issues with new iiyama 22" 514 pro

Reaction score
Hi,

I noticed a few here have iiyama monitors and am hopeing you can help me out, today I received a new iiyama 22" 514 pro but it has some issues (well as far as I'm concerned it does)

As a side note (before we begin!) I bought it from savastore and am a bit weary of their refunds policy so I have gone about documenting the issues incase they try and say there's no fault, what I'd like to know is are these issues that all these monitors have or have I got a duff one?

issue1

these 2 shots are from the top and middle of the screen and shows how the convergence has a problem, the middle shot shows that the vertical convergence has slight blue under the white (this can be set up better) but at the same time the lower section has red at the top and side of the white - the red would get even worse if the convergence was better adjusted to remove the blue from the middle section,,

while it takes close attention to spot the convergence issue it does present itself as a blurring of text displayed at the bottom middle section of the screen,.

the shots are taken on a 2mp camera using a tripod @ 6" from the screen (camera was not tilted)

see supporting pictures below.

NB,. I've also included a screenshot (this is not a photo of the screen but the internal screen picture as screen-shotted using windows) - which if your monitor is ok should look fine - it's just for referance to see where I had the windows positioned! :)

screenshot @ http://oneoddsock.co.uk/pics/screenshot.gif

middle, blue mis-convergence at bottom of '|' @ http://oneoddsock.co.uk/pics/middle_picture.jpg

bottom, red mis-convergence at top and left of '|' @ http://oneoddsock.co.uk/pics/bottom_picture.jpg

I'll post the other issue in the next post :)

thanks!

Sil

Reaction score
issue 2 (likely related to issue 1)

straight lines appear to be bowed upwards when they appear near the bottom of the display

note it's not possible to correct this using pin-cushion / trapezoid or any of the monitor settings,.

also note, I tried to line up the camera (6mp with lens focal length 90-ish mm) to remove any distortion, if you assume that the plastic outer of the screen is square and has straight lines then you can account for any distortion introduced by the camera..

2 pics (one as-is from camera, quite large) the other a crop of the problem area with 2 straight lines (in red) drawn on to see the issue..

just incase the issue isn't obvious, look at the cropped version, notice the higher of the two red lines, the problem is the curve introduced onto the bottom of the cmd window by the monitor, this bow-ing up of the image occurs only toward the bottom of the display, the rest of the display is reasonably straight

it's really on the cropped one you need to see

crop @ http://oneoddsock.co.uk/pics/crop_red_8294.jpg - about 130k

full version @ http://oneoddsock.co.uk/pics/fullscreen_8294.jpg - this will load quite slow it's near 3 megs

so the question I have is, do these issues occur on all the 22" iiyama 514 monitors or does this one have specific problems?

Thanks! :)

Sil

Reaction score
iiyama have an onsite warranty - if theres anything wrong with it call IIYAMA and THEY will get you a replacement delivered next day... not Savastore.

Reaction score
***0870 224 9595***

Ring that number now and tell them your problem - they will bring you a new one in 1 or 2 days, and the man that brings the new one will probably take the old one away with him. Chances are the new one will be alot newer than the old one.

Let us know what they say.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
My fist instinct is you have not set it up correctly ...

First I would 'reset' the monitor using it's own built-in reset.

Then, make sure I am using the correct driver for Windows ... look at the 'sticky' lable on the top left of the monitor, I/you need that info' as that is the actual monitor type and recommended 'highest' setting ... Iiyama are a bugger to find the 'exact' driver you need. Is it a 'Diamondtron M2 and at what pitch?

Don't use the highest setting the monitor can take but use 1280x1024 ... there is a feature in windows, mainly used for LCD/TFTs called "clear type" (err, I think) turn it on, it is really pretty good for CRTs as well.

Quad has an article/posted here, I can't find it for the moment, but I'm sure he will pop in, how to calibrate your monitor.

You won't like this next bit ... ALL Iiyama's that I know of hide the fact that they are 'sharp' in the centre, but go 'fuzzy' or to put it corectly have less DPI at the edges. So if you have a 24dpi flat centre, then you'll probably find its 26dpi at the edges. uh oh, but then I think you'll find most CRTs have that 'problem' ... :rolleyes:

As Chris said, here in the UK you SHOULD have a 3year On-Site Warantee, but you may be able to take it back to the shop if only a few days old ... if not, phone Iiyama.

:cool:

Reaction score
If you bought it online, dont bother sending it back - get in touch with Iiyama directly. If you buy in the shops, take it back...

Reaction score
thanks guys, I really just want to get shot of the thing now,. I called iiyama and they can't currently swap it out as they have no stock and don't know when more may come in,.

I'm covered to return the thing under distance selling regs (7 working days from delivery) but I get to pay postage,. and as far as I'm concerned the thing is faulted so I want to return it,. my main concern is that savastore tell me there's nothing wrong with it and send it back to me (at my expense)..

I called savastore and they said they'd send someone over but they've not yet emailed me any details,.

Sil

Reaction score
They might not have stock at the moment but they will send someone out when they do...

Buying a Vision Master Pro 454 19" was one of the worst things i did - i paid nearly £200 i think for it i think... and it was so heavy the desk groaned under the weight, the edges of the screen were fuzzy and the USB hub emitted a high pitched squeak.

Had it for a year or so... sold it for £110 i think and bought a 17" DVI LG L1730S TFT for £270. BEST thing i did! Same screen size as the 19" CRT, and freed up SO MUCH DESK SPACE!

The moral of the story: Go TFT!

Reaction score
yeah,

I am still a bit wary of tfts, desk space isn't an issue for me, my 24" widescreen monitor died (well it lasted for two months and was amazing and I only paid 60 quid for it) so I wanted another large crt,. but I am overall not impressed with the 22" iiyama (I could live with it but it cost 400 - I expected more / close to perfect).

I will take my chances I guess with sending it back to savastore as faulty (which in my view it is) and hope they see things the same.. fingers crossed :)

Sil

PS, does anyone have a large screen iiyama that does not 'bow up' along the very bottom of the display?

Reaction score
Get a 20" Widescreen TFT - i can pretty much guarantee you will be impressed - everything is just so sharp and not fuzzy... and straight lines are straight!!

Get a refund if you can, then buy one of these

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/lcd20.html

DELL Ultrasharp 2005FPW 20" Widescreen LCD Monitor - Midnight Grey (29082) (MO-000-DE)
The Dell UltraSharp 2005FPW and 2405FPW are the newest models in Dell’s line of UltraSharp flat-panels and are Dell’s first wide-aspect (16:10) desktop displays. With the launch of the 2005FPW and 2405FPW, Dell continues its commitment to provide customers with the latest in flat-panel technology at industry-leading prices. Delivers distortion-free images due to fast response times, and rich, powerful colours with high contrast ratios. Wide vertical and horizontal viewing angles enable a clear view of the screen from virtually any location around the display. The wide-aspect capability (widescreen) allows Dell UltraSharp users to enjoy the multimedia experience on their PC to the fullest. Users can watch DVDs in native resolution and run multiple applications on the screen simultaneously. Widescreen also improves productivity with less scrolling and toggling and is an excellent option for video-editing and 3-D imaging as both source and destination video can be viewed in a single window.

- 1680 x 1050 (WUXGA) Optimum Resolution
- 16.7 Million Colours
- 600:1 Contrast Ratio
- 16ms Response Time
- 300 cd/m2 Brightness
- One DVI-D Input
- One Analogue Input
- One S-Video Input
- One Composite Input
- Height adjustable stand (100mm travel)
- VESA mounting compatible / Security slot : Yes (100mm) / Yes
- Integrated powered USB 2.0 hub : 4 downstream / 1 upstream ports
- Warranty : 4 year next business day exchange supplied by Manufacturer

£411.19 inc VAT

Far better than Iiyama CRT

Reaction score
looks tempting,. but(!) what abt dead pixels (one of my main concerns)?

also @ that resolution will the text not be quite small?

I guess I really need to get down PCWorld to take a look at todays state of the art in tfts (not that I would buy one there!) :)

Sil

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
silver said:
yeah,

I am still a bit wary of tfts, desk space isn't an issue for me, my 24" widescreen monitor died (well it lasted for two months and was amazing and I only paid 60 quid for it) so I wanted another large crt,. but I am overall not impressed with the 22" iiyama (I could live with it but it cost 400 - I expected more / close to perfect).

I will take my chances I guess with sending it back to savastore as faulty (which in my view it is) and hope they see things the same.. fingers crossed :)

Sil

PS, does anyone have a large screen iiyama that does not 'bow up' along the very bottom of the display?
Every body here that knows me will tell you what a pain in the neck I am when it comes to a TFT/LCD monitor.

A few weeks back I saw a monitor that was absolutely perfect for me, my eyes but not my pocket. However, my ageing Iiyama developed a very bad 'flicker' on the sides and near the bottom ... and yes, it is the monitor not outside interference.

So Saturday Muckshifter bought a Videoseven TFT monitor ... and you lot can keep quiet at the back ...I must say it was not my first choice, but for my pocket, it was/is a bargain.

I have been converted ... :D

I will admit, TFT/LCD has come a long way ... do what I did, have a look, play with it, make SURE you can return it if it has ANY "dead pixles" or walk away. I am fortunate to "know the trade" and more fortunate to know the trader I bought the monitor from ... I aint paid for it yet. :D

Reaction score
Hell with a warranty like that you can break it, and have a new one brought round next day!

cough... its not my fault theres a hole in the screen... the courier must have dropped it...

Of ALL the TFT's i have seen and used, only 2 have ever had a dead pixel. None had more than one either. And ive used alot.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've had an Iiyama Pro 454 19" for just over three years and an Iiyama Pro 514 21" for just over two years now.

They're perfect. Very happy with them, the 21" is great for gaming.

The 454 went faulty on me two years into it's warranty, I phoned Iiyama and they said they were out of stock. I phoned them three days later and they were in stock again. The faulty unit was swapped out for a new one two days later, at home.

If your desk sags under the weight of a CRT monitor, then buy a decent desk and throw away that MFI piece of chipboard rubbish :p

TFT Monitors may look pretty but CRT monitors still give a better image.

And I refuse to go TFT until a supplier can guarantee me no dead pixels. I'm blowed if I'll pay 400 quid for a flawed product, it just ain't acceptable.

I guess with such good response times now being available, TFT's are actually ok for gaming, but I still ain't gonna change until either my Iiyama's drop dead out of warranty or the dead pixel policy is changed.

Reaction score
yeah - is kinda the way I feel about it really, before I decide I will try and see a decent tft in action :)

floppybootstomp, can you check if your display 'bows up' in the middle at the bottom, this is the 22" I have > http://oneoddsock.co.uk/pics/crop_red_8294.jpg the curve isn't (that) obvious and really you need to look very carefully / get a straight edge to even notice it

Sil

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
silver said:
yeah - is kinda the way I feel about it really, before I decide I will try and see a decent tft in action :)

floppybootstomp, can you check if your display 'bows up' in the middle at the bottom, this is the 22" I have > http://oneoddsock.co.uk/pics/crop_red_8294.jpg the curve isn't (that) obvious and really you need to look very carefully / get a straight edge to even notice it

Sil

No, it doesn't. I had a real good look, went into Bios and looked at it there, it's quite fine.

Have attached a screen shot, though not sure if that would actually display your problem.

Attachments

• iiyama.jpg
    iiyama.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 111
Reaction score
Screenshots wont show it - its not the output to the monitor thats faulty it would be the monitor itsself... as far as windows is concerned everythings perfect...

Aria.co.uk do a dead pixel service for £19.95 - you're guranteed to get a dead pixel free unit.

Reaction score
thanks guys :)

well it's possible that it's just a fault on this monitor then.. humm

Sil

Ask a Question