Importing emails from hidden folder from Win7

Reaction score
I have a hard drive with Win7 on, pulled out of a PC because the motherboard has died and have it connected via USB/SATA cable to a Mac. I am trying to retrieve the email in Outlook 2010 (.pst files) to import into Outlook 2010 on another PC, also Win7. The folder Documents and Settings is a hidden folder and although the Mac can see it, it's not able to import and files. Connecting the drive to a PC using this process does not show the drive at all, hence I'm using a Mac, where it just springs up on the desktop.

Is there some way I can unlock this folder to gain access to the .pst files?

Any suggestions are most welcome, thank you.

Reaction score
You can do it through a PC if you know the username that was used. The PST files will be located in the following directory, which you can type in an Explorer window to navigate to directly:
<DriveLetter>:\Documents and Settings\<Username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

I know basically nothing when it comes to Macs, so I can't help you there. Good Luck!

Reaction score
Thanks very much for your reply Alow. I understand your solution, but if I connect the drive using USB/SATA cable it does not mount on the PC, so is invisible to the PC. Or have I missed something?

Reaction score
Oh, I misunderstood. I thought you had meant that just the Documents and Settings folder had been hidden, not the entire drive. The easy solution may be on the Mac, in that case. The path I gave you should still work, I just have no idea how to tell you to get to that path on a Mac. If there is any way to manually type a directory, try that out.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Thanks very much for your reply Alow. I understand your solution, but if I connect the drive using USB/SATA cable it does not mount on the PC, so is invisible to the PC. Or have I missed something?

When you plug the drive in via USB on a PC, are you able to see the drive in Computer Management ?

Reaction score
Thanks guys, for your input.
Alow, no you didn't misunderstand, I probably explained badly. I meant that the Win7 drive didn't mount or make itself visible on another PC. So I plugged it in again and it now appears, so Evan, thank you, the drive is now appearing.

I have done a search for a folder called Documents and Settings, which does not produce a result, while on the Mac it did, although unusable.

So now on this other PC the drive has mounted, but I can't find this Documents and Settings folder, but EVAN, yes it is now showing in Computer Management - OMG what do I do?

AR

Ask a Question