Excel Columns moving up and down on their own in a worksheet. What Goes?

Reaction score
Columns moving up and down on their own in a worksheet. What Goes?

Dear fellow members, HELP!

I am brand new here and I hope that I can find somebody who might help me with a mighty problem happening to me while working a worksheet in a spreadsheet.

1.- Some (not all) Columns have a tendency to move its cells one space up or down, usually they are the leftmost Column and the rightmost column. It produces a very awkward situation with the whole page.

2.- The formatting procedure in the cells have the tendency to change, especially line thickness around a cell and also sometimes the cell’s color.

I am basically trying to find somebody who might know mostly the quirks and sometimes unexplainable vagaries that this application has begun showing when you are using it. My main question and interest is in trying to find out why in the last couple of months, in excel, a few of the worksheets in one of my files have begun moving and displacing individual columns and cell formats throughout the pages of my work in the vertical. It is for me a wonder, since in all the years I have been working on this application I have never encountered such a phenomenon. Since your work in life, I presume, has mainly used excel as a tool for your control, I am firing this shot in the dark in my desperation to find a solution to my present problem.

I must add that this particular worksheet has been copied from older worksheets of past years and past versions of Excel. In my case this is a worksheet with 5 sheets and it is doing this quirk only on the first sheet page. The first sheet is the largest one with 18 columns being used and about 1600 rows, between 750 MB up to 1.1 Gigabytes. (Depending on the spreadsheet’s year in which it was created)

I have been using Excel's forerunner since 1984 in the early PCs by IBM, and then using excel in each one of the iterations that Microsoft brought out to the market from then on, and I never, but never before encountered a page that moves columns in the vertical, and modifies the nature of the formatting values of the cells in each page, with no explainable reason for it to do so. Weird!

So, if by any chance you might be able to come up with an idea for this to happen, or know someone who might be able to have an inkling of why this could be happening, I will be very grateful to you.

Thank you

Boris

PS. I shall include a small .xlsx sample where this is happening.

Attachments

• Sample Worksheet Excel 2022 0120.jpg
    Sample Worksheet Excel 2022 0120.jpg
    307 KB · Views: 38
Reaction score
A bit stumped to be honest as I cannot see how this would happen, and without a sample is difficult to replicate.

Meanwhile, change is difficult specially GUI, but have you thought about giving Libreoffice or Google Docs a try?

Reaction score
Thank you for your commentary.
I agree with you as to the fact that the sample I sent, without a full file present, would be hard to replicate through this method, but it is the only one available to me. That is why I sent the Sample Worksheet 2022 as I did.
I am also bewildered by this occurrence in one of my excel files, since I have been working on spreadsheets since 1984 with the precursor of all these applications like Excel, when VisiCalc came to market, and I never came upon this effect on a spreadsheet before. I do not consider myself very knowledgeable on the use of excel, since I have used it mostly for my very own private use and in a very superficial depth of at that.
But the fact that this happened and still happens in this particular file, is a reality and it has also got me stumped. Mind you, it has not expanded to all the rest of my other files and workbooks in Excel, but in this one it is still doing it. The only way this file can transfer this effect is when I create a new file by changing the name of the file into another one, and the error still continues active.
I also still have the inconsistency of the formatting problems with the cells. I sometimes encounter this when I need to play with the formatting of the line thickness of the cells, and how sometimes when I work in one of them, the quality of the formatting is extended to the next cell to its side. Also, quite a few times when I fill a cell with a graphic symbol or picture in one cell ( as when I use a logo of a brand inside a cell) the cell will sometimes do strange things. All a bit bewildering to me since I had never encountered such behavior on an Excel spreadsheet.
As to your kind suggestion of trying to emulate this effect in a LibreOffice or in Google Docs, it did fleetingly pass through my mind when I came across it in the early stages of this occurrence but I became so engrossed in trying to solve it within the Excel application that I did not find time to spend in such alternatives. I am seriously considering doing so, just to see if the phenomenon repeats itself across platforms.
I have had some friends transit across the possibility of having encountered (maybe) a phenomenon of weird behavior happening when one carries on one spreadsheet from some of the early versions of Excel up the most recent one I am using: Office 365. It could be that absorbing so many changes in versions, something got caught in this file and it went bonkers. Maybe...
Regardless, I want to thank you for your kind interest in my problem, and if by chance you may encounter this behavior again, please give me a shoutout to say what is going on. I am still curious.
Boris

Ask a Question