It's Snowing

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Just back from Aberdeen.

This winter they have not had ANY snow. :eek:

People I talked to told me they cannot remember a winter up there without snow.

Still, there's time yet. :D

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Yep we have had another 2 inches here and its still snowing as I type!

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Funny:

Not funny at all:

Helsinki woman dies after ice falls from roof

More than 70 cm of the white stuff... another 20 or so in order within the next couple of days.
60a518175864682

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
I'll tell you another thing that can end all life on this planet. If the sky fell on our heads. That'd do it.
Ask and you shall receive:
Self-consistent stereo measurements by the Multiangle Imaging SpectroRadiometer (MISR) on the Terra satellite yield a decrease in global effective cloud height over the decade from March 2000 to February 2010. The linear trend is −44 ± 22 m/decade and the interannual annual difference is −31 ± 11 m between the first and last years of the decade. The annual mean height is measured with a sampling error of 8 m, which is less than the observed interannual fluctuation in global cloud height for most years. A maximum departure from the 10-year mean, of −80 ± 8 m, is observed towards the end of 2007. These height anomalies correlate well with the changes in the Southern Oscillation Index, with the effective height increasing over Indonesia and decreasing over the Central Pacific during the La Niña phase of the oscillation. After examining the net influence of Central Pacific/Indonesia heights on the global mean anomaly, we conclude that the integrated effects from outside these regions dominate the global mean height anomalies, confirming the existence of significant teleconnections.
Davies, R. and M. Molloy (2012), Global cloud height fluctuations measured by MISR on Terra from 2000 to 2010, Geophys. Res. Lett., 39, L03701, doi:10.1029/2011GL050506

:lol:

Ask a Question