then that to take advantage of the improved Mint 8, we have to download iso (bandwidth) burn disc (blank disk) and then format/install (file backup).

Hmm, is it worth it? Probably not.

Which raises a question.

What happens each time a distro is upgraded, do we have to reload the whole thing? Back up all data, saved games, whatever? Because Linux sure as hell upgrades a whole lot more than Windows and unless you really have some rather superior grey matter pulsing away anyeurism-free between your ears, this could prove problematic.

Ok, Windows is constantly upgrading, but you don't have to do a complete reinstall, which seems to be the case with Linux.

Or have I got this wrong?

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Reinstalling is not required in Linux, the upgrade to a new version is automatic and pops up after the stable release, I have seen it in Mint so yes only that portion you got wrong. But that is part of learning and we all do that day after day :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Quadophile said:
Reinstalling is not required in Linux, the upgrade to a new version is automatic and pops up after the stable release, I have seen it in Mint so yes only that portion you got wrong. But that is part of learning and we all do that day after day :)

Thanks for that Mr Quad, I had often wondered.

So, if I install one version of Mint, say, and keep installing upgrades, kernel and apps will auto-upgrade?

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
It should as I had kernal upgrade a few times when using Ubuntu in the past and it required a reboot. So far in Mint that has not happened. so will wait and see. Normal updates don't even require one to reboot.

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Uh... goes something like this: Mint - applies for Ubuntu and Mandriva as well - is NOT a rolling release. Now... what the heck is a "rolling release"?

Gentoo Linux and Arch Linux are examples of true rolling releases. Install media is simply a snapshot of the distribution at the time of the release. Software contained in the repositories is more current than what is contained on the install media and often very recent releases.

Other Linux distributions may maintain a development branch in between releases. These development branches may resemble a rolling release because software in such a branch is continually updated. However, unlike a rolling release, these branches are intended to be the next release, and will be frozen and tested prior to such a release. Mandriva Cooker, openSUSE Factory, Fedora Rawhide, and Debian's testing and unstable branches are examples of this type of development. Running these development branches in a production environment can cause instability and other problems and is not well supported.

sidux is a rolling release Linux distribution based on Debian's unstable development branch (sid). Besides of Debian's unstable repositories sidux uses its own package repositories and tools to help avoid potential breakage otherwise more common when using Debian unstable.

Non-examples: Windows, Mac OS, OpenBSD, and most Linux distributions (including Debian [Linux] "stable") are not rolling releases, because they have significant changes between version numbers (a complete operating system reinstall, or at least a major upgrade, is required). This also results in significant development effort being spent on keeping old versions up to date due to propagating bug fixes back to the newest branch, as opposed to focusing more on the newest development branch.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_release

Fine. Now... what does that mean in practise? It means that whenever there is a "version upgrade" - Mint 7 --> Mint 8, for example - you will have to do more than "just" update your system.

Repositories are "tied" to the version of - in your case - Mint you're currently using. Most of the updates you're receiving are "only" security/bug fixes.

Above is the timeline of the upcoming version of Ubuntu. [Click on the thumbnail.] Pay attention to "the three freezes". They determine the "version familes" used for kernel, desktop environments and other software included in install media (and default repositories). As a user you're "stuck" with these versions as long as you're "only" installing/updating software "from" default repositories.

The ways to do a "distribution upgrade", then? A reinstall, obviously. Rather painless, actually, IF you have a separate /home partition. All your "user stuff" will survive the reinstall.

Another way is to let the Update Manager do it... done this way, even if you don't have a separate /home partition, you won't lose your "user stuff".

jauntyupdatemanager.png

"Your system is up-to-date." Means your VW Beetle is serviced/maintained to the hilt. "New distribution version is available." Means there is a VW Golf available... just click "upgrade".

Clear as mud?
happywave.gif

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Don't know about upgrading Mint but I did do a upgrade from 2009 to 2010 on me Mandy pc as I detailed in a previous post. After the up grade everything seemed to work ok and I ran with it for a week or so. Didn't have to change repositories or fiddle with anything just a couple of clicks and I was upgraded.

"The answer is you can do an insitu upgrade.

Clicked on the box telling me that a version upgrade was available and two clicks later the upgrade was in progress. After a few minutes of watching I got bored and took time out to play a few anamie episodes of Samurai 7 all played faultlessly whilst the upgrade was proceeding.
Time for bed arrived so I left the upgrade running. On waking in the morning the upgrade was finished and I had a new sparkling version of Mandriva. Easy Peasy.
biggrin.gif
"

Mind you as I explained in the previous post, I was heavily involved with some very complex development of certain features on the 2009 install which radically altered the look feel and performance of certain essential aspects of the entire os giving me a individually personalised install. As I wished to write a walkthrough of the new 2010 for newbies I sacrificed my intensely complex developments for the greater good and did a full clean install of 2010.
Or you could say,
I had fiddled and tweaked and poked around so much with the 2009 that it was only just usable as an os and I was forced into doing a fresh install
laughingsmiley.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Urmas said:
The ways to do a "distribution upgrade", then? A reinstall, obviously. Rather painless, actually, IF you have a separate /home partition. All your "user stuff" will survive the reinstall.

Another way is to let the Update Manager do it... done this way, even if you don't have a separate /home partition, you won't lose your "user stuff".

So I was correct then?

I didn't know about the upgrade option though, it certainly hasn't been offered to me so I presume I'll have to look for it.

There's five hard disks in this machine so no probs saving data.

I have been making efforts to see how I'd cope if all I had was Linux (or more specifically Mint) and have been pleasantly surprised at some things and disappointed with others.

The biggest failing for me so far is there doesn't seem to be a substitute for Microsoft's Publisher software which I use a lot. If anybody here knows of a program, please give me the nod.

With Publisher you basically create boxes and add other boxes, mostly text and graphics, to make covers for DVD's, CD's and the like, make magazines, etc. I've been using it for 14 years now.

I burnt my first three CD's from mp3's using Brasero :thumb: Pretty basic though not nearly as many options as within Nero and yes, I do use those options. One example being the ability whether to leave a gap between individual tracks. Correct me if I'm wrong but I couldn't find that.

I then attempted to make covers for the CD using the cover creator within Brasero and it's awful. The text kept disappearing, it seemed to have a mind of it's own. I couldn't create boxes or insert symbols. I could shade with colours though.

That was the spine. When I did work it out and print it it's about 0.5cm too wide for the CD case - useless.

I managed to insert a picture for the front cover but it only has the ability to print one side. Within Publisher I have created templates, one of which allows me to create and print a double sided CD front, basically 2 boxes stuck together which I then fold in half.

Mint is seeing my HP inkjet Photosmart 7900 printer ok, all the properties and adjustments are available and it's working well. Which is more than Win 7 does with it, gotta say.

I have opened documents from Microsoft Word and Excel 2003 and 2007 ok with Open Office and even managed to find where to make adjustments, like changing paper size.

I still haven't configured my Google e-mail account, but that's sheer laziness on my part.

So, my biggest disappointment so far is no Publisher program.

If there is one then I'm dead nervous about having to install it cos in the past that's where I've usually messed things up.

So there we go, honest highs and lows, I'm typing this within Mint, the summary would be: Mostly good but lacking in certain areas.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Scribus.
nod.gif

"Scribus Basics

Why Page Layout is different from Word Processing

What can you do with Scribus ? What is a "page layout" program ?

Fundamentally, Scribus is not a word processor. This is a very important concept to understand. Scribus belongs to the family of applications known as page layout programs or more commonly known as Desktop Publishing programs. Scribus gives users great flexibility in placing objects like photos, logos, text frames and shapes in the exact place where you want them. This short guide is meant to give a first time user a sense of what Scribus can do. It is not meant to cover every feature, just a simple over view to get you started and being productive.

With Scribus you can:

• Create great looking documents including things like CD covers, greeting cards, company brochures, newsletters and posters.
  • Create files which will print easily at your commercial printer.
  • Create interactive PDF forms and presentation documents. What is interactive PDF? Interactive PDFs have special features like hyperlinks, annotations (non-printing notes), bookmarks – a kind of an automatically created index for your PDF, as well as special navigation features – just like a web browser.
  • Create logos and drawings with Scribus' easy to use tools including the ability to create neat font effects.
  • Import photos and other artwork with precise color control for high fidelity printing."
http://www.scribus.net/?q=image/tid/26

http://www.scribus.net/?q=node/186

It is well worth looking at the link " brochure" from the above link as it shows what can be done with Scribus.

http://docs.scribus.net/index.php?lang=en&page=intro

Above link a sort of on-line manual.

I use K3b for burning and it is excellent.
nod.gif

http://k3b.plainblack.com/support/k3b-0.12-new-features

This explains how to put silences between tracks in K3b. ;) Might be a bit technical for you garden gnomes though.
laughingsmiley.gif

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Is k3b in Mint's repository?

I've just been to the Scribus site and frankly I haven't the first clue what to do :)

I figured I'd download the installation instructions and clicked on one of two links given to suit Ubuntu 9.10. I'm offered a choice of about 10 files - so which one? Some of these files, however, I'm not allowed to access.

It seems another one is a bin file and it wants me to choose software to open - I dunno.

I can't see where the bloody download is either for Scribus.

Soddit.

I may go back and try and figure it out later when I've stopped frowning.

It's not easy is it?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I have now installed k3b from the packages manager.

That was painless.

I have eaten my spaghetti and meatballs and am therefore ready to go to the mattresses but more importantly I'm chilled.

Let's have a look at this Scribus thing again.

And I consulted my book 'An easy guide to Linux' and noted that a bin file is simply a folder that contains an executable. I see. I knew that, honest I did. But since when was a help file an executable? Unless it's a pdf file I suppose. Confusing.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Well that was a piece of cake :)

After going round in circles at the Scribus site and not being able to find a download link I noticed a link to Sourceforge where 'some Scribus files were hosted'. There was a link there for a tarball that seemed common to all OS's - 23.5Mb - so I downloaded that.

When I opened the tar file it was automatically unzipped to the packages manager.

And from there I installed it.

No console commands, nothing, twas all automatic. My version is 1.3.3.3 and I think there's a V1.3.3.5 available but this will do for now.

I've had a quick look at it and it is very similar to Publisher :thumb:

I also noted somewhere on the Scribus site that Sourceforge host templates for their product so I'm going to have a look for those now.

And after that I think I'm going to play a little Fallout 3.

In Windows :D

Thank you o barbarious one, I think this is going to do the trick.

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Floppingu,

Scribus is in repos as well.
happywave.gif

(For future reference.)

Last edited:

Ask a Question