Just deleted my Newegg shortcut

John Doe

I know this will rub some people the wrong way, but...

I don't know what Newegg's problem is. For a year or more, Newegg
is the only website on the Internet that is screwed up in my
Firefox browser. Yes, I know some people use Firefox and it looks
fine, but that doesn't mean anything to me, since Newegg is the
only website on the Internet that is totally messed up here. I
have never ran across a similarly dysfunctional website. Not one.
Not ever. Given the fact that they anticipate problems, with a
message about e-mailing them, obviously they know there is
something unusual about their website.

Anyway... If need be, I will use their sister website ChiefValue,
it displays correctly like every other website on the Internet.

Mike Easter

John said:
Newegg is the only website on the Internet that is screwed up in my
Firefox browser.

I'm looking at newegg's front page in Opera 11.6, Firefox 8, and
Chromium 14 browsers and all 3 views are the same.

Maybe something isn't working right for you with their 'Shop All Stores'
function on the left, which performs an action when you mouse over any
one of the 11 sections to 'pop out' each section's subsections.

Your ranty didn't describe what 'screwed up' means to you.

Firefox's current browser is 9.0.1.

Rene Lamontagne

When you say the only web site on the internet which is "screwed up" are yow
Sure you have checked all of the other 250 million plus sites in your
Firefox Browser???

Rene.

"John Doe" wrote in message

I know this will rub some people the wrong way, but...

I don't know what Newegg's problem is. For a year or more, Newegg
is the only website on the Internet that is screwed up in my
Firefox browser. Yes, I know some people use Firefox and it looks
fine, but that doesn't mean anything to me, since Newegg is the
only website on the Internet that is totally messed up here. I
have never ran across a similarly dysfunctional website. Not one.
Not ever. Given the fact that they anticipate problems, with a
message about e-mailing them, obviously they know there is
something unusual about their website.

Anyway... If need be, I will use their sister website ChiefValue,
it displays correctly like every other website on the Internet.

Nil

I'm looking at newegg's front page in Opera 11.6, Firefox 8, and
Chromium 14 browsers and all 3 views are the same.

Maybe something isn't working right for you with their 'Shop All
Stores' function on the left, which performs an action when you
mouse over any one of the 11 sections to 'pop out' each section's
subsections.

I buy stuff from the Newegg site frequently and I've never found a
problem with the site. I looked just now, and it works fine for me,
including the "Shop All Stores" section.
Your ranty didn't describe what 'screwed up' means to you.

Typical.

John Doe

Go play on a highway, troll

From: Nil <rednoise REMOVETHIScomcast.net>
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Re: Just deleted my Newegg shortcut
Date: 2 Jan 2012 15:12:31 GMT

I'm looking at newegg's front page in Opera 11.6, Firefox 8, and
Chromium 14 browsers and all 3 views are the same.

Maybe something isn't working right for you with their 'Shop All
Stores' function on the left, which performs an action when you
mouse over any one of the 11 sections to 'pop out' each section's
subsections.

I buy stuff from the Newegg site frequently and I've never found a
problem with the site. I looked just now, and it works fine for me,
including the "Shop All Stores" section.
Your ranty didn't describe what 'screwed up' means to you.

Typical.

John Doe

yow I'm sure. I have been actively browsing the Internet for a
very long time.

John Doe

Mike Easter said:
I'm looking at newegg's front page in Opera 11.6, Firefox 8, and
Chromium 14 browsers and all 3 views are the same.

Maybe something isn't working right for you with their 'Shop All
Stores' function on the left, which performs an action when you
mouse over any one of the 11 sections to 'pop out' each
section's subsections.

Your ranty didn't describe what 'screwed up' means to you.

It appears to be a formatting problem. It looks like something you
might get in Firefox through the menu bar View -- Page Style -- No
Style. And again, they know there is something potentially wrong
or they wouldn't have this text at the top of the page "If you are
reading this message..." Besides never seeing anything like their
messed up formatting in my browser, I cannot even recall seeing an
error message that clearly anticipates problems, like that one
does.

Not that it matters, the only thing I missed (until I got used to
shopping elsewhere) was their search engine. But my business is
not much nowadays anyway. I need to copy back Windows, so I will
try Firefox 9 on the way.

Rene Lamontagne

Fair enough :)) :))

Rene

"John Doe" wrote in message

yow I'm sure. I have been actively browsing the Internet for a
very long time.

Davej

I know this will rub some people the wrong way, but...

I don't know what Newegg's problem is. For a year or more, Newegg
is the only website on the Internet that is screwed up in my
Firefox browser.

I had a weird problem with http://www.woodcraft.com that no one could
explain but Newegg has never given me much trouble.

Mike Easter

John said:
Mike Easter
It appears to be a formatting problem. It looks like something you
might get in Firefox through the menu bar View -- Page Style -- No
Style. And again, they know there is something potentially wrong
or they wouldn't have this text at the top of the page "If you are
reading this message..." Besides never seeing anything like their
messed up formatting in my browser, I cannot even recall seeing an
error message that clearly anticipates problems, like that one
does.

If I view the 'regular' newegg front page in Firefox's No Style function
(which is a function I find very useful for some purposes and I wish
Chrome/Chromium had that function), I see this:

If you are reading this message, Please click this link to reload this
page.(Do not use your browser's "Refresh" button). Please email us if
you're running the latest version of your browser and you still see this
message.

.... where the 'this link' is this: http://www.newegg.com/Index.aspx?Local=y

which renders the same/normally for me.

Then, if you like, you can view the source of each of those two
different pages. Since I'm not well versed (nor even 'versed' well or
otherwise) in markup and style sheets, I didn't delve into parsing the
source.

There is also another newegg fault view you can get if you have
javascript disabled which asks you to fix that.
Not that it matters, the only thing I missed (until I got used to
shopping elsewhere) was their search engine. But my business is
not much nowadays anyway. I need to copy back Windows, so I will
try Firefox 9 on the way.

If I were troubleshooting, I would consider the ffx settings I have
which are not the default and I would consider the add-ons/extensions
besides the version issue.

John Doe

Davej said:
Clear your browser cache under the advanced tab, network tab.

Nope.

Sometimes I even delete *.sqlite files, since Firefox does not
have a real history delete function. Or maybe that's it.

I only use two Firefox add-ons, Flags and AdBlock. If it mattered,
I might try to troubleshoot it, but I wouldn't know where to
begin. The cause should be obvious. Maybe it will show the next
time Windows is reinstalled, but that's a long process to be
looking for something that is no big deal.

Paul

John said:
Nope.

Sometimes I even delete *.sqlite files, since Firefox does not
have a real history delete function. Or maybe that's it.

I only use two Firefox add-ons, Flags and AdBlock. If it mattered,
I might try to troubleshoot it, but I wouldn't know where to
begin. The cause should be obvious. Maybe it will show the next
time Windows is reinstalled, but that's a long process to be
looking for something that is no big deal.

Standard advice, when a browser doesn't work right, is to
"disable add-ons". If you haven't disabled add-ons and retested,
you haven't given it a fair chance.

Paul

John Doe

Paul said:
Standard advice, when a browser doesn't work right, is to
"disable add-ons". If you haven't disabled add-ons and retested,
you haven't given it a fair chance.

Bingo. Apparently, it's AdBlock. Newegg doesn't like the most
useful/wonderful/necessary add-on to Firefox. I'm not going to
wade through their billboards. I always liked Newegg's high
technology search engine, but I'm not into high-tech advertising.
Even if it were just bright pretty pictures, I don't like glaring
white stuff on a webpage. Maybe it's exciting to an enthusiastic
shopper. Actually, most people might not notice, because they use
a bright white background in Windows. I think that's like looking
into a lightbulb. Since Windows XP, Windows has been able to
handle a black background pretty well, so I started using it.
That's why webpage pictures look glaring on my computer.

At least that solves the mystery here (and maybe for anybody else
who uses Firefox with AdBlock). The last website of significance
(to me) that prohibited using AdBlock was a Supreme Commander 2
replays website. They were giving away replays,, not selling
anything, but even they stopped prohibiting AdBlock users.

Oh well.

Mike Easter

John said:
Bingo. Apparently, it's AdBlock. Newegg doesn't like the most
useful/wonderful/necessary add-on to Firefox.

One of the reasons that I don't routinely use add-ons like AdBlock is
because a lot of the sites that I visit that do 'good things' have low
traffic. They depend on their ads for 'survival' and if I block their
ads then they have a harder time surviving and bringing me what I want.

I don't mind cramping the style of a lot of busy sites that have all
kinds of crazy geegaws, but my 'default' condition is to not block ads
because of the ratio of low traffic sites I visit compared to the number
of busy sites who should probably have most of the promotions they are
using for my 'internet experience' blocked outright.

If I'm going to block ads, I would prefer to block ads selectively.

John Doe

Mike Easter said:
One of the reasons that I don't routinely use add-ons like
AdBlock is because a lot of the sites that I visit that do 'good
things' have low traffic. They depend on their ads for
'survival' and if I block their ads then they have a harder time
surviving and bringing me what I want.

Do you have to click on the ads in order for the website to get
any money?

Mike Easter

John said:
Mike Easter

Do you have to click on the ads in order for the website to get
any money?

No.

Without getting into all of the nuances of ad revenue and ad blocking,
here are a couple of articles about the subject, including some
information from the developer of Ad Block who is now going to allow its
users to permit non-intrusive ads (the default settting).

Ars technica
http://arstechnica.com/business/new...king-is-devastating-to-the-sites-you-love.ars
Did you know that blocking ads truly hurts the websites you visit? We
recently learned that many of our readers did not know this, so I'm
going to explain why.

Ad Block Plus allowed ad faq
https://adblockplus.org/en/acceptable-ads#criteria Allowing acceptable
ads in Adblock Plus - Why is this feature enabled by default? - Which
ads are "acceptable"?

John Doe

Mike said:
No.

Without getting into all of the nuances of ad revenue and ad
blocking, here are a couple of articles

No thanks. If you want to argue something, argue it here.