Excel Linking (I think)

Reaction score
Is it possible to link a cell to another spreadsheet so that the formatting and comments are linked too.....as it does with copy & paste?

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I think you can do it via Paste Special... Copy the cell you want to link, then right click on the destination cell and go to Paste Special, then choose the 'Linked Picture' option (the icon looks like a clipboard with a chain link and a photo).

Reaction score
May thanks!!

I see what you mean....it displays the copied cell as a picture....so it shows the formatting and it shows there is a comment, but it cannot be accessed as on the original workbook. I want to be able to read the comment in the usual way and manipulate the data further.

Also so a large amount of data the picture is distorted....

Basically I need to link one workbook to another and show the comments and formats. If I copy and paste data it shows all the formats and comments in another workbook but it doesn't update with the original.

I need to achieve the same outcome as copy & paste with the result that it updates in the new workbook

Last edited:

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Ah... in that case I'm not sure! I'll have a play around today and see if I can come up with something ;)

Reaction score
OK thanks. I don't think it can be done....but I have a piece of VBA that will show comments in cells on the linked workbook. From that I have been able to use the comments for formatting etc....

Function showComment(cell As Range) As String
' Cause an empty cell to appear instead of an error.
On Error Resume Next
' Outputs the comment from the selected cell, if it exists.
showComment = cell.Comment.Text
End Function

Reaction score
Is it possible to link a cell to another spreadsheet so that the formatting and comments are linked too.....as it does with copy & paste?
That's Interesting Challange!
If you please let me have your two sheets...
I could do this without your sheets...just to make my job simple I love to see your sheets first.

Reaction score
I actually mean two separate workbooks.....I want one workbook to be an exact copy of the other......

My main issue is I can link the data but not the formats and comments as they appear on the original workbook.

Reaction score
There can be a number of ways to achieve this....

1) On Click Event (i.e when a cell is clicked) it goes to the specified workbook linked address and copies the format....

2) Create a Customized toolbar ...which remains available on top row of the screen (such as Quick Access Toolbar) clicking on a specified button it goes to the specified workbook linked address and copies the format....

3) Setting up a Hot Key like Ctrl+J

4) Setting up A user-form in VBA

Reaction score
Look, he talked about linking and so he was clearly referring to an Excel worksheet function and there is None that makes that.

Reaction score
Neither the "Excel "is limitted to what people generally percieve nor the "linking" is just limitted the way people generally link cells and ranges within worksheets & workbooks..

VBA is integral functionality very much within excel and offers scalability .... I love to claim that whatever you think in logical boundaries ....excel can do it for you !

i saw excel automaically logging on to SAP Server using my credentials on my behalf in my absence...uploading data....processing the reports .....downloading the reports....then signing onto my mailbox .....composing emails....and sending attachments to users....and i recieved cc while i was at home.....i am not exeggerating...believe me all that fun is there very much within excel.

Reaction score
Yes, Excel can, but he probably can't and he was looking for a solution that he can use and not one that you can use...

Reaction score
Yes, He can, as he has already mentioned he is already half way through....

The following thing which he mentioned encouraged me to encourage him...

Function showComment(cell As Range) As String
' Cause an empty cell to appear instead of an error.
On Error Resume Next
' Outputs the comment from the selected cell, if it exists.
showComment = cell.Comment.Text
End Function

Ask a Question