LCD Monitors

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Has anyone had any experiences of one, or even better have one!?

I've got a 15" one and I'm loving it, but I would like to know any tips or tricks people have found out :D

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Yes I used a Samsung 150 M(B) for about 2 weeks and played with its controls and settings. It was meant for a friend for whom I build the rig from scratch.

I must say it is very easy on the eyes compared to the CRT but was not very pleased with animation part of it. Sort of blurry so to say. Everything is great as long as the image is static. I use the IBM Laptop which has a 14.1" screen and has a DVD player. I never like to see it on the machine, it just does not feel right.

The LCD is excellent for office use where you tend to use application software which is basically static. The Pivot feature was very handy and for A4 size documents you really do not need to scroll as you can read the entire page in one go.

The other thing I noticed was that the 15 inch version looks bigger in comparision to its CRT cousin, maybe an illusion but it is there. The text is awesome, this is THE most useful feature of the LCD screen.

I will be getting one soon for my own use in the office.

Reaction score
15" ACER FP 553 LCD

Hi there,

I've built a few PCs using the 15" 'ACER FP 553 LCD' , which is a pretty good 'all-arounder'. I only build multimedia machines, and this LCD handles 3D graphics wonderfully.

Although, most LCDs need to be set up correctly with your graphics card, or you will experience 'fuzziness', especially with a moving image.

The Refresh Rate is the main point to look at, i found setting the 'ACER FP 553 LCD' to a refresh rate of 75Hz (surprisingly) worked perfectly (with a GeForce2 MX400), although it differs with other cards.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi PC_God, welcome to the forums :D

I too have my LCD running at 75 hz, and I was also impressed by how well it can run things.... 3DMark 2001 has no visable blurring when running through its fast-paced tests :)

Much nicer than my 15kg CRT ;)

Reaction score
Hi

Can't praise my Iiyama 4315 17" screen highly enough. I was really worried about 'lag' in games but if it's there, I can't see it. Pin sharp (I'm using DVI input, tho' it comes with both), rock steady, beautiful on the eye both aesthetically and in terms of display quality. A total yum yum - I'm completely in love with it (sad person!!) :))

Caroline

Reaction score
LCD Dreams

Took the plunge a few weeks ago and got a 17" LG Flatron LCD to replace my 19" CRT and like most people seem to think here the best move i ever made. Use it mainly for games and no noticeable blur at all but am also using DVI input so this probably helps. Not thye most attractive case in the world but a great price so who cares

General Panic :D

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Anything new in the world of LCD? I am about to place an order for a 15" LCD for use in the office machine. Anyone fancy any new models that I could probably look at? I did some survey and I liked the Philips model P3A which offers just about anything that I need for use in the office.

Reaction score
Philips LCD

Hi

Has anyone used the PHILIPS 150P3A 15" LCD monitor?

I am seriuosly considering replaceing my bulky CRT with a LCD flat monitor and I've read some good reviews of the Philips screen.

However theres no substitute for hearing from people who have actually used it.

Thanks

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Re: Philips LCD

Originally posted by davamac
Hi

Has anyone used the PHILIPS 150P3A 15" LCD monitor?

I am seriuosly considering replaceing my bulky CRT with a LCD flat monitor and I've read some good reviews of the Philips screen.

However theres no substitute for hearing from people who have actually used it.

Thanks

Yes I have been using it since about a month, however my original order for the Matrox G550 was delayed and finally it is arriving tomorrow. At present I am using the makeshift VGA card (Asus V7100/64 MB) provided by my vendor on loan till I get the Matrox. 150P3A/C has the DVI input the Matrox also has that facility, I would actually be evaluating the monitor after I install the Matrox card. As it is I think it is a good value for money monitor which is ideal for my office use where it is installed.

I did check the the other aspects of the monitor and I would say that the performance of this monitor may not be at par with the CRT monitor when it comes to animation but for text it is far superior, I am not sure what you will be using it for, if it is for static images go ahead, if not you should stick to the good ole CRT or buy some exotic and expensive kind of LCD out there.

If you are interested to know results of my final evaluation do let me know so that I can come back to this very thread. If you need to know anything specific, do mention it in your post.

Good Luck!

Reaction score
Philips LCD

Hi

Yes, I'd be very interested in the results of your test with the Philips 150p3a and the matrox card.

I am a bit of a gamer and really want to know how it performs with games like Quake or UT.

Thanks

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I do not play games in the office but I did have the 3DMark2000 as well as 3DMark2001SE, I did a demo of both on the Philips LCD after installing the Matrox Card. The result were good although not at par with my CRT monitor at home, for an LCD I do not have any problems recommending.

Once cavet though, the Pivot software bundled with the monitor is sort of buggy and did give me slight problems, I downloaded the latest version (7.0) from the software site but it did not function correctly so had to uninstall it. I reinstalled the one which came with the monitor which was version 6.1. After few hiccups it is now working fine.

I have yet to check the monitor with DVI interface since I did not realise that the DVI cable is optional and is not supplied with the monitor, I will get the cable and come back to this thread and report about the monitors performance with DVI interface.

to continue........

Ask a Question