Is it hard to convert from PC to Mac?

Reaction score
Im really interested in buying a new mac laptop for when I go to university, there are a few issues I have though.

I need to know what sort of compatibilty issues I may come accross, for example could I save a word document I wrote in windows onto a pen drive, and then later on open it up on a mac (which would have Microsoft Office installed)

At Uni I assume I will be using both PC's and Macs, but I just have some urge to get a mac over a PC. I know they are overpriced and whatnot, but they are so cool!

Also, is there many complicated technical stuff involved with a Mac? On windows I can solve a lot of problems by myself, is a Mac hard to get used to?

And is it still the case that a lot of programs still do not run properly on macs?

What would your advice be? Shall I take the plunge or just stick with a PC?

Thanks

GEO

Reaction score
One of my mates used to have an Mac, I have to say that I still prefer Windows. But there are more MS programs coming out that are compatable with Macs. Other than that, I don't really know much about Macs, but I'm sure that there are people on here that do. :)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Hi G~Man, you might find this link useful - it explains a bit about running Windows on a Mac. Think you're right about them looking cool - :D

Reaction score
G~MAN said:
Im really interested in buying a new mac laptop for when I go to university, there are a few issues I have though.

I need to know what sort of compatibilty issues I may come accross, for example could I save a word document I wrote in windows onto a pen drive, and then later on open it up on a mac (which would have Microsoft Office installed)

At Uni I assume I will be using both PC's and Macs, but I just have some urge to get a mac over a PC. I know they are overpriced and whatnot, but they are so cool!

Also, is there many complicated technical stuff involved with a Mac? On windows I can solve a lot of problems by myself, is a Mac hard to get used to?

And is it still the case that a lot of programs still do not run properly on macs?

What would your advice be? Shall I take the plunge or just stick with a PC?

Thanks

GEO

What is the reason you are wanting to change over to Mac...In my opinion, and I use Mac, unless you are going to be doing some serious graphic design or sound engineering..Stick with PC..Again in my opinion if its just for general Uni work research/projects then you can do all just fine on a PC

Reaction score
My sister just bought herself a Macbook, and frankly it isn't worth £1200 or however much it cost.

It looks cool, and it has a few cool things like the camera, but really it is just overpriced. It does come with Office for Mac I think, it certainly has Microsoft Word, but personally, comparing it to my Dell £550 job which I got for uni a few weeks back, it is all show and no go in my opinion. Spec wise, the Dell blows it out the water.

You might also find all kinds of annoying little issues with printers, scanners and the like that the uni might have which are not compatible with Mac or have no Mac drivers.

Still, if you want to look good, then it does look fantastic. Garageband is a great program too, but not really relevant to uni xD

Reaction score
Im going to Brighton and they have a few mac only computer rooms, so I should be okay regarding printers and that.

From what i have read, it seems pretty standard to a PC, you pay over the odds for what it is in most cases but I think I need a change from the windows OS

What was the Dell you were looking at? I was thinking of getting an XPS laptop as well, but the mac is just flirting with me

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
If you're a fashion victim, go for a Mac ;)

In my opinion it will do the job for you and you shouldn't have problems.

Yes, you will pay over the odds for the machine itself and all software and accessories you'll buy.

But.

It will make you feel good :D

And for that reason alone it's probably worth buying.

Yep, you could be boring and get a sensible machine that may be more compatible, have cheaper software and probably work faster but will it look like lust personified? :D

The new generation of Macs are good, you'll get to know and learn OSX and the kernel is very similar to Linux.

If common sense and practicality are the only things making you doubt your purchase then the hell with it - buy a Mac, you know you want to, so just do it.

Life is short, you should do the things you want, not what common sense dictates.

I mean, come on, I bought an I-Pod simply because it looks and sounds good when a Creative Zen made more sense.

Sometimes, we just want something that looks good, feels good and most importantly, makes us feel good to own it :)

Reaction score
Well said Floppy, I think i'm now going to treat myself to an iPhone as well! Im Apple crazy!

But I do think I will go for the mac, they look really nice. Now I have the HARDER decision to choose, white or black :blush:

Reaction score
I don't know, it seems companies have woken up to the fact that people don't want a boring black laptop anymore.

Bought myself a Dell Studio. It looks immense. You can get them in some really nice looking colours. Sure, its not the same as owning a Mac, and when you start it you still have to stare at Bill Gates' legacy and spend hours trying to find out why you have a BSOD, but frankly I'm poor and can't afford a Mac, so that's that. :p

If you can afford it, go buy a Mac. If you can't, get a normal laptop with a nicer paintjob.

As for black or white - it has to be white!! If its black it could be anything! You want people to know that you are a man of infinite style, and a white Mac is definitely the way to go. IMO.

Reaction score
G~MAN said:
Well said Floppy, I think i'm now going to treat myself to an iPhone as well! Im Apple crazy!

But I do think I will go for the mac, they look really nice. Now I have the HARDER decision to choose, white or black :blush:

Don't waste your time wth an iPhone, I have one and they are crap. Just reading back through the posts and seeing what other people have written..You still don't say what you are gong to be using a Mac for..Seriously, unless you are going to be doing serious graphhics and sound engineering you are just going to be waisting money buying a Mac..Take it from somebody that uses a MAc most days..

Reaction score
Just general bits and bobs, probably a little bit of photoshop from time to time but nothing to intense.

A macs OS just seems more user friendly to me, im a little tired of looking at Windows XP for the past 10 years and Vista is supposedly not very good!

We shall see though, I just needed to check if there where many compatibility issues :)

As for the iPhone, we shall see ... I am due an upgrade and it would be pretty cool piece of kit! The new one out, that supports 3G!

Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
What is the reason you are wanting to change over to Mac...In my opinion, and I use Mac, unless you are going to be doing some serious graphic design or sound engineering..Stick with PC..Again in my opinion if its just for general Uni work research/projects then you can do all just fine on a PC

I have to agree with Madxgraphics on that one, I'm afraid lol.

Reaction score
G~MAN said:
Good stuff because I have changed my mind!

I am going to SCRAP THE MAC and go for a Dell XPS M1330

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/4x_xps_m1330?c=uk&cs=ukbsdt1&l=en&s=bsd

Im going to go for the 4GB package, so it should run quickly and be future proof for the 4 years I will have it during university.

What dya think?

GMAN

Good on ya matey, think you have made a good choice there for sure..And from past experience Dell support are pretty good..

Ask a Question