Will you be building one...?

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
So, the latest government advice to help prevent flooding as snow thaws is... build a snowman... (tsk tsk, that's not very PR of them is it, they surely mean snowperson. )

Britons were today urged to build an army of snowmen to stop flooding.

The Environment Agency stressed compacted snow melted more slowly so would cause less sudden surface water and reduce the risk of flooding.

The bizarre advice comes as weather experts predict a swift thaw in some parts of the UK when temperatures soar over the weekend.

Environment Agency spokesman Roy Stokes said: “Ideally if everybody built themselves a snowman that will slow the thaw down a bit.

“If you notice when people clear their drive the snow thaws away but the compacted piles stay which will give a balanced thaw, which would be helpful.

“We would rather it be a gradual thaw than a really quick one. “If it does go to quick we are likely to see a few flood alerts.”
Source: London Evening Standard

We could have a competition :D

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
No I won't but here's one

attachment.php

The only way it would work is if every snowman built could then build a copy of himself and so on. Exponential growth of snowmen might eventually help but failing that it's a dead duck. :D

Attachments

• Snow.JPG
    Snow.JPG
    6.1 KB · Views: 163

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I would do if we had any snow! Even on the worst day we had no more than a couple of inches - I don't want to jinx it, but it's not been bad round here this winter (...yet!).

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
tsk tsk, that's not very PR of them is it, they surely mean snowperson.

Lumiakka4.jpg

Just wondering... how much snow there actually is on the ground "over there)? Sounds a bit... I mean, the density of new snow is (roughly) 10-20 % of that of water — meaning that a snowfall of, say, 10 cm equals 10-20 mm of rain.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Just wondering... how much snow there actually is on the ground "over there)? Sounds a bit... I mean, the density of new snow is (roughly) 10-20 % of that of water — meaning that a snowfall of, say, 10 cm equals 10-20 mm of rain.
Just speaking about the area where I live, we had about 6 - 8 inches of snow. Not much at all, compared to where you are Urmas, but enough to bring the county to a stand-still... as usual. :rolleyes:

Schools were closed, refuse and recycling bin collections have been halted (for the past week) ...so, just the usual chaos that happens at the first sign of a snowflake here in good old Blighty. Well, my bit of Welsh Blighty anyway lol.

Flooding could be quite a problem though, because the snow fell onto already-saturated ground. Our garden, for example, still has a goodly amount of snow laying across most of it, but an area has begun to thaw, so we now have a small "lake" with miniature "fjiords" radiating from it. Groundwater is about 5 or more inches deep.

Not planning to build any snowpeople any time soon though lol. :lol: