Is it white with you?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
The modern British attitude to clearing snow is totally appaling. I grew up in an era where nearly everyone except for total loosers cleared snoe from in front of their houses and helped to clear snow from old folks houses and paths too. Shop keepers cleared the snow from in front of their shops as well.

It would take 648 men about ten minutes to draw up a law saying that you would be free from being sued if you cleared snow from your paths. Our bunch of tottal muppet MP's have had thier heads up their arsess for years over this matter.

I say, whoever wrote that, one word - spellcheck :)

I wonder where the figures of '648 men' and '10 minutes' came from? Odd.

Abarbarian said:
Remember stories like this when the election comes around and vote out the muppets who are ruining your lives and the country.

You could level that quote at any Goverment who's been in power for too long, it would equally apply to the Thatcher/Major years.

I've made my political views clear here on several occasions but suffice to say I hate all of them :)

Especially Greens :mad:

Reaction score
What most people say here about governments is probably true. Me - i personally don't get caught up in it. There's more to life. And yes, i thought the spelling was "appaling", too.

Edit : "Loosers" was a term we used for loose cigarettes when i was a wee laddie.:D

Last edited:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
I wonder where the figures of '648 men' and '10 minutes' came from? Odd.

I belive there are 648 members of parliament. An yes 10 minutes is odd should be more like 2 minutes. For example,

" I'd like to propose a bill that lets people clear snow from paths and walkways etc in the knowledge that they will not be persued through the courts for damages should anyone fall and injure themselves on the cleared ground"

"All those in favour"

" Carried by a majority vote of 648"

Or something like the above.

As to spelling mistakes, spot the ones above if it keeps you happy.

One lad of 21 died in Kendal after a fall on ice on the footpath, hit his head and split his skull right open, claret everywhere. I know of two older folk who have busted limbs and I am sure that there are plenty more crippled folk around due to our MP's, councilors and county councilors total lack of decent leadership. Me mum of 84 has not left her house in York for 8 days. The situation is totally digusting.

:p

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
I belive there are 648 members of parliament. An yes 10 minutes is odd should be more like 2 minutes. For example,

" I'd like to propose a bill that lets people clear snow from paths and walkways etc in the knowledge that they will not be persued through the courts for damages should anyone fall and injure themselves on the cleared ground"

"All those in favour"

" Carried by a majority vote of 648"

Or something like the above.

I see. Thank you. I have been edumacated :)

Abarbarian said:
As to spelling mistakes, spot the ones above if it keeps you happy.

Doesn't keep me happy, I just happen to be fond of the English language :)

Abarbarian said:
One lad of 21 died in Kendal after a fall on ice on the footpath, hit his head and split his skull right open, claret everywhere. I know of two older folk who have busted limbs and I am sure that there are plenty more crippled folk around due to our MP's, councilors and county councilors total lack of decent leadership. Me mum of 84 has not left her house in York for 8 days. The situation is totally digusting.

:p

Are you saying that a little known law appearing to prevent people from clearing snow off their paths is responsible for spilt brains?

Ever considered some folk are just too lazy to do the chore?

More likely methinks.

My Mum is 79 and hasn't been out of her house for a week either. Which pleases me cos last time she went out in similar weather she ended up in Casualty after taking a tumble on ice. Only a swollen wrist, luckily.

And you spelt 'councillors' wrong :p :lol:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Are you saying that a little known law appearing to prevent people from clearing snow off their paths is responsible for spilt brains?

You make a good Devil's advocate :D

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
My Mum is 79 and hasn't been out of her house for a week either. Which pleases me cos last time she went out in similar weather she ended up in Casualty after taking a tumble on ice. Only a swollen wrist, luckily.

1. Nordic walking poles.

753pxnordicwalkingsauva.jpg

Unlike trekking poles, most Nordic walking poles come with Nordic walking straps, removable rubber tips for use on hard surfaces and hardened metal tips for trails, the beach, snow and ice.

2. Shoes with "smart studs" - studs which adapt to the surface. An example:

http://www.icebug.se/Product.aspx?m=138

icebugcortina.jpg

icebugcortina2.jpg

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Found it. Here we go then, Winter of '63, me and me Dad.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 63 001_900.jpg
    63 001_900.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 180

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Urmas said:
1. Nordic walking poles.

753pxnordicwalkingsauva.jpg

Unlike trekking poles, most Nordic walking poles come with Nordic walking straps, removable rubber tips for use on hard surfaces and hardened metal tips for trails, the beach, snow and ice.

2. Shoes with "smart studs" - studs which adapt to the surface. An example:

http://www.icebug.se/Product.aspx?m=138

icebugcortina.jpg

icebugcortina2.jpg

Thems is good boots
nod.gif
a bit pricey but I like the retracting stud idea. They also do a cheaper range with add on ice grips. :thumb:

http://www.outnet.eu/icebug-eu/metro.php

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/5227

Now if it snowed here every year they would be worth buying as £150 v a busted limb is no competition in my book. :)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Aww good pic Flopps - your Burberry brings back memories, of when we all used to wear them to school, girls and boys alike. :p Hated mine, damn thing was a couple of sizes too big (to allow for growing... how could parents do that to their sensitive off-spring!! :lol: ) Health and Safety people would probably have had a fit too, because on dark mornings/evenings, with hoods up, we must have almost disappeared into the gloom! :lol:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
And from that pic I note my parents forced me to wear short trousers in sub zero temperatures. Cruel! Cruel! ;)

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
And from that pic I note my parents forced me to wear short trousers in sub zero temperatures. Cruel! Cruel! ;)

Made a man of you. ;)

Mind you, oop north, we wore short sleeve shirts and no overcoat in those conditions. :D

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:

A bit like the self-imposed cruelty of mini-skirts just a few years on :p Gawd, how I suffered for the sake of fashion!! But after those dratted school Burberrys it was freedom - of the excruciatingly cold and tingly sort, as legs eventually started to thaw and came back to life in a centrally-heated office. :lol:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
All this talk of mini-skirts certainly puts the temperature up. :p

Reaction score
Adding to the talk of mini skirts,any one catch the pictures,in the Daily Mail of a few days ago, of young women in mini skirts,flimsy tops and open shoes,going out for a night out dressed like that in this weather. One young "lady" was flat out on her back on a bed of snow out to the world,crazy people.

historian :(

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I would rather eat my own poo than part with money for The Daily Mail. Sorry :blush:

As for that reporting, probably a setup but sounds like just another normal January Saturday evening on Sauchiehall Street :)

Reaction score
Had more snow here in south London. First noticed it at 3 this morning.It was still snowing when we got up at around half 8. It finally stopped at 11 in the morning. So we`ve had quite a covering. Tonight it`s thawing which means it`s going to be icy by morning.

historian :(

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
I would rather eat my own poo than part with money for The Daily Mail. Sorry :blush:

As for that reporting, probably a setup but sounds like just another normal January Saturday evening on Sauchiehall Street :)

Hi Floppy.
The pics were from all over the U.K.So I don`t see it being a set up.Unless the Mail paid their own reporters to create the pics,or paid local news hounds to pose the girls.
Re your remarks about the paper. Don`t appologise Flopps you are entitled to your views.
historian :wave:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Aye, I spoke too soon in the other thread, saying snow had been and gone. Woke this morning to 2" of the white stuff.

Had a dentists' appointment at Guys for 10.15, couldn't get a train in time, all delayed, re-scheduled dentists for exactly same time one week from today, which was good.

As for our UK tabloids, there's hard news, which they embroider, and then there's 'human interest' stories and features, which are 50% at least total fabrication.

I know, I've been there.

It's a hard life as editor when all there is to report on is snow although the recent news about Muslims 4UK being banned and some geezer chopping another geezer into tiny pieces and burying him in several locations was quite newsworthy :)

Ask a Question