Laptop recommendations?

Reaction score
Hi

I've been looking around to buy a new laptop for a while now, but never seem to find anything that matches exactly what i'm after. I wonder if any of you guys could offer some advice...

I'm looking for a good general purpose laptop, though I'll probably spend most of my time using it for development. I'm really not fussed about gaming. However, I'm pretty keen on it having s-video as i have a lot of video I'd like to be able to watch on my TV without the hassle of burning to dvd.

It needs to be pretty portable, so I don't want to have to hulk around some 17inch 4kg behemoth; i'm thinking 14 inch widescreen will do me just fine.

Oh, and I also want to dual boot with linux, and I can do without spending all my free time getting some annoying bit of hardware to work.

So, not much to ask for ;)

A big problem I'm finding is that most laptops with tv-out seem to be installed with Windows Media Centre, which I'd like to avoid. Yeah, I could always buy XP Pro in addition to the laptop, but i really don't want to pay twice for Windows.

Budget £1000 - £1500.

Any help much appreciated.

Phil.

Reaction score
Try www.rockdirect.com good sturdy laptops & seem to be made well, either that or Dell. Sometimes worth phoning Dell up if you dont see the exact thing you want re specs of machine.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Take a look at the IBM line of Laptops they are built like tanks and have superb support. I have been using IBM Laptops for sometime now and I think they are the best investment. The T series are top of the line and next is the Z series of Laptops. I am currently using the T43 which is as good as any. IBM Laptops are in your budget as well.

Reaction score
I really like the look of the ROCKDirect laptops!!!

Look quite well priced in my opinion.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Hi, my Rock QuaddraXT (XP Pro, 60 Gb HD 512 MB RAM) is just reaching it's 3rd birthday this month, it's very reliable, but a bit weighty. It's used as a main PC here, so is mostly on mains power, although I'm able to get about 2 hrs battery life on average. Being a "desktop replacement" it does tend to get a bit hot during use (great for chilly fingers in the winter) but from what I've read, this seems to be a common thing. The fan is not the quietest, but I've become used to that :user: Good luck in your quest.

Ask a Question