    email response not expected but to respond remove .uk at end
    TIA
    Hank

    Hank, Jul 5, 2009

  2. Hank

    Gerry Guest

    Hank

    Select Start, Help and Support, Keep your Windows up- to-date with
    Windows Update, Review your Update History you can see the update. What
    is the Failure code. Double click the small red icon in the Status
    column for the failed update.

    Cross posting to Windows Update newsgroup.

    --

    Hope this helps.

    Gerry
    ~~~~
    FCA
    Stourport, England
    Enquire, plan and execute
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

    Gerry, Jul 5, 2009

  3. Hank

    mhm Guest

    mhm, Jul 5, 2009
  4. Hank

    Hank Guest

    On Sun, 5 Jul 2009 18:09:11 +0100, "Gerry" <> wrote:

    >Hank
    >
    >Select Start, Help and Support, Keep your Windows up- to-date with
    >Windows Update, Review your Update History you can see the update. What
    >is the Failure code. Double click the small red icon in the Status
    >column for the failed update.
    >
    >Cross posting to Windows Update newsgroup.

    Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. After reading a few
    postings in the update group came across this one.

    After beating my head against the wall and reading ALL of the posts of
    people
    having this problem, and no one giving a solution, but a few were able
    lead me down the right path.

    HERE IS THE SOLUTION!!! (at least it worked for me!)

    Go to C:\Windows\system32\drivers and delete wdf01000.sys

    Then, go to windows update, and select Custom. Then select hardware
    updates,
    and HID non-user Input data filter should be there again. Now select
    download and install, and it should enter the correct information and
    fix
    your HID non-user Input Data Filter Error / fatal error / failed to
    install
    problem.

    It worked. Thanks again.

    Hank, Jul 6, 2009
  5. Hank

    Gerry Guest

    Hank

    Glad it's sorted. Thanks for reporting the outcome.

    --

    Gerry
    ~~~~

    Gerry, Jul 6, 2009
  6. I am also getting a failure during the installation of KD911895. Error
    Code: 0x80070643 is displayed in the status screen.

    Any suggestions?

    --
    TWG_Wisconsin

    TWG_Wisconsin, Jul 7, 2009
  7. Update file is KB911895
    (Microsoft - Other hardware - HID Non-User Input Data Filter (KB 911895)
    --
    TWG_Wisconsin

    TWG_Wisconsin, Jul 7, 2009
  8. Hank

    jonathan Guest

    I am also getting a failure during the installation of KD911895. The error
    code is 0x80070643. I read that this is a generic code--not very helpful.

    How can I determine what is hanging up the installation ? Microsoft Online
    Support gave me the advice to hide this critical update on the Microsoft
    Update page to avoid repetitious downloads, but that is just sweeping it
    under the rug. SRX 1106205350

    Does anyone have a specific suggestion how to hunt down the barrier ?

    --
    jonathan

    jonathan, Jul 10, 2009
  9. "jonathan" <> wrote in message news:...
    >I am also getting a failure during the installation of KD911895.

    If that is not a typo you might be better off asking in a newsgroup
    which supports whatever language you are getting your KB articles in.

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=911895

    <quote>
    Install the Optional Hardware Update that is named Microsoft HID
    Non-User Input Data Filter.
    </quote>

    So, is that what you are trying to do? Are you sure that it is applicable
    for your case?

    > The error code is 0x80070643. I read that this is a generic code--not very helpful.
    >
    > How can I determine what is hanging up the installation ? Microsoft Online
    > Support gave me the advice to hide this critical update on the Microsoft
    > Update page to avoid repetitious downloads, but that is just sweeping it
    > under the rug. SRX 1106205350

    Sounds like someone has already asked you for diagnostics and done
    an analysis of them for you? What did they ask for? Why not ask them
    for a better explanation of their conclusions and recommendation?

    FWIW I wouldn't be so quick to assume that they are wrong.
    It might be that the update is not appropriate for your system
    in which case suppressing its offer is the *only* thing that you can do
    until the metadata which causes it to be offered to you is changed
    on the AU server.

    > Does anyone have a specific suggestion how to hunt down the barrier ?

    In general what you can do is search in all files which the update changed
    for instances of either the hex code or its decimal equivalent.
    So, in this case search all files which changed on that day for each of
    643 and 1603; then sort the results by Date Modified and scroll to
    the time of day that the update was done. Open any files which look
    like diagnostic files (e.g. .log files) in Notepad. If you don't have an
    association for a file's extension just drag it to an already opened Notepad
    window. Find the context of the code in the diagnostic and then scroll
    backwards to figure out what it really is informing you about. If these
    clues are not sufficient you can also supplement whatever diagnostics
    you do find by running ProcMon when you rerun the install of the update.

    Good luck

    Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

    Robert Aldwinckle, Jul 10, 2009
  10. Hank

    jonathan Guest

    --
    jonathan

    jonathan, Jul 10, 2009
  11. jonathan wrote:

    > Thanks--there was a typo. The download that won't install is > thanks for your helpful response. there was a typo--the download was Microsoft - Other hardware - HID Non-User Input Data Filter (KB 911895)

    Do you in fact have one of the hardware items listed in the KB article?

    <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/911895>

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/911895

    If so, was it working at the time? If not, did you used to have one?

    Have you tried downloading the update from the Microsoft Update Catalog, and
    then installing it in Safe Mode?

    <http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=911895>

    http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=911895

    Harry.

    Harry Johnston [MVP], Jul 11, 2009
  12. Hank

    Hank Guest

    On Thu, 9 Jul 2009 22:15:01 -0700, jonathan
    <> wrote:

    >I am also getting a failure during the installation of KD911895. The error
    >code is 0x80070643. I read that this is a generic code--not very helpful.
    >
    >How can I determine what is hanging up the installation ? Microsoft Online
    >Support gave me the advice to hide this critical update on the Microsoft
    >Update page to avoid repetitious downloads, but that is just sweeping it
    >under the rug. SRX 1106205350
    >
    >Does anyone have a specific suggestion how to hunt down the barrier ?

    This worked for me

    In the case of KB911895 failure the solution is:
    Go to C:\windows\system32\drivers and delete wdf01000.sys.
    Then the KB911895 will install.

    Hank, Jul 11, 2009
  13. Hank

    jonathan Guest

    --
    jonathan

    "Harry Johnston [MVP]" wrote:

    > jonathan wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks--there was a typo. The download that won't install is > thanks for your helpful response. there was a typo--the download was Microsoft - Other hardware - HID Non-User Input Data Filter (KB 911895)

    > Do you in fact have one of the hardware items listed in the KB article?
    >
    > <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/911895>
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/911895
    >
    > If so, was it working at the time? If not, did you used to have one?
    >
    > Have you tried downloading the update from the Microsoft Update Catalog, and
    > then installing it in Safe Mode?
    >
    > <http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=911895>
    >
    > http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=911895
    >
    > Harry.

    > Thanks.

    I do have a Microsoft Wireless 2000 Optical Mouse and it has never given me
    a problem. Nor do I have any problem placing my pc on standby or hibernation
    which I only do manually. I also rarely use a screensaver, but when I choose
    to do so it works. I don't have any idea what problem this update is supposed
    to fix.

    My computer is in use this evening, but thank you for the idea of
    downloading the driver and trying to install it in safe mode. I will try
    later or during the weekend when I can tolerate a restart.

    This suddenly appeared through the notification icon in my systray and was
    presented as a critical update so I took it seriously. How can one tell
    whether the proferred update is appropriate for your machine or a Windows
    Update process mistake when it won't install ?

    jonathan, Jul 11, 2009
  14. jonathan wrote:

    > I do have a Microsoft Wireless 2000 Optical Mouse and it has never given me
    > a problem. Nor do I have any problem placing my pc on standby or hibernation
    > which I only do manually. I also rarely use a screensaver, but when I choose
    > to do so it works. I don't have any idea what problem this update is supposed
    > to fix.

    Apparently, one you aren't experiencing. :)

    This means that it should be safe enough to just hide the update as Microsoft
    support suggested, although it would be nice to remember about it in case you do
    start having these symptoms in the future.

    (Problems of this sort often only affect some people, for reasons which are
    usually too complicated to be worth trying to figure out.)

    > My computer is in use this evening, but thank you for the idea of
    > downloading the driver and trying to install it in safe mode. I will try
    > later or during the weekend when I can tolerate a restart.

    Let us know how it goes, please.

    > This suddenly appeared through the notification icon in my systray and was
    > presented as a critical update so I took it seriously. How can one tell
    > whether the proferred update is appropriate for your machine or a Windows
    > Update process mistake when it won't install ?

    The Knowledge Base article associated with each update should provide
    information about the purpose of the update, although admittedly some are rather
    meagre and many require expertise to correctly interpret. For the average home
    user, the best bet is to ask someone - us, for example. :)

    Harry.

    Harry Johnston [MVP], Jul 11, 2009
  15. Hank

    jdm Guest

    On Jul 10, 7:14 pm, "Harry Johnston [MVP]" <>
    wrote:
    > jonathan wrote:
    > > I do have a Microsoft Wireless 2000 Optical Mouse and it has never given me
    > > a problem. Nor do I have any problem placing my pc on standby or hibernation
    > > which I only do manually. I also rarely use a screensaver, but when I choose
    > > to do so it works. I don't have any idea what problem this update is supposed
    > > to fix.

    > Apparently, one you aren't experiencing. :)
    >
    > This means that it should be safe enough to just hide the update as Microsoft
    > support suggested, although it would be nice to remember about it in caseyou do
    > start having these symptoms in the future.
    >
    > (Problems of this sort often only affect some people, for reasons which are
    > usually too complicated to be worth trying to figure out.)
    >
    > > My computer is in use this evening, but thank you for the idea of
    > > downloading the driver and trying to install it in safe mode. I will try
    > > later or during the weekend when I can tolerate a restart.

    > Let us know how it goes, please.
    >
    > > This suddenly appeared through the notification icon in my systray and was
    > > presented as a critical update so I took it seriously. How can one tell
    > > whether the proferred update is appropriate for your machine or a Windows
    > > Update process mistake when it won't install ?

    > The Knowledge Base article associated with each update should provide
    > information about the purpose of the update, although admittedly some arerather
    > meagre and many require expertise to correctly interpret.  For the average home
    > user, the best bet is to ask someone - us, for example. :)
    >
    >    Harry.

    > > I do have a Microsoft Wireless 2000 Optical Mouse and it has never given me
    > > a problem. Nor do I have any problem placing my pc on standby or hibernation
    > > which I only do manually. I also rarely use a screensaver, but when I choose
    > > to do so it works. I don't have any idea what problem this update is supposed
    > > to fix.

    > >  My computer is in use this evening, but thank you for the idea of
    > > downloading the driver and trying to install it in safe mode. I will try
    > > later or during the weekend when I can tolerate a restart.

    > > This suddenly appeared through the notification icon in my systray and was
    > > presented as a critical update so I took it seriously. How can one tell
    > > whether the proferred update is appropriate for your machine or a Windows
    > > Update process mistake when it won't install ?

    Thanks some more. I followed the link to the catalog and downloaded
    the update. The information from the site says essentially to double
    click on the downloaded file and follow the directionsl When I did
    that (not in safe mode) the copy/move utility opened. At this point I
    don't know how to make use of the file in safe mode or otherwise so I
    will keep researching. If anyone is willing to post directions about
    what to do with the file in the 'Microsoft - Other hardware - HID Non-
    User Input Data Filter (KB 911895)' which came down from the catalog
    containing a file named 'X86-zh-tw_de_el_en_es_fr_it_ko_pt-br_ru_zh-
    cn_pt_ja-nec-20264387_6e08d8505eae1a080db4768bc46f57980933161d' I
    would be grateful

    jdm, Jul 11, 2009
  16. > Thanks some more. I followed the link to the catalog and downloaded
    > the update. The information from the site says essentially to double
    > click on the downloaded file and follow the directionsl When I did
    > that (not in safe mode) the copy/move utility opened. At this point I
    > don't know how to make use of the file in safe mode or otherwise so I
    > will keep researching.

    Could you clarify what you mean by "copy/move utility"? If you're not sure how
    best to describe it, you can attach a screenshot.

    Right-click on the file and select Properties, and tell me what it says under
    "Type of file".

    Harry.

    Harry Johnston [MVP], Jul 12, 2009
  17. Hank

    jonathan Guest

    I'm sorry this reply took so long--the site has been down. There is no
    apparent way to attach screen shots to this reply.

    >>Could you clarify what you mean by "copy/move utility"? If you're not sure >>howbest to describe it, you can attach a screenshot.

    TERACOPY 2.01

    >>Right-click on the file and select Properties, and tell me what it says under
    >>"Type of file".

    CAB FILE

    My Wireless Optical Mouse 2000 is not on the list of problem devices in

    "Article ID: 911895 - Last Review: November 29, 2007 - Revision: 11.4
    The screen saver does not work when you use a Microsoft wireless pointing
    device on a Windows Vista-based computer"

    and I have a WindowsXP Home SP3 based computer, but the software for the
    mouse is Intellipoint 6.1 which is on the list. Since I have had no problems
    using the mouse or any of the problem issues I have found linked to this
    download at this time it seems clear I should not try to install it.

    Thanks for your help in leading me to this realization.
    --
    jonathan

    jonathan, Jul 13, 2009
  18. I had the same problem so I attempted to use your solution. Unfortunately,
    Help and Support won't respond. I have attempted several remedies from the
    forum with no success. I will deal with that separately but in the meantime,
    is there another way to review the Update history?

    Ned Rodriguez, Jul 15, 2009
  19. Hank

    Ron Badour Guest

    There is a newsgroup dedicated to update problems:

    http://www.microsoft.com/communitie...655-a5d5-4c07-bdb0-90caf9f30c42&lang=en&cr=us

    You may be able to get free email help from Microsoft on update issues:

    https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?gprid=6527&st=1

    Be sure that the questions in the email pertain solely to update problems.

    --
    Regards

    Ron Badour
    MS MVP
    Windows Desktop Experience

    Ron Badour, Jul 15, 2009
  20. Hank

    Sterling Guest

    I have had several problems installing Microsoft HID Non-User Input Data
    Filter on multiple machines and so far, the fix that has worked for me is to
    delete (or rename) c:\windows\system32\drivers\wdf01000.sys and rerun Windows
    Update.

    Sterling, Jul 16, 2009