Lookups - how to obtain data from a master spreadsheet into another

Reaction score
Hi

I have a large spreadsheet that will be used as the master copy that refreshes the data obtained from a system. I need to be able to extract this information into another spreadsheet and for this to continue to update as the information in the master spreadsheet is refreshed.

I think I need to use Lookups but have researched this but can't seem to make it work.

I have attached a dummy example if this helps but any advice will be appreciated. Currently, refreshing the data from a spreadsheet that has been modified (as per sheet 2) but this is causing too many problems as need to add traffic light system/conditioning format, so better to refresh the data on the master and look up this info up into the second sheet.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Just to confirm my understanding, you have a master spreadsheet that you input data into, and you want to extract data from the master spreadsheet into a secondary spreadsheet... is that right? Also, so that I understand which part you want help with, does the formula work but doesn't refresh in the way you want, or does the formula not work?

The forum software doesn't allow large attachments unfortunately, but you can take screenshots if that helps. Images should be fine, assuming they're not too large. Also if the spreadsheet contains personal or confidential information please make sure you redact as necessary before posting screenshots.

Reaction score
Yes you are correct - the master spreadsheet gets updated with data and I want to select data from this spreadsheet into a secondary spreadsheet. I am not sure how to write the formula. Screen shots attached.

I have lacked out some info for confidentiality reasons. I also will need to compare these spreadsheets month on month and present the differences but think that will need to be a different thread. Not sure if lookups can be used for this as well or whether I will need to use add in software

Attachments

• Master spreadsheet.JPG
    Master spreadsheet.JPG
    168.1 KB · Views: 291
  • second spreadsheet.JPG
    second spreadsheet.JPG
    193.2 KB · Views: 221

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Ok, thanks for the screenshots. Could you give me an example of something that isn't working, including the formula you're using?

Reaction score
Yes you are correct - the master spreadsheet gets updated with data and I want to select data from this spreadsheet into a secondary spreadsheet. I am not sure how to write the formula. Screen shots attached.

I have lacked out some info for confidentiality reasons. I also will need to compare these spreadsheets month on month and present the differences but think that will need to be a different thread. Not sure if lookups can be used for this as well or whether I will need to use add in software
I can help you...but I would need to have your sample files in excel format and close interaction with you.

Ask a Question