Japanese encoding and in IE 6 gone AND typing in Jap. doesn't work

Brand new Dell w/ Win. XP, IE 6.0--Japanese encoding in IE 6 is somehow gone,
after working for frist couple of days, but all other languages remain
(including other E. Asian languages). IE doesn't even give Japanese encoding
as an option to add. This trouble started after we tried to add Japanese IME
(which should've come with Windows anyway!) w/o any luck. Downloaded trial
version of Office XP in order to try to get the IME that can be added to
Office, but keyboard/input method is atypical and somehow seems to have
triggered the loss of Jap. encoding in IE and Outlook Express, so I deleted
Office XP trial. Already tried "Install files for E. Asian Languages" and
just about everything else. What could possible be the problem(s)??

Thanks--didn't work, so we just reinstalled Windows and didn't bother with
Office XP trial again. Followed your steps, and Japanese input (MS-IME 2002)
has worked for about 1 week (and so does viewing Japanese encoding in IE and
Outlook)--everything was fine, but now, for absolutely no reason we know of,
the input method for Japanese IME has changed. For example: if we type k-a
now, instead of hiragana "ka," we get katakana "nochi." Another example, if
we type n-o for "no," we don't get hiragana "no" but, instead katakana
"mira." UNBELIEVABLY irritating--we don't know how to use Japanese keyboard.
Pls. help.

JR K Yoshikawa said:
What is Downloaded trial version of office XP?
Is that Japanese Office XP?
How did you try to add Japanese IME?

Install files for E. Asian Languages" is same as instructions below?

http://newton.uor.edu/Departments&Programs/AsianStudiesDept/Language/asian
languageinstallation_XP.html

remove trial version of Office XP.
Then create another administrative privilege user account.
Enable east asian language, and check marked on Apply all settings to the
current user account and to tha default user profile.

From: JoshP [mailto:[email protected]]
Posted At: Thursday, October 20, 2005 9:56 PM
Posted To: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
Conversation: Japanese encoding and in IE 6 gone AND typing in Jap.
doesn't work
work

This is very strange. Again today, for no reason, it went back to the
incorrect output, and this time none of the steps below worked. It's
determined to keep outputting this different katakana system instead of the
correct hiragana and kanji. Any ideas? Is there any way to reload the
dictionary?