Is it white with you?

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
1) Genuine fear of sliding back down the hill?
Tyres so worn out that the only instance approving them for use would be Finnish Ski Association? Or zero winter driving experience?

4) All London bus drivers are a big bunch of girlies totally lacking in bottle who couldn't punch their way out of a wet paper bag?
Compulsory conscription. Three winter months of this...

... sleeping in tents, deep, DEEP in the woods, keeping them wheels running @-30°C. Puts 30cm of snow on a city street into perspctive.

:p

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Here's some pics from Manchester that we took a couple of days ago :)

dsc00168gg.jpg

dsc00157t.jpg

dsc00159nb.jpg

Reaction score
Urmas said:
Tyres so worn out that the only instance approving them for use would be Finnish Ski Association? Or zero winter driving experience?

... sleeping in tents, deep, DEEP in the woods, keeping them wheels running @-30°C. Puts 30cm of snow on a city street into perspctive.

That just has to be the noisiest diesel pump i have ever heard !!

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
That's what [cold] starting a[ny] big diesel engine sounds - and looks - like when it gets properly nippy.

happywave.gif

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Here's some pics from Manchester that we took a couple of days ago:)

The houseboat looks well and truly stuck in the ice - do you know whether anyone is living on it? The trees look soo pretty, so if there are folk on board, at least they have a nice view :p

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Still very white.

But 1. It has barely snowed in the last 24 hours
2. The temperature did NOT fall below zero all night

The icicles are dripping at a fair old rate. :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Taffycat said:
The houseboat looks well and truly stuck in the ice - do you know whether anyone is living on it? The trees look soo pretty, so if there are folk on board, at least they have a nice view :p

Yep, there are quite a few moored up and they all seem to have people onboard. I don't envy them at this time of the year :eek:. Some seem to have some nice woodburners onboard that smell really nice when you walk past :)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Yep, there are quite a few moored up and they all seem to have people onboard. I don't envy them at this time of the year :eek:. Some seem to have some nice woodburners onboard that smell really nice when you walk past :)

It sounds as if they might actually be quite cosy. :nod: There was a TV programme about houseboats last year, and inside, some of them looked quite luxurious and very well fitted.

Reaction score
Was due for heavy snow last night, but it missed us!
Not sure what Gatwick is like today as i'm not working.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:

6" of snow will act as a good insulator and the snow will also block up any draught spots. Thats what is happening at my wooden box. An woodburners are the biz in this weather :D

Luverly pics by the way.
nod.gif

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Urmas said:

Our BOYS (note boys not men) don't need no conscription or generators. :p:p
laughingsmiley.gif

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8450272.stm

Reaction score
Yeah, i think the snow has moved over to us in Ireland....4inches last night. Kids are having a great time. Schools are closed until thursday.....stupid schools.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
Caption competition (photo courtesy of my sister)

attachment.php

"No way...!!! I demand a litter tray NOW!!"

That is a super pic Chris, he/she is a lovely cat :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Urmas said:
This just hit the news up here (the U.K. contribution to crazy foreign folks dept.):

Health and safety experts warn: don't clear icy pavements, you could get sued

Oh dear... :lol: :lol: :lol: I think in many countries that it's a legal responsibility to clear snow outside your house.

I wonder if anyone has actually been sued though, I can't imagine anyone being taken to court unless they cleared all the snow from their house and piled it in to the middle of the road. Then again, their's a first for everything ;)

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
I think in many countries that it's a legal responsibility to clear snow outside your house.

Yes. And it has been a source of disagreements - how well is well enough? Nowadays, in most cities/town this is the deal (case Helsinki quoted below):

The winter maintenance of streets includes the clearing of snow and ice, and gritting the streets. Winter maintenance also includes the clearing of anti-slip grit in the spring. Individual properties are charged with the winter maintenance of pavements in front of the properties. In addition, the properties must remove snow banks accumulating on the pavement or next to it and ensure that the gutter next to the pavement is clear of snow and ice.

The Public Works Department takes care of the winter maintenance of carriageways, market squares and pedestrian and cycling paths. In certain areas, all street maintenance duties have been transferred from the properties to the City.

Individual properties are allowed to transport cleared snow to Snow Disposal Areas maintained by the Public Works Department.

http://www.hel.fi/wps/portal/Rakenn...TEXT=/hkr/en/Streets/Maintenance/Snow+and+ice

(The "snow banks accumulating on the pavement" bit refers to snow "originating from" the property - courtyards etc.)

Another thing - and that responsibility falls [NPI] on properties - is to make sure that there is no snow/ice/icicles falling from the roofs.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Oh dear... :lol: :lol: :lol: I think in many countries that it's a legal responsibility to clear snow outside your house.

I wonder if anyone has actually been sued though, I can't imagine anyone being taken to court unless they cleared all the snow from their house and piled it in to the middle of the road. Then again, their's a first for everything ;)

The modern British attitude to clearing snow is totally appaling. I grew up in an era where nearly everyone except for total loosers cleared snoe from in front of their houses and helped to clear snow from old folks houses and paths too. Shop keepers cleared the snow from in front of their shops as well.

It would take 648 men about ten minutes to draw up a law saying that you would be free from being sued if you cleared snow from your paths. Our bunch of tottal muppet MP's have had thier heads up their arsess for years over this matter.

"Clearing snow from pavements outside your home could make you liable to legal action if somebody slips on ice, the government has said. But if householders leave the snow, the council is liable, Lord Davies of Oldham, for ministers, told Tory Lord Burnham at question time.

Claims against householders were "few and far between," he added.

But Tory Baroness Carnegy of Lour called for a law change, to encourage people to "do their bit"."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/3453039.stm

An while we in Britain suffer because we have muppets governing us the Scots take the decent road for their citizens.

"Criminals put to work on clearing icy pavements have met the Justice Secretary Kenny MacAskill.

He visited the young offenders at a Dunfermline sheltered housing complex, where they have been clearing the pavements since before Christmas.

Mr MacAskill said similar work was being done across Scotland, including Glasgow, Ayrshire and the Highlands.

The minister's meeting comes after the Conservatives called for criminals to be drafted in to help across Scotland.

The Scottish government said this already happened, and claimed the Tories had opposed community sentences.

'Essential service'

Speaking before his visit, Mr MacAskill said: "This is a great example of a council responding quickly during this unprecedented cold spell.

"They immediately put their community service squads to work clearing the pavements around the homes of the elderly before Christmas."

Community service squads are in Glasgow, North and South Ayrshire, Scottish Borders, Dumfries and Galloway and the Highlands, clearing pavements around hospitals, schools and the homes of elderly people.

"In Falkirk, offenders have been helping deliver an essential service to the elderly and in Lanarkshire they are helping ensure delivery of aids and adaptation equipment goes ahead," he said."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8445481.stm

Remember stories like this when the election comes around and vote out the muppets who are ruining your lives and the country. ;)

Ask a Question